whats the best source to improve on disco drumming?

Like any other genre; listen a lot, copy, rinse, repeat. Although not necessary, it’s helps to get yourself in the right headspace when your kit sounds similar to what you’re trying to imitate. I would muffle up and get to work. Good luck.

Saturday Night Fever even has a song called Disco Inferno , but most of the album covers variations of it .

Fly Robin Fly - Silver Connection

Donna Summer ..........

Four on the floor bass drum, pea soup hihat will get you pointed in the right direction . No ringy snare .

Last edited:
YMCA- Village people
Grooveline - Heatwave
Let it Whip - Dazz Band

Reactions: I-P
I would say a metronome and a solid 4/4 back beat are the best practice tools one could have for disco.

The Foo Fighters doing Bee Gees tunes is a cool modern example of disco if you want something a little different.

Last edited:
Disco Inferno.

Chaka Khan - I'm Every Woman

Reactions: I-P
One time, when I was 7 years old, the folks took too long waking up one hungover Sunday morning. To provide some inspired motivation for them,
I fired up the hi-fi(remember those?) and played, at generous volume, Silver Convention, "Get Up and Boogie!" Always been MY favourite
disco tune of all time!💃🕺

One time, when I was 7 years old, the folks took too long waking up one hungover Sunday morning. To provide some inspired motivation for them,
I fired up the hi-fi(remember those?) and played, at generous volume, Silver Convention, "Get Up and Boogie!" Always been MY favourite
disco tune of all time!💃🕺

Did you get punished?

Go find a local hall or club where oldies get together and dance on weekend nights, join in and hit the floor with them for an hour or two!
Get into the time feel with your body before sitting down at a drumkit.

Last edited:
Did you get punished?
No, actually. Even back then, mom knew my sense of humour was demented lunacy. She came downstairs about 10-15 seconds after the music
began, looking WELL partied out( because, 1977!o_O)shaking her head, chuckling at my brazen teasing. She told me to turn it down, they wanted to sleep some more. And that I was making my own breakfast, too!:LOL:

Back