What's the easiest song you have a hard time playing?

For Wonderful Tonight I cop Steve Ferrones pattern from Clapton live.. 2 handed 16ths on the hats (quietly) like ghost notes wiith accents and a solid backbeat with kick and snare. Helps to fill that space on a very sliw song and keeps it steady.

Last edited:
Probably the Doobie Brother's Listen to the Music. The feel of that one gives me trouble for some reason.

Last edited:
I play Hard To Handle just a small amount slower than the Crowes tecording but no issue with the groove. A singer I work with pointed it out but said he prefers the tempo to sing and play guitar to.

Rocket Queen - GnR. I have a bitch of a time with that hihat shuffle and getting the right swing.

For me, its the fill transitioning out of that groove you are referring to
I guess. The part where the whole band comes in after the rim clicks and the Texas shuffle starts is my big hang up.
I practice that a million times, yet when our band plays it, I always feel like I'm not on the mark time wise.
Very frustrating.

I guess. The part where the whole band comes in after the rim clicks and the Texas shuffle starts is my big hang up.
I practice that a million times, yet when our band plays it, I always feel like I'm not on the mark time wise.
Very frustrating.

It is. I started doing it with quads until backing it down to triplets again. Sometimes it still got wonky but less frequently.

I play Hard To Handle just a small amount slower than the Crowes tecording but no issue with the groove. A singer I work with pointed it out but said he prefers the tempo to sing and play guitar to.
I catch myself playing that one a little too quickly, when I hear it played back...and i'm singing it, too, go figure :unsure:;)

Which brings up another element to the topic... I can't play and sing the chorus on this one, especially the way the Crowes do it. So the other guys have to sing that while I'm hitting those accents. I hate going that route, but it is what it is.

rebel rebel by david bowie, its not that i cant play it, its more that its the exactly same thing from start to finish almost with little variation and my mind wanders during it.

I think I put this in a similar thread some time previously: Don't Change by INXS

Great song and great band, deceptively difficult. Not in a complicated sense but in a "I still have 90 seconds left of this song and my forearms are on fire" way.

oh man, that would be most of the Iron Maiden stuff. And not saying that it is money beat easy, but compared to other stuff I play, it can be considered more straight forward.....

but

there is just a little hitch in Nicko's, Clive's and Steve Hariis' gallop that I can't quite copy. Have been trying since 1982, and can successfully get through the songs, but I feel like I am just missing something

but I can get it on bass, that is the weird thing

I'll admit that one of the easiest songs I've ever played is George Jones's "He Stopped Loving Her Today." With that said, I am absolutely terrible at this song without a metronome. I can NOT play this song without speeding up. It's soooo hard to play this slow while remaining consistent and steady.

Last edited:
I'll admit that one of the easiest songs I've ever played is George Jones's "He Stopped Loving Her Today." With that said, I am absolutely terrible at this song without a metronome. I can NOT play this song without speeding up. It's soooo hard to play this slow while remaining consistent and steady.

there are a few of the country ballads that we do that have just a weird enough space feel that I sometimes struggle...I call it the "country hitch"...like almost swing, but not quite

She Thinks I Still Care
Today I Started Loving You Again

are a few examples of these kind of songs that took me a while to "get"

Blister in the Sun
Violent Femmes

One part caffine, one part Questlove gyration and one part cat herding.

It helps to master Tejano first.

Back