Well, I thought I was going to escape Remo's poor QC with Evans...

Liaztraht

Silver Member
Never had an issue with them before, but its the EXACT same problem on one tom head. I guess its better then the 3 I had in a row from Remo. Permanent wrinkle right at the seam on the flesh hoop :(

Lets hope they are more on top of it than Remo ever was to me lol.

1.jpg2.jpg

Never had an issue with them before, but its the EXACT same problem on one tom head. I guess its better then the 3 I had in a row from Remo. Permanent wrinkle right at the seam on the flesh hoop :(

Lets hope they are more on top of it than Remo ever was to me lol.

View attachment 143355View attachment 143356
Was that dent there before you put the head on? If it only appeared afterwards it could be an issue with the bearing edge.

Was that dent there before you put the head on? If it only appeared afterwards it could be an issue with the bearing edge.
It was there first.

I don't think it's the bearing edge, they are smooth and flat. When I had good Remo heads, they fit fine. And I have had the same issue with Remo on past kits.

Currently have my Renowns, but had it happen on my Yamaha, Ludwig, and Mapex kits in the past when I owned them.

My last set of Remos had all 3 toms doing that, but not to this extreme. Usually I see it on the floor toms, mostly 16" toms.

The head also appears to be warped. It doesn't sit flat on the bearing edge, but the G1 I got for the reso fits the batter side perfectly.

The head also appears to be warped. It doesn't sit flat on the bearing edge, but the G1 I got for the reso fits the batter side perfectly.
Are you having them shipped? Maybe they are getting bent in transit?

It's kinda crazy - I haven't had that many defective heads in 49 years of drumming. I need to be thankful, I guess!

It's kinda crazy - I haven't had that many defective heads in 49 years of drumming. I need to be thankful, I guess!
Shipped through Sweetwater. Box was not damaged, but that head was on the bottom of the stack.

Only local shop around here that sells drum heads with enough selection is guitar center, and they have had limited supply in what I want.

Similar story here. I have had zero defective drumheads since I began buying them in 1984. I buy from brick-and-mortar stores, however. Maybe that's the difference?

Similar story here. I have had zero defective drumheads since I began buying them in 1984. I buy from brick-and-mortar stores, however. Maybe that's the difference?
I'd bet so. I'm sure the brick and mortar places get them from wholesalers or manufacturers in correctly sized boxes, without other stuff in there.

I haven't had a defective head by Remo or Evans in years of use. Mostly they are shipped from the store. Maybe my store packs them very well?
Sweetwater packs things well. They did ship from their new distribution center though.

I have a defective Evans head recently. They replaced it. It happens.
I contacted them before posting, but it was after hours.

I guess I get to pit them against Remo on CS time. Remo's fastest time for me was a month and a half, with a week between responses 😆

• Wow
Reactions: I-P
Was the head under performance tension in the first photo? Typically these dimples or areas where the film has buckled will disappear under tension and you'd never notice a difference. However, if the head isn't resonating like you're used to and/or the dimple doesn't go away, the dimple may be a symptom of a larger issue. It's not uncommon for this to happen at the seam of the flesh hoop but again, if there are actual performance issues, then it's a problem.

This doesn't typically happen through shipping but is actually caused when the film is inserted into the hoop for prior to gluing. While this is noticeable visually, it tends to have little-to-no effect on the performance of the drumhead and is generally not considered a defect. As a result, QC wouldn't flag this. That said, D'Addario customer service is generally quite willing to replace products that someone has any issue with, so be sure to contact them if you're noticing a genuine change in performance.

Was the head under performance tension in the first photo? Typically these dimples or areas where the film has buckled will disappear under tension and you'd never notice a difference. However, if the head isn't resonating like you're used to and/or the dimple doesn't go away, the dimple may be a symptom of a larger issue. It's not uncommon for this to happen at the seam of the flesh hoop but again, if there are actual performance issues, then it's a problem.

This doesn't typically happen through shipping but is actually caused when the film is inserted into the hoop for prior to gluing. While this is noticeable visually, it tends to have little-to-no effect on the performance of the drumhead and is generally not considered a defect. As a result, QC wouldn't flag this. That said, D'Addario customer service is generally quite willing to replace products that someone has any issue with, so be sure to contact them if you're noticing a genuine change in performance.
That photo was when I had it tensioned above where I tune my 12 inch tom attempting to seat it. My preferred tuning on a 16 is a bit above JAW, but at that tension it flaps.

I've gotten used to tuning a little higher to compensate for that on Remo heads, but to make this one usable, I need to pitch it where I tune my 14, which is a good bit higher; that in turn pitches my 14 and 12 up into jazz ranges. I already tune my 14 closer to medium, so the 16 is getting up there.

The G1 I got for the reso had a little wrinkle in the same spot, but it flattend and tuned out as soon as it hit finger tight. It is right at the seam on the hoop.

And I did already contact, but it was after hours.

If you've had this happen multiple times on multiple drumsets, with two manufacturers, there's something else going on.

If you've had this happen multiple times on multiple drumsets, with two manufacturers, there's something else going on.
First time having this issue with Evan's, but I've used about 10 times as many Remo heads over the years, and about 3 times as many Aquarian.

It's not the way I tune as there is not enough tension to damage a head like that. Haven't played the head yet other than tuning (or attempting to tune). I don't seat the heads, unless I'm trying to work out a stubborn one.

All other heads tuned up fine without any struggles. g2 and g1 on all toms, EQ 3 on the kick front and back, and g1 and 300 on snare. The G1 on the 16 had a wrinkle in the same spot, but it came out right at finger tight.

Only ever been an issue with 2 ply heads, or ones with a dampening ring like the PS3. Mostly on larger drums, especially floor toms. Kicks are easier to work around.

I think it's just poor luck.

I dropped my Remo endorsement in 2001 because of chronic quality issues with Pinstripes and Emperors that made the heads un-tunable. I switched to Evans and have never had a problem of any kind with their heads. And no, they don't hand-pick heads for their artists.

The worst part of my Remo experience was that they denied there were any problems, yet invited me to return any bad heads and they would happily replace them. It would have been nice if they had happily exercised some quality control in the first place!

had this issue once with aquarian, they replaced the head for me almost immediately (stock was waiting in the supplier warehouse). same when i had a defective snare head (head was clangy at all tensions and it wouldnt tension up properly and coating peeled off) they replaced it no problems.

d'addario/evans should replace it for you no problems as well, as last i knew they prided themselves on their customer service, or maybe sweetwater will replace it for you :)

I dropped my Remo endorsement in 2001 because of chronic quality issues with Pinstripes and Emperors that made the heads un-tunable. I switched to Evans and have never had a problem of any kind with their heads. And no, they don't hand-pick heads for their artists.

The worst part of my Remo experience was that they denied there were any problems, yet invited me to return any bad heads and they would happily replace them. It would have been nice if they had happily exercised some quality control in the first place!
I just seem to have terrible luck 😆

had this issue once with aquarian, they replaced the head for me almost immediately (stock was waiting in the supplier warehouse). same when i had a defective snare head (head was clangy at all tensions and it wouldnt tension up properly and coating peeled off) they replaced it no problems.

d'addario/evans should replace it for you no problems as well, as last i knew they prided themselves on their customer service, or maybe sweetwater will replace it for you :)
I hear nothing but good about their CS.

I'll bother Sweetwater if that fails, as it looks more like a manufacturing issue.

Back