Was anyone in the audience for Fred Armisen's Drummer's Only comedy show?

Quite liked it myself. Some of the comments above make me wonder if some watched an entirely different show.

Not the greatest stand up show I've seen but I could think of worse ways to spend an hour.

Enjoyble and good on him.

Fred should have researched all the threads from here. He could have easily put together 2 hours of material on just how anal we all are about our gear.

The "Tom Angles" thread would have easily sufficed.

Jeff Indyke
The Cape Guy Thread
WailinSmash
That Canadian Mapex Guy who used to be here...

Just that is about a 20 hour set.

If you are cool with laughing at ourselves.....

• How do you tell if the stage is level?
The drummer is drooling from both sides of his mouth.

• How can you tell a drummer's at the door?
The knocking speeds up.

• What's the last thing a drummer says in a band?
"Hey guys, why don't we try one of my songs?

• What do you call a drummer that breaks up with his girlfriend?
Homeless.

Lol

As standup comedy, it was pretty weak. Rather than having actual bits and jokes 70% of the time, he basically told the audience he had the idea for a joke, then did nothing with it.

If you are cool with laughing at ourselves.....
Lol

There was one, and you can insert any drummer you like, that gave me a chuckle.... Goes like this...

Did you hear Charlie Watts tried to commit suicide?
He threw himself a little behind a train.

He should do this routine in jail as you probably need an IQ below 80 to find it even remotely entertaining.

I liked it for the most part, but definitely not your typical stand up comedy. My son watched it with me and got most of the drum related humor since I talk drums around him. He has been my guest roady and gets to see live performances on occasion. 6/10

I thought it was a great idea, executed with all the skill of a blindfolded firing squad wielding nerf guns.

It was embarrassing, sadly. someone ( even Fred) should do it again but do it right. It had the feel of someone doing material they hadn't finished writing.

The "drums through time" part was fun. That's where it started to pick up for me.

Fans of Andy Kaufman will probably like this show. I could see Fred Armisen thinking something like, "Wouldn't it be funny to put a few great drum kits on stage, bring in some amazing drummer, and then spend five minutes NOT playing drums? Maybe he could read a play or something..."

It's not going to have as broad an appeal as a Robin Williams or Eddie Murphy act, but it was entertaining.

I thought it was a great idea, executed with all the skill of a blindfolded firing squad wielding nerf guns.

It was embarrassing, sadly. someone ( even Fred) should do it again but do it right. It had the feel of someone doing material they hadn't finished writing.

My thoughts too

Yeah I love SNL, Fred and Portlandia, so I clicked on the movie the second I saw "Fred Armisen" and "drummers" in the title.

I have a theory that the genres or subjects we hold dearest to our hearts, are the things we are the most critical of.

Personal Example:

I love heavy rock and metal of the 60's through 90s.

So when a band or artist comes along and has a "Retro Vibe" type act, I am the most critical of it. (like Lenny Kravitz or Greta Van Fleet)

I think we as drummers are all too invested in the drumming world to be able to Objectively look at a show like this.

.....either that, or it just wasn't that good
lol

Sorry to say I found it really boring and not fiunny at all. Did I miss something or am too old to see the humor? If there was any>?

I give it a 6/10. The gear jokes were funny, the band practice jokes were funny, His audience impressions were funny.

I think this discussion is a great example of the subjectivity of art. And that's a good thing. Yes, I think comedy shows are a form of performance art.

Thankfully we all don't like the same thing. We can enjoy the same things for different reasons and not like the same thing for different reasons too. Again, this is a good thing.

I've played gigs with up coming stand up comedians in between sets. Some of them where so bad there was absolutely silence from jokes and you could feel the audience was terrified as was the comedians that failed.

This was much worse and wouldn't recommend it to anyone. I'm not a fake laugher(as the audience)and will stare you down if you suck. No judging but you better get your shit together if you are going to be in front of an audience.

Back