What part of the Drum Set Could You Go Without?

What part of the Drum Set Could You Go Without?

• Hi Hat

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Crashes

Votes: 6 15.4%
  • Ride

Votes: 4 10.3%
  • Snare

• Toms

Votes: 8 20.5%
  • Bass Drum

• Stands

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Auxiliary Percussion

Votes: 20 51.3%

• Total voters
Ride cymbal. In my Glam Rock band I leave it at home after realising that none of the songs we played had a ride cymbal in them. I could probably ditch cymbals too as I deliberately avoid the "dum dum diddly dum crash" fill

Ride cymbal. In my Glam Rock band I leave it at home after realising that none of the songs we played had a ride cymbal in them. I could probably ditch cymbals too as I deliberately avoid the "dum dum diddly dum crash" fill
Just who do you think you are? Lars Ulrich?

:LOL:

You made it too easy by including aux percussion. But besides that choice I could live without a ride if I had to, as well as most toms but I would absolutely need a 16 or 18 FT.

Last edited:
The last two choices are strange. Stands and aux percussion.
Aux percussion = cow bell??? If I have no cowbell I have to lady killer.
OK so I picked Stands. Yeah sure, I need my cymbals and snare, but I can do without stands....... WHAT?????
So now I have my snare and cymbals, but they are on the floor. !*$!*&^!$

The last two choices are strange. Stands and aux percussion.
Aux percussion = cow bell??? If I have no cowbell I have to lady killer.
OK so I picked Stands. Yeah sure, I need my cymbals and snare, but I can do without stands....... WHAT?????
So now I have my snare and cymbals, but they are on the floor. !*$!*$^!$

Jim can you teach me how to lady killer? I need to know what to do when I've got no cowbell.

♥️+S ? ??

Well as far as I'm concerned the "rate limiting factors" are hats, snare, bass drum and stands-you could get by with no ride, toms, extra percussion, and crashes and still play a song, but why would you?

Toms

Wow no more 20 character rule.

I'd have a 6 piece with full accessory rack and 2 floors: IF IT DIDN'T WEIGH ANYTHING. Simple as that.

I mean. I use all the drums I have. If I didn't I wouldn't bring them to gigs. Sometimes I have brought AUX percussion, but I never NEEDED it.
That would be my first thing to dump.

Now, is this for just a gig? forever? I could get by moving my ride parts to the hats, getting rid of A tom or all of my toms. The music might suffer a bit, but it would be fine.

Give me kick snare and hats or ride and I can play a groove and do some fills.

Depends on the gig.

I play rock, country, bluegrass, and worship music. It just all depends on the music I have to play at the time.

My second ride. That was tough. I almost said my hats, but I use 2 rides so one could go I guess...

Question: What part of the Drum Set Could You Go Without?

Terry Bozzio: None! I need it all!

:)

I keep pondering this question because I find it interesting. If I reword it and ask myself 'what parts couldn't I live without' it gets easier: kick, snare, hi-hat, ride(s), accompanying stands, double pedal, throne, sticks, done.

I could get rid of anything apart from Bass Drum, Snare and Hats

Back