What is old is new again: My NAMM report

So it's time for Guru to come out with a maple/poplar/maple white marine pearl 20/14/12 with matching snare. I'd buy one! :)

I wonder if others at NAMM had the same feeling.......seems about right though.

It is interesting as I know many studio guys have various pet kits that may be valuable collectors kits and/or impossible to replace etc. and those are the kits that they track with. Once someone develops a sound based on some key vintage tones whether it is cymbals or an old Rogers, Ludwig etc. kit people want to duplicate it.

One other potential angle is that many of those vintage kits are "studio only" kits due to the inability to replace them as well as the lack of modern hardware make taking a 1950s classic kit out for a 7 month tour an impossibility. A small niche exists for new drums capturing 90% of that old sound and vibe but in a package with modern hardware, finishes and non-collectors pricing etc. seems to make sense.

From a jazz perspective, I think it is obvious many hard core bop guys prefer keeping the "old" sounds alive and well, whether that is the sounds of the old cymbals or the small cocktail kits. The sound hasn't really changed but the instruments preferred to make that sound are getting older, more worn and more expensive and hard to replace. Enter in Kerope etc. that captures some of that magic in a readily available package. Beats trying to find THE cymbal from the 40s in a used shop somewhere in the world.

Commenting on the Vistalites...I've had my set of '76 Vistalites about 6 months now. Yeah, they were somewhat gimmicky at the time. But, you know what? They look good on stage, and sound pretty damn good. For a live setting, the acrylic shells project very well. Our sound guy loves them: they sound good, project well, and, if a little more is needed, mic up very well. They've become my primary gigging kit. IMO, re-introducing them is not a mere gimmick. For one, other companies are offering acrylic drums, so it keeps Ludwig in that market segment. Second, they offer the unique acrylic sound. So, why not?

Just to clarify, I never said Visalites were gimmicky.

The Tequila Sunrise color scheme was gimmicky at the time.

(example pic, not from NAMM)
320px-Ludwig_vistalite.jpg

Just to clarify, I never said Visalites were gimmicky.

The Tequila Sunrise color scheme was gimmicky at the time.

(example pic, not from NAMM)
320px-Ludwig_vistalite.jpg

I like them. Not that much though, I guess.
I passed on a 4 pc. set recently for $400. They were pretty beat up, but nothing that was unrepairable. Just couldn't bring myself to go for it.

The trend is even more pronounced with synthesizers, I think.

It all started out analog, then digital came along and people couldn't dump their analog synths quick enough - practically giving them away.

Now, those same analog synths go for ridiculously outrageous amounts.
That pricing trend might soon be changing though, because analog is all the rage again and manufacturers are starting to crank out products.

And so it goes - circular.

I cruised by the analog synth section. Lots of people there playing with them.

Have rock and jazz reached the end of all they can do, and that is why their is such a focus on going back to the old days?

lol

Yes it's like classical music, let's play some that pre-WW Imperialist rot, written by proto-nazis and pirate slave merchants, because those were the good old times. Not trying to start a culture war, but I think it is important to point out there are reasons why these things must come to an end and people move on.

Yes it's like classical music, let's play some that pre-WW Imperialist rot, written by proto-nazis and pirate slave merchants, because those were the good old times. Not trying to start a culture war, but I think it is important to point out there are reasons why these things must come to an end and people move on.

In case you didn't know, all of humanity are a bunch of sociopaths, so if you're gonna base your appreciation on art that has no imperialist/racist overtones....good luck living in a cave.

I don't think anybody is even advocating that we go back to the way things were, in fact I think I've made the argument that this isn't really even about nostalgia, but rather delivering on the promises of vintage kits without the headache of owning a 40+ year-old set of drums.

A lot of folks my age got burned when we went to buy our first nice kit from all the stupid custom keller builders around 2001-2004. Often kits we paid over 2K for would end up only being sellable for under 1k. When it came time to buy our next kits we stuck with vintage and more conservative modern kits because we knew that if we wanted a different kit we could actually keep some equity in our drums when going from kit to kit.

So it's time for Guru to come out with a maple/poplar/maple white marine pearl 20/14/12 with matching snare. I'd buy one! :)
Not going to happen. There's enough people doing that, & doing it quite well.

It probably is about time Guru went to NAMM though, but hell it's a lot of money, especially if you're not that interested in attracting dealers / distribution without increasing prices substantially.

When it came time to buy our next kits we stuck with vintage and more conservative modern kits because we knew that if we wanted a different kit we could actually keep some equity in our drums when going from kit to kit.

I always go for kits that give me exactly what I want (sound and feel), but I always have resale value and the manufacturer's track record on my mind as well in case I need money fast or for a bad case of GAS. I rarely throw money out the window.

I'm ok now, but I still can foresee a not so distant future where I'll find a way to justify the purchase of a new kit.

I know my then future impulsive self will apreciate the hard planning work done by my current rational self. Then we will celebrate with a drink each :)

Not going to happen. There's enough people doing that, & doing it quite well.

It probably is about time Guru went to NAMM though, but hell it's a lot of money, especially if you're not that interested in attracting dealers / distribution without increasing prices substantially.

I'll help you any way I can, like if you need a "ship to" address. No problem.

In case you didn't know, all of humanity are a bunch of sociopaths, so if you're gonna base your appreciation on art that has no imperialist/racist overtones....good luck living in a cave.

I'm just saying nothing has come out of Europe in the past hundred years or so, because the desire to return to that period of "good times", is so strong. I put it in quotes, because they were only good for those that weren't be sacrificed in catholic religious ceremonies called the inquisition, or the subject of other pogroms.

I'm just saying nothing has come out of Europe in the past hundred years or so, because the desire to return to that period of "good times", is so strong. I put it in quotes, because they were only good for those that weren't be sacrificed in catholic religious ceremonies called the inquisition, or the subject of other pogroms.

Are we still talking about drums??

If so, the drumset isn't much older than 100 years, and is was mostly put together for American styles of music. That being said, there are plenty of companies in Europe making excellent drums and/or cymbals, like Sonor.

I don't think it's fair to say that "Nothing has come out of Europe in the past 100 years"

Most drummers' thing, unless they're way into the electronics, is a traditional good sounding drumkit and eventual ad ons of various traditional instruments from all around the world, which is "new" to that drummer. Other than that a small collection of snares that you connect with.

New cymbals isn't really the thing either. Consistently good sounding ones are.

There will always be room for hardware improvements and choices though, as well as new percussion gadgets.

With Guru doing a great job at Stave and Segment drums, I don't see them going into the ply business anytime soon. Correction if necessary please.

Are we still talking about drums??

If so, the drumset isn't much older than 100 years, and is was mostly put together for American styles of music. That being said, there are plenty of companies in Europe making excellent drums and/or cymbals, like Sonor.

I don't think it's fair to say that "Nothing has come out of Europe in the past 100 years"

Why, if it weren't for small pox no one would even use snares.

Regarding whether or not anything new is actually out there greatly depends on the music. Musically there is nothing new that demands new and unique ways to be expressed, especially when you consider what's popular these days. Depending on your particular era, whatever is new is probably considered worse than eras that came before, wouldn't you say?

Absolutely.

In regards to the Pearl fiber/wood drums, that's more a response to fiberglass having been a kind of disregarded drummaking material for a while now. The pendulum is just swinging the other way, what with those kits and Jenkins-Martins. Maybe we'll see other takes on it.

The only places where fiberglass drums are being constructed are in places overseas or where the local EPA doesn't have draconian rules (IE CA).

Blaemaire (Jenkins-Martin Drum Company) was forced to move to Ohio because of the CA EPA.

Why, if it weren't for small pox no one would even use snares.

What are you talking about? Small Pox most likely originated in Egypt and was spread throughout by traders in the 1st century BC. Snare drums didn't start being used until the 14th and 15th century AD, and originated in Europe....

What does this have to do with a return to vintage looking/sounding drums?

Back