What size is your main snare? Why?

justinxIP

Just wanted to see what you guys thought about the different sizes of snares. I currently use a 14x5 tama superstar snare since my kit is a superstar as well. I was looking into trading this guy on Craigslist for a 13x6 black panther premium series Birdseye maple. He wants my Zildjian A medium ride and a 17" A Custom crash. I don't really use either regularly so it's not really a hit on me. You don't really have to say whether that's a good deal or not though it would be appreciated. My main question is what snare sizes do you like and why? What would you consider ok and versatile enough to use as your main snare? Why?

My main snare has changed many times over the years depending on gig or circumstance. I've used 13 x 3, 14 x 5 and 14 x 6.5. The 13 x 3 was for a specific gig and a little too limiting for me personally in terms of general use. The 14 x5 is excellent but lacks the bottom end of a deeper drum. For the most part a 14 x 6.5 has been a mainstay, especially for rock. It just has that throaty bark that I can't get from a 14 x 5, but I can crank it right up for a tight pop if I need to too......just so much more versitile for my purposes. I have 4 snares with those dimensions which outranks any other size in my arsenal. I guess you could say it's definitely my favourite size snare.

lots of sizes depending on which gig/band Im playing in. Typically its a Brady 5.5x14 or 8 x 14. Other times it's my Sonor 12 x 5...or my BB 6.5x14. just depends on the venue, band and sound required.

F

As stated, it depends on the gig. For a rock thing, it's usually my 6.5x14, for anything else it's my 5x14 Rogers or 5x14 Acrolite. Ideally, I'd like a versatile piccolo that would be my main snare in a lot of situations, but until then, it's one of these.

I'm also currently building a 5.5x14 Maple, so depending on how that thing sings when I decide hoops, heads, and snares, that may turn into my main snare.

I could play anything I need to on my 14 x 6.5" maple drum for the rest of my life and be completely happy, wanting for nothing. I've been playing it for almost 6 years now it does super high, high, medium, low, everything...like a champ. One great drum...multiple tunings, is all I need. Anything less deep sounds too thin to me. Piccolos especially irratate me. Sorry.

I could play anything I need to on my 14 x 6.5" maple drum for the rest of my life and be completely happy, wanting for nothing. I've been playing it for almost 6 years now it does super high, high, medium, low, everything...like a champ. One great drum...multiple tunings, is all I need. Anything less deep sounds too thin to me. Piccolos especially irratate me. Sorry.

I'm like Larry, I've always been inspired by seeing guys make one drum do so many things that parts of me doesn't understand seeing someone like Thomas Lang or Jojo Mayer with two. But the quickness of just having a phat drum, and then a regular snare makes some musical sense. But alot of what I do doesn't require that, though.

If I really need horsepower, I use my Ahead 14x6.​
The snare I'm using the most, right now, is an Omar Hakim, 13x5.​

I have all kinds of snares from nickel over brass, acrylic, wood, steel and all kinds of sizes from 14x3.5 to 14x10. My fav is the 14x10 maple, I just love deep snare sound.

I have two. Both are 6.5 x 14. I would take 5 x 14 as a close second. I was in marching band in high school so deep snares don't bother me as far as sound is concerned. It's just that I carry heavy bass drums and floor toms around, so my lighter drums are a welcome relief when I move my kit.

I found my perfect size, 14x7. Plenty of balls for the lower tunings but i can still crank it right up and have it singing like a 14x5

*sigh*

on my 80's Yamaha Recording custom, piano black lacquer, I had a 14 X 7 red ass lacquer snare.

I listen to the recordings from back then... holy cow I loved that snare.

Miss it.

My main rig is now a 2000 Craviotto / DW 14 X 5.5 I think. I had a 13 of the same vintage but sold it like a ninny.

LIke I sold my DW Bell Brass.... ugh. Still sick about that one.

-K

6.5 x 14 Pearl Ian Paice Sig , it is my vote for most under-rated snare, for its price range. hugely versatile

I have the 13 x 6 black panther premium maple ( mines not birdseye ) with a powerstroke 3 head, the sound of it is just beautiful to me. it's not super loud, but I'm not a loud heavy hitter either. This snare goes perfect with my premier xpk kit. try that one out first if possible, and see if it's for you...

I always play with at least 2 snares. An LM400 and what ever other snare I feel like using. Lately it has been a 400 and a 14x6.5 Mapex Brass Master for rock, country and latin groups. The 400 is usually fairly cranked and the Brass Master is midrange. I have one set up I use with some acoustic rock, folk, blues and R&B groups which consists of a Tama Starclassic Maple 20x18 kick, 14x12 floor tom, 2 400s, the Brass Master and a late 60's Ludwig Pioneer. I will be using this kit tonight and I will try to gets some pics up if I have a chance. I had been using the set for a while and then I found some Chris Dave videos on YouTube after seeing him with Erika Badu and Maxwell. Watching him play an all snare kit made me feel right at home.
I have also been playing a vented-all-around-the-center stave bubinga 13x6.5 at a buddy/venue owners house that I might have to pick up too. I don't know why someone would do that to a stave shell, but it has a great crack due to its' size.

Been using a 14x5 brass sensitone for the last 7 years or so, but realised it has gone out of round the other day- like majorly out of round... still sounds great but it's almost elliptical now.

Anyway I went and bought a 13x6.5 Yamaha sensitive snare which sounds awesome and using that as my main now- has a higher pitch, being a smaller drum, which cuts through really well and I love it.

Was tempted to get a guru but I didn't feel I knew enough about snare drum subtleties to warrant the extra money. Maybe one day.......

I have three personal snares that get the vast majority of use, all steambent solids.

One is a 6x13 bubinga that can go from low and full to tight and poppy. It's very loud and has a great authoritative tone. The second is a 5.5x14 maple -- simple, clean, classic -- with a wide tuning range and great sensitivity. The third is a 6.5x14 walnut that has a very full sound, warm voice and excellent range. I own several others but these three are the workhorses.

By coincidence, they're all Carolina Drumworks drums. :)

Back