What's your weakness (drums or drumming)? Here's mine.

You know that songo rhythm Weckl made famous on his “Contemporary Drummer+1” book from the 80s? (The track “Island Magic”) I really suck at that one.

And I know he made it popular because after that book came out, almost every big band I subbed in had a chart based around that beat - and I suffered the dirty looks from all the band members! Ugh. One day I’ll get it together - I just avoid it by playing rock n roll 😂😂😂

Pat Boone, Debby Boone
hahaha i didnt get it right away from the pic! to add to that fill i keep my left hand going on the snare and it give it a fuller 16th note feel while basically going the same thing. I only play it one a night in song we play but its funny how i feel like drummers wathing must think im a beginner.

Trying to decipher "guitar player speak". ("I need you to do a funky floor tom thing when I go to the G at the end of the second bar of the middle solo.") :)
My sight reading has slipped a lot. When I was in college I could nail almost anything. As a result, I am pulling all of my advanced method books (various musical styles from marching to jazz) and spending at least three nights per week on this.

Reactions: A J
My biggest weakness is probably my bass drum foot. Something I'm constantly working on.
That's a common one for sure.... Try looking at Thomas Lang's Videos about certain exercises he professes that help ! Because of certain physical limitations, I can only play at a certain speed, only Hell Down on a single Bass Drum pedal.

Back