What's the dumbest and most worthless drum product?

Not sure if it's the dumbest product but my wife (then girlfriend) once bought me a pair of "unbreakable" sticks. I don't even know what they were made of it wasn't wood. Literally the first hit the nylon tip went flying across the room.šŸ¤£

But I will say they never broke...or were used ever again.
That's the catch!
They are too crappy to use, so "...they'll never break! LAST FOREVER!"

Always felt like the Gibraltar Catapult bassdrum pedal was a major failure from the start.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240524_182915_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20240524_182915_Google.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 13
It's a torque wrench. It snaps at a certain torque. Just like when you torque bolts on a car engine, it gets them all the same tightness.
Right, what Iā€™m trying to say is that a head in tune with itself is about a uniform sound, not a uniform tightness of tension rods. When I was using the tool, it seemed to lack utility because I ended up tweaking each tension rod anyway.

Aside from drumming gloves, shoes and hockey stick grip tape, there are dozens of dozens of bad ideas featured on the NAMM Oddities Page: https://otheroom.com/namm20/perc.html

Come for the "No Nuts," stay for the "Junkhats," "artisinal drum bags" and the rig that will spin you and your kit around like you're part of a Motley Crue (and who would want to be that?)
Awe maaaan, I actually kind of want an Artisinal Drum Bag.

Right, what Iā€™m trying to say is that a head in tune with itself is about a uniform sound, not a uniform tightness of tension rods. When I was using the tool, it seemed to lack utility because I ended up tweaking each tension rod anyway.
Yes torque is not ideal for tuning especially when you factor in the idea that some tension rods have more resistance than
others, like the friction of washers against the hoop and tension rod is not always the same all around the drum. The key does work to a certain extent though. One thing I have noticed is the you have to place your fingers in the exact same spot on the key in order to get the same snapping point on each lug. If you hold it differently it will snap at a looser or tighter tension.

Aside from drumming gloves, shoes and hockey stick grip tape, there are dozens of dozens of bad ideas featured on the NAMM Oddities Page: https://otheroom.com/namm20/perc.html

Come for the "No Nuts," stay for the "Junkhats," "artisinal drum bags" and the rig that will spin you and your kit around like you're part of a Motley Crue (and who would want to be that?)

I use drumming gloves when my hands get cracked in the fall/winter.

I love No Nuts.

I also use tennis racquet grip tape on my sticks.

By ā€œartisanal drum bagsā€ if you are referring to the ones made by Tackle, I bought a stick back from LIDC for half price maybe a year and a half ago. I really like it. The more wear it gets, the better it looks. I also have one of their drum keys that looks like a grandfather clock key, and I love it.

I use these very often, and I find them valuable. šŸ™‚

Last edited:
The bench is _deep_ in this category but hereā€™s a recent one that made me laugh:

Iā€™m proud of this answer. I think I was the first to mention these on this forum. This is a solution screaming for a problem.

I hate the wing nuts on cymbal stands. It's the one thing that tells the audience you're moving on to the packing phase of the gig, and it's time to see if the other musicians will help you in any way or leave you in the dust. And you never can twirl them just right with one finger. They need to design something you press down, hear a click, then remove!

I hate the wing nuts on cymbal stands. It's the one thing that tells the audience you're moving on to the packing phase of the gig, and it's time to see if the other musicians will help you in any way or leave you in the dust. And you never can twirl them just right with one finger. They need to design something you press down, hear a click, then remove!
Are you talking about something like Tama cymbal mates, Pearl wing loc, or other similar things?

Attachments

• tama cymbal mate.jpg
    tama cymbal mate.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 0
Iā€™m proud of this answer. I think I was the first to mention these on this forum. This is a solution screaming for a problem.
Well, I checked this video - if it is legit - and if you listen to before:

and after:

I can hear a difference, there is a lot more ring.
But why would you want that?
Didn't you buy the wrong drum (or heads) then?

I use drumming gloves when my hands get cracked in the fall/winter.

I love No Nuts.

I also use tennis racquet grip tape on my sticks.

By ā€œartisanal drum bagsā€ if you are referring to the ones made by Tackle, I bought a stick back from LIDC for half price maybe a year and a half ago. I really like it. The more wear it gets, the better it looks. I also have one of their drum keys that looks like a grandfather clock key, and I love it.

I use these very often, and I find them valuable. šŸ™‚
We 100% agree on the shoes, though. Good!IMG_1547.jpeg

My vote goes to the DW Low Boy hihat. Does anyone here use one? If so, in what context? I see the Low boy in historical context, but can't think of any useful reason to use one today?

What other products do you think are complete bunk? Maybe I use one, LOL!
To me, that low-boy hi-hat, if it's the one that I'm thinking about, is useful for cajon players. I'd love to have one for my cajon gigs, but I do so few of them that I can't justify the cost. I don't see anyone else offering a similar product, so its DW premium priced, so I'll go without.

Back