Was given a Tama 6740 last night...looking for info

You need a socket to remove the nut opposite side of the spring perch (step 1).

You need allen wrench(es) to remove the spring perch and bearing collars, and to loosen the cam (step 2).

The chain is (I believe) attached with a screw at the footboard (step 3).

That should be all you need to undo.

Step 4: Remove bearings to free the hex shaft.

Step 5: Remove hex shaft assembly.

Step 6: Swap cam and chain* for strap setup.

Reassembly is done in reverse order.

*Make sure you note in which position the new cam goes on. You have 12 choices. Six are backwards, and five of the six remaining are wrong.
Hahaha! Good point! Well glad to know that I have the tools to do it already. Thx Dave!

Put your pedals on a scale. My guess is the Tama pedal is significantly lighter. A lighter pedal has less

Could also be the beater. A lighter beater takes less motivation to move than a heavier one.

Might be a combination of the two, with spring tension thrown in for good measure.
Put your pedals on a scale. My guess is the Tama pedal is significantly lighter. A lighter pedal has less mass to move, and therefore should be more responsive to what you are doing.

Could also be the beater. A lighter beater takes less motivation to move than a heavier one.

Might be a combination of the two, with spring tension thrown in for good measure.

Add in the shape of the cam, which changes the length of the lever arm, which changes how much force you need to push down with for the pedal to move. A more pronounced eccentric cam will respond differently than a round cam. A smaller round cam will respond differently than a larger cam.

How extended are your beaters. Above the center will need more force and have a higher inertia, but it will oscillate longer.

Foot placement on the footboard will change how the pedal responds. Is your foot in the sweet spot on the footboard, back the the hinge, up by the chain?

Is your cape on, and what color is it? So many things to consider.

Those Sonor beaters like the one you have on your Tama pedal are seriously good products.

I have one on my Yamaha Flying Dragon and it's a delight to play. I wish I had a couple more of those Sonors but they're oddly hard to find, at least around here.

What Sonor beaters?
Whoops - wrong pedal maybe? The beater on the peddle in the middle of the first photo looks like a Sonor part.

While reading the first post, I thought that Jimmy identified the pedal with the Sonor beater as the Tama.

Whoops - wrong pedal maybe? The beater on the peddle in the middle of the first photo looks like a Sonor part.

While reading the first post, I thought that Jimmy identified the pedal with the Sonor beater as the Tama.
Yep, the 6740 currently has the Sonor.

Cool. That may partly explain why the pedal feels so good. Seriously well balanced beaters, those Sonors.
Now that I cranked the tension in the DW I’m going to try it in there today. Could be right about that.

Cool. That may partly explain why the pedal feels so good. Seriously well balanced beaters, those Sonors.
Beater weight is huge. I just looked up the Sonor specs and they are 77 grams. That could explain their feel. I’ve been using the Yamaha double sided beaters and have liked those a lot. They weigh in at a bit less at 73 grams with their standard felt at 77. I like those too. I wish I still had my DW double sided, which are one of the highest sellers from what I can see. Those are bricks by comparison.

Seems odd I’m talking about grams on a drum forum. Feels like I’m on the bike forum again shaving off grams. lol

I like the price of the Sonors though. They are a 2 for 1 compared to the Yamaha!

Beater weight is huge. I just looked up the Sonor specs and they are 77 grams. That could explain their feel. I’ve been using the Yamaha double sided beaters and have liked those a lot. They weigh in at a bit less at 73 grams with their standard felt at 77. I like those too. I wish I still had my DW double sided, which are one of the highest sellers from what I can see. Those are bricks by comparison.

Seems odd I’m talking about grams on a drum forum. Feels like I’m on the bike forum again shaving off grams. lol

I like the price of the Sonors though. They are a 2 for 1 compared to the Yamaha!
Ya, I hear you. Well the Sonor beater made my DW feel mushier, but with it on the 6740, I’m awesome ;). That’s right…I’m blaming the gear!!!

I’m pretty convinced it’s all about strap drive and me digging it. Feels more direct to me.

Ya, I hear you. Well the Sonor beater made my DW feel mushier, but with it on the 6740, I’m awesome ;). That’s right…I’m blaming the gear!!!

I’m pretty convinced it’s all about strap drive and me digging it. Feels more direct to me.
Exactly why “what’s the best pedal” threads are useless. You have to go through a bunch and experiment or there’s never the real answer.

Sheesh…DW wants a fortune for a nylon strap…must be the extra screw.

Sheesh…DW wants a fortune for a nylon strap…must be the extra screw.
Go with the Gibraltar Kevlar. I bought a used Yamaha 6110 and used it's strap for the same price as what DW wants for just their strap and I'm reading it's not the same quality as before.

Go with the Gibraltar Kevlar. I bought a used Yamaha 6110 and used it's strap for the same price as what DW wants for just their strap and I'm reading it's not the same quality as before.
It’s 11/16” wide and the cam takes 5/8. Think that’s going to be a problem being slightly wider? I wouldn’t think so but you never know.

The 6740 doesn't have a compression spring.;)

The 6740 doesn't have a compression spring.;)

You should be confused ..... your 6740 pedal doesn't have a compression spring.:LOL: Your Premier 252 does, maybe that's what everyone is referring to. Very few pedals use a compression spring. The Ludwig Speed King is the most well known. Your Premier is another. The Tama 6750 & 6755 are (as I mentioned in post #5), and the Trick Pro 1-V. They work by squeezed rather than expanded a spring, which pushes back on the footboard to provide rebound. Your foot stroke compresses the spring, as you power the beater towards the head, and the spring rebounds by returning to it's non-compressed state.
You're totally right--I was only looking for the spring in the conventional spot and assumed it must be the compression spring model!

Back