What do you think of this idea

In the old days pirates would use mirrors to reflect sunlight below decks.

I've always wanted to be a pirate. I'd like to fly a Jolly Roger outside my house, but my wife fears it would raise suspicion. I've tried to convince her that, on the contrary, we'd become the quiet envy of the neighborhood, but she isn't buying that line of reasoning.

Jolly Roger.jpg

Last edited:
I've always wanted to be a pirate. I'd like to fly a jolly roger outside my house, but my wife fears it would raise suspicion. I've tried to convince her that, on the contrary, we'd become the quiet envy of the neighborhood, but she isn't buying that line of reasoning.

View attachment 103076
Now I wanna do that too!

In today's world, I think it would be okay. It's not a rebel flag. That might get your house burned down.

Now I wanna do that too!

In today's world, I think it would be okay. It's not a rebel flag. That might get your house burned down.

A smiling Jolly Roger with an eyepatch is a rather welcoming image in my book. It signifies, "We have weaponry, loot, and rum, so come on in for a rip-roaring time." What could be more festive?

Back in Texas, one of my neighbors had a doormat that read "LEAVE." He was actually a friendly and easygoing sort, so the command was rather ironic. I inquired about it once, and he explained that he got it specifically for in-law visits, though, to his dismay, it was ineffective at warding them off.

Oh ok I get it now, I had to use fiber optics for a test in one of the military schools but the light output was only used for data transfer not to actually illuminate anything, but using a difuser and a lense it does now make sense. Still you would have to run some fiber and make sure it is somewhat protected, seems a little involved but if you pull it off it would be quite cool.

I've always wanted to be a pirate. I'd like to fly a Jolly Roger outside my house, but my wife fears it would raise suspicion. I've tried to convince her that, on the contrary, we'd become the quiet envy of the neighborhood, but she isn't buying that line of reasoning.

View attachment 103076
I hit jolly rogers when it's open during the summer Out by the water..watching boats go up and down sipping a brew feeling a breeze. It's the life.

Crawl space encapulation is a thing here. I'm considering it for the future, but I still have lots of work to do down there. In the winter, my floors are cold from the air under the house and it reflects in our heating costs. It seals the crawl space from the inside, dirt and all:
View attachment 103064

my parents did a treatment like this to their full basement in our old turn of the century farm house...it was like magic! No more mold, musty smell etc...crazy...and crazy expensive, but worth it. I think they also got some help from the city via some program about upgrading the historic houses in that part of town

When I was a little kid and got scared going to dark rooms, I imagined I had a light saber and if the demon/ghost attacked then I would just shash him in half... it helped...

when I was a kid, I would pretend to be a demon, and always go this other kids basement who thought he had a light saber...it was fun to mess with him...

:cool:

I hit jolly rogers when it's open during the summer Out by the water..watching boats go up and down sipping a brew feeling a breeze. It's the life.

my best friends last name is Rogers, and they had a double masted sail boat up on Lake Erie back in the day...their jib sail was a huge black sail with the jolly rogers skull on it. They were known all over Sandusky Bay for that sail. Their main sail was a big orange one with a Cleveland Browns helmet on it....when that sail was up, the boat was always not moving, or running aground.... :cool:

we would sail from SAndussky Ohio, up to Pictured Rocks Provincial Park area in June of my fresh and sophomore year, living on the boat....THAT was awesome!

my best friends last name is Rogers, and they had a double masted sail boat up on Lake Erie back in the day...their jib sail was a huge black sail with the jolly rogers skull on it. They were known all over Sandusky Bay for that sail. Their main sail was a big orange one with a Cleveland Browns helmet on it....when that sail was up, the boat was always not moving, or running aground.... :cool:

we would sail from SAndussky Ohio, up to Pictured Rocks Provincial Park area in June of my fresh and sophomore year, living on the boat....THAT was awesome!
....damb! I can feel that. Nothing more exilerating other than maybe the kit of your dreams. Thanks for sharing that.

For the people who have the space to put a seperate above ground building for drums that needs to be soundproofed...Go ahead and chuckle but I was thinking...instead of doing the whole room within a room thing...Why not get a backhoe and a concrete truck. Maybe a dump truck or relevel your lawn. Dig a hole, Form it out, and pour your soundproofing mass in. I just think it's much less problematic to control environmental air than soundwaves. It may not need cooling in the summer. But it would need circulation and de-humidifying most likely. Heat in the winter. But again, it's starting from what 55 degrees instead of 32 or lower air temps. No drafts. A little crypt-like but when I'm in my basement I'm underground. Hide the concrete with nice stuff

The roof and the entrance...I figure the roof could stick up enough for an entrance, like an old spring house. With a Batpole, preferably. Then I'd be walking on a combo floor/roof that would somehow have an opening for the Batpole.

I know it's not perfect, I'm just spitballin' and wanted to hear your thoughts. It seems like it would be a lot less expensive for the structure part. No green glue, blah blah, 2 actual rooms, shingles, siding, soundproofing material, foam, bass traps, and every other little costly detail that has to be done for an above ground structure. Someone could rent a minidig machine and dig the hole themselves for cheap. Sell the clean fill or rent a dumper and haul it away. I'd want to frame it out with cedar, (not PT) and get that moisture proof purple sheetrock. I had some extra scraps of the purple stuff out in the rain for months after I redid my basement a few years ago and I couldn't believe how perfect it stayed.

The electric and heating and cooling are a wash, both structures would need climate control and electric in some form. Fiber optics for natural sunlight?
What if: You dug a partial 'hole' and used the dirt to build up a 'hill' to put around 3 sides of the room? You'd still get partial thermal temp control, sound control and it wouldn't be nearly as expensive as building an underground bunker?

Back