What was the name of this Ludwig finish?

Axe

I ordered this 8" tom many years ago and the name eludes me...anybody?
Thanks!

Attachments

• 20240208_183953.jpg
    20240208_183953.jpg
    605.6 KB · Views: 28
  • 20240208_184026.jpg
    20240208_184026.jpg
    701.2 KB · Views: 29
Blue Strata
I respectfully disagree. Blue Strata goes around the drum, not vertically, and it's much less evenly spaced than this finish. This looks like the Blue Makassar finish that Ludwig first used on the Signet Line.

Blue Makassar on the left, Blue Strata on the right.
1707456905531.png1707456973734.png

Thanks for the responses - it's definitely not the Signet finish though... and I was wrong I ordered a 6" tom not an 8...it's a little more green than is showing up in the pics...

Looks like Alpine Blue

Thanks for the responses - it's definitely not the Signet finish though... and I was wrong I ordered a 6" tom not an 8...it's a little more green than is showing up in the pics...
Ah, Your right, it’s not….. I should have paid more attention to the lugs.

It could be the Electrostatic Green finish that came on the Classic Maple line? Or Blue…..

Attachments

• IMG_8369.jpeg
    IMG_8369.jpeg
    99.9 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_8370.jpeg
    IMG_8370.jpeg
    71.3 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Alpine Blue is what I come up with un a Google photo search as well.
Screenshot_20240209_080736_Google.jpg

Those are not Signet badges on OP drums in question Not Signet lugs, either.

Signet finishes, if I'm not mistaken was actually the outer ply not a wrap.

Last edited:
It's the Signet veneer, but coated for a smooth feel and richer look. I'm not sure if that was considered an Electrostatic finish, which included multiple colors that weren't Signet veneers.

Of course the Signet veneers were 'manufactured' finishes, so Ludwig could have created more colors in those grains.

I like the Ebony Macassar. (Note: I installed the tom mount on the kick.)

_drum_sig_studio.jpg

My drum is 100% Electrostatic Green, Classic Maple not Signet...ordered a 6" Aquaburst and EG at the same time... thanks for all the replies

Classic Maple not Signet...

The Signet line came & went quickly and Ludwig had a lot of outer finish ply leftover, so they started to offer that in a coated version on other lines. I'm not absolutely sure that it became the Electrostatic, but it would make sense. Ludwig didn't waste anything. The Signet iso mounts ended up on the Neusonic line a few years later. :)

The Signet line came & went quickly and Ludwig had a lot of outer finish ply leftover, so they started to offer that in a coated version on other lines. I'm not absolutely sure that it became the Electrostatic, but it would make sense. Ludwig didn't waste anything. The Signet iso mounts ended up on the Neusonic line a few years later. :)
Ah, so what you're saying is EG might just be the Signet finish with some gloss added...
I wish I had ordered an entire kit in EG, really dig the finish.

This is from the 1968 Ludwig catalog... would it be that old and you added the Atlas mount?
Yours looks like the second color from the left:
1707520035488.png

Back