"Wake 'n Break" Series

Today's wake 'n break is a staggered two bar groove utilizing the "see-saw" technique on the hi-hats to play single handed sixteenth note triplets (counting: "1 trip let & trip let"). Taking the hi-hats first, we have a steady slew of sixteenth note triplets throughout the first bar on "1 trip let & trip let", "2 trip let & trip let", "3 trip let & trip let", and on "4 trip let & trip let". In the second bar, we have notes falling on "1 trip let & trip let", "2 trip let & trip let", and a final open note on 3 that lingers until the count of 4. Taking the bass drum next, we have notes falling on 1 and 2 in the first bar and then on the first "let" of 1, on 2, and on 3 in the second bar. Last but not least, our snare drum has notes falling on 3, the first "let" of 3, the second "trip" of 3, and on 4 and the second "trip" of 4 in the first bar. In the second bar, we have a single snare note on 4. As always, I hope you dig it and much love!

Wake n Break No. 1873 - A Staggered Groove Utilizing The See-Saw Technique On The Hi-Hats

I have notated the groove but for some reason, I can't get the notation picture off of my phone. This has never happened before, so hopefully my phone is just glitching out. I will add a link for it as soon as I can.

Today's wake 'n break is almost everything that I love in a boom bap; it's greasy and has that broken swing feel that walks the fine line between tight and sloppy. ? Let's get into it! Looking at the hi-hats first, we have a steady slew of sixteenth notes on "1e&a, 2e&a, 3e&a, 4e&a" with a single chick on the "&" of 4. Moving along to the bass drum, we have notes falling on 1 and the "a" of 1 and on the "e" and "a" of 3. Next, our snare drum has a cross stick voicing the backbeat on 2 and 4. Last but not least, our high tom is falling on the "&" of 2 and the floor tom is falling on the "a" of 4. As always, I hope you dig it and much love!

Wake n Break No. 1874 - Dirty Sixteenth Note Boom Bap Beat With A Broken Swing Feel

Notation available at:

Today's wake 'n break is a plodding boom bap beat with anticipated hi-hat chicks and a quarter note pulse on the ride. Looking at the ride first, we have notes falling on "1, 2, 3, 4". Taking the bass drum next, we have notes falling on "1&" and on the "e" and "a" of 3. Meanwhile, our hi-hats are being chicked on the "e" and "a" of 1, as well as on the "&" of 3 and on 4. Last but not least, our snare drum has notes falling on 2 and the "a" of 2, as well as on 4 and the "a" of 4. As always, I hope you dig it and much love!

There are currently no gigs due to the corona virus, so please consider sponsoring an upcoming wake 'n break episode by making a small donation to my paypal account (what ever you can afford). You will be able to request a specific type of groove and I will make it happen plus shout you out in the intro. Thank you and stay safe!

Wake n Break No. 1875 - Plodding Boom Bap Beat With Anticipated Hats & Quarter Note Pulse

Today's wake 'n break is a triplet groove in 6/4 with a bit of a halftime shuffle feel. Looking at the bass drum first, we have notes falling each beat as well as on the "let" of each beat. Next, our hi-hats has quarter notes falling on "1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6". Last but not least, our snare drum has ghost notes on the "trip" of 1, the "trip" of 2, the "trip" of 4, and on the "trip" of 5, as well as accented notes on the "trip" of 3 and on 6. As always, I hope you dig it and much love!

Wake n Break No. 1876 - Shuffled Groove In 6/4 With An Anticipated Snare Accent

Notation link available in the youtube video description.

A new week is upon us once again! :) Today's wake 'n break is a somewhat straight forward groove with a slight triplet stagger between the bass drum and hi-hat. Taking the bass drum first, we have notes falling on "1&" and on 2 and the "let" of 2. Looking at the hi-hats next, we have a chicked note on the "trip" of 2 as well as struck notes on 3, the "&a" of 3, and on the "e&" of 4. Last but not least, our snare drum has accented notes on 3 and the "a" of 4, as well as a ghost note on 4. As always, I hope you dig it and here's to everyone's week starting off on the good foot!

Wake n Break No. 1877 - Straight Forward Groove w/ Slight Triplet Stagger Between The Feet

Notation:
Sponsor an upcoming wake 'n break episode by making a donation of any size to my paypal account and I will create whatever kind of groove you would like, as well as shout you out at the beginning of the episode. First sponsored break is coming tomorrow!
PayPal: [email protected]

Last edited:
Today's wake 'n break is the first sponsored episode in the series! :) Ivan Lychkov donated and requested a disco groove, so here it is! Starting with the bass drum first, we have four on the floor throughout both bars. Looking at the hi-hats next, we have a steady slew of eighth notes on "1&2&3&4&" throughout both bars, with openings on the "&" of 1 and on the "&" of 3. Last but not least, our snare drum has notes falling on 2 and "4&" in the first bar, and then on 2, the "&" of 3, and on 4 in the second bar. As always, I hope you dig it and much love!

Wake n Break No. 1878 - Two Bar Disco Groove With Snare Hits (Sponsored Groove)

Notation link available at:

Last edited:
Happy Humpday! ? Today's wake 'n break is a hand to hand linear groove in 6/4 with a single snare accent. Taking the bass drum first, we have notes falling on 1, "5&", and on 6. Looking at the hi-hats next, we have notes falling on "1&", 2, on "3&", on 4, and on "6&". Moving along to the snare drum, we have a single accented note on the "&" of 2. Last but not least, our high tom has a single note falling on the "&" of 4. As always, I hope you dig it and much love! Notation link will be added momentarily.

With no gigs or lessons for the next few months, please consider sponsoring a wake 'n break groove by making a donation of any size to my paypal. You can request any specific type of groove you would like and you will also get a shout out in the intro. PayPal: [email protected]

Wake n Break No. 1879 - Hand To Hand Quasi-Linear Groove In 6/4

Notation:

Last edited:
Today's wake 'n break is sponsored by Julian Maultsby and he requested an original groove in 11/8. :) Taking the bass drum first, we have notes falling on 1 and 7. Looking at the hi-hats next, we have notes falling on 1, 2, an open note on the "&" of 2, on 5, an open note on the "&" of 5, and then notes on 7, and on "8&". Moving along to the snare drum, we have accented notes on 4 and on "10&" and "11&", as well as ghost notes on the "&" of 1, on "3&", the "&" of 4, on "6&", the "&" of 8, and on "9&". Last but not least, our hi-hats are being chicked on all of the downbeats. As always, I hope you dig it and much love!

Wake n Break No. 1880 - An Odd Time Snare & Hi-Hat Groove In 11/8 (Sponsored Groove!)

Notation:

Last edited:
Thank goodness it's....Friday...I think?? Every day is blending into the next during this quarantine. ?Today's wake 'n break is a 4/4 groove with a wonky anticipated feel. Starting with the snare, we have our pickup on the "a" of 4. Next, we have ghost notes on the "e" of 1 and on the "e" of 3, as well as anticipated accents on the "a" of 2 and on the "a" of 4. Taking the ride bell next, we have notes falling on the "&" of each beat and our hi-hats are also being chicked in unison. Last but not least, our bass drum has anticipated notes falling on the "a" of 1 and on the "a" of 3. As always, I hope you dig it and much love!

Wake n Break No. 1881 - An Anticipated Groove With A Wonky Feel

Notation:

Last edited:
Saturday night fighting is banned until further notice, so learn some drums instead! ?? Today's wake 'n break is a triplet groove in 4/4 that has a bit of an African feel but utilizes a Brazilian caxixi shaker on the drums. Looking at the bass drum first, we have notes falling on 1 and the "let" of 1. Next, our hi-hats have notes falling on the "trip" of each beat. Moving along to the snare (with dropped wires) we have notes falling on 1, 2, 3, and 4. Last but not least, our high tom is falling on the "let" of each beat. As always, I hope you dig it and much love!

Wake n Break No. 1882 - Triplet Groove With An African Feel Utilizing Caxixi On The Drums

Notation link:

Today's wake 'n break was sponsored by Dean McGaveston, who requested a blues shuffle. Thank you, Dean! This groove is a four on the floor shuffle with a sparse ride pattern. Taking the bass drum first, we have notes falling on 1, 2, 3, and 4. Next, our snare drum has accented notes on 2 and 4, as well as ghost notes on the "let" of 2, on the "trip" and "let" of 3, and on the "let" of 4. Moving along to the ride cymbal, we have notes falling on 2 and the "let" of 2 and on 4 and the "let" of 4. Last but not least, our hi-hats are being chicked on 2 and 4. As always, I hope you dig it and much love!

Wake n Break No. 1883 - Four On The Floor Shuffle With Sparse Ride Pattern

Notation: https://imgur.com/nybE4xY

Last edited:
A new week is upon us once again (although who can tell at this point!?). Today's wake 'n break is a two bar groove with a slight stagger in 12/8. Taking the hi-hats first, we have a steady slew of eighth notes on "1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11, and 12 throughout both bars with open notes on 8 and 9 in the second bar. Next, our bass drum is falling on 1 and 6 in the firs bar and on 1 and 5 in the second bar. Last but not least, our snare drum is falling on 7 in the first bar and on 10 in the second bar. As always, I hope you dig it and much love!

Wake n Break No. 1884 - Two Bar Groove In 12/8 With A Slight Stagger

Notation: https://imgur.com/JTylATh

Last edited:
Today's wake 'n break is a halftime backbeat groove in 6/4. Looking at hi-hats first, we have a steady slew of eighth notes on "1&2&3&4&", with open notes on 1, 3, and 5. Next, our bass drum is falling on 1, the "&" of 2, on 3, on "5&", and on the "&" of 6. Last but not least, our snare has an accented note on 4 followed by ghosted notes on the "&" of 4 and on "5&". As always, I hope you dig it and much love! Notation link is available in the youtube video description.

Wake n Break No. 1885 - A Halftime Backbeat Groove In 6/4

Notation will be added later.

Happy Humpday! ? Today's wake 'n break is broken up among the bass drum, snare drum, toms, and hi-hats. Looking at the bass drum first, we have notes falling on 1 and the "a" of 1, on the "&" of 2, on the "e" and "a" of 3, and on the "e" of 4. Taking the hi-hats next, we have an open note on 1 followed by notes on the "&" of 1 and on "2&". Moving along to the snare drum, we have accented notes on 2 and on the "&" of 4, as well as ghost notes on the "a" of 2 and on the "a" of 4. Next, our high tom is falling on "2&" and finally, our floor tom is falling on 4. As always, I hope you dig it and much love!

Wake n Break No. 1886 - Tom Groove With Interjecting Bass Drum Notes

Notation:

Last edited:
Today's wake 'n break is a four on the floor groove that has a bit of a club vibe to it. Starting with the bass drum, we have notes falling on 1, 2, 3, and 4. Looking at the hi-hats next, we have notes falling on the "&" of 1, the "&" of 2, the "e" of 3, and an open note on the "&" of 4. Last but not least, our snare has a note falling on 2 and then an anticipated flam on the "a" of 3. As always, I hope you dig it and much love!

Wake n Break No. 1887 - Four On The Floor Groove With An Anticipated Flam

Notation:

Last edited:
Thank goodness it's Friday (I think)! :) Today's wake 'n break is a quasi-linear groove in 6/4 that has a staccato hi-hat part. Taking the bass drum first, we have notes falling on "1e&" and on "4e&". Looking at the hi-hats next, we have notes falling on "2e&", the "e&" of 3, on 4, the "e" and "a" of 5, and an anticipated open note on the "a" of 6. Last but not least, our snare is falling 3 and on 6. As always, I hope you dig it and much love!

Wake n Break No. 1888 - Quasi-Linear Groove In 6/4 With Staccato Hi-Hat Pattern

Notation: https://imgur.com/GA5QmCb

Last edited:
No more Saturday night fights for quite some time, so get some drum time in! Today's wake 'n break is a two bar backbeat in 4/4 with a continuous slew of sixteenth notes. For some reason, I tend to play a reverse traditional grip when looking for a certain feel, so that's why my right hand is gripping the stick like that. Taking the snare drum first, we have notes falling on "1e&a, 2e&a, 3e&a, 4e&a" in the first bar with a sticking of "RLRR LRRL RLRR LRRL" and accents on 2 and 4. In the second bar, we start off the same way as the first bar except the last note we are playing is a lingering buzz on the "a" of 3. The groove also starts with a snare ruff. Looking at the bass drum next, we have notes falling on 1, the "&" of 3, and on the "e" of 4 in the first bar, followed by notes on 1 and the "&" of 3 in the second. Last but not least, our hi-hats are keeping a quarter note pulse on "1, 2, 3, 4". As always, I hope you dig it and stay safe!

Wake n Break No. 1889 - Two Bar Backbeat With A Busy Snare Sticking (And Reverse Traditional Grip)
https://youtu.be/Fw-483cs3VY

Notation:

Last edited:
Today's wake 'n break is sponsored by Sheldon Cooper, who requested a three against four idea utilizing some tacks. Looking at the feet first, we have our polyrhythm of three against four being played as an ostinato with our bass drum on 1, the "trip" of 2, and on the "let" of 3. Meanwhile, our hi-hats are falling on 1, 2, 3, and 4. Moving along to the bowl of tacks, we have notes falling on "1 trip let", the "trip" and "let" of 2, on 3 and the "let" of 3, and on 4 and the "trip" of 4. Last but not least, our snare has a single accented note on 3. As always, I hope you dig it and much love!

Wake n Break No. 1890 - Polyrhythmic Halftime Backbeat With Bowl of Tacks

Notation:

Last edited:
A new week is upon us once again! Today's wake 'n break is a four bar phrase in 6/8 and it's centered around the bembe bell rhythm, which can be heard in the bass drum in the first two bars. Although it's in 6/8, however, this groove has a 4/4 backbeat feel to it. Looking at the bass drum first, we have notes falling on 1, 3, 5, and 6 in the first bar, followed by notes on 2 and 4 in the second bar. In the last two bars, our bass drum is falling on 3 and 6. Taking the hi-hats next, we have notes falling on 1 and 4 throughout all four bars. Moving along to the ride cymbal, we have notes falling on 1 and 6 in the first bar. Next, our cross stick is falling on 4 in all four bars. Looking at the high tom, we have a single note on 6 in the second bar. Finally, our floor tom is falling on 2 and 5 in the last two bars. I would definitely like to get this one feeling smoother and will play around with it on my own. As always, I hope you dig it and much love!

Wake n Break No. 1891 - Four Bar Bembe Oriented Backbeat In 6/8

Notation:

Last edited:
Today's wake 'n break is a four bar groove that is a hybrid of boogaloo and mambo. Taking the bass drum first, we have notes falling on 1 and the "&" of 2 in all four bars. Looking at the ride cymbal next, we have notes falling on the "&a" of 1, the "&" of 2, and on 3 in the first three bars. In the fourth and final bar, our ride pattern is the same except we have an additional note on 4. Moving along to the snare drum, we have a cross stick on 2 in all four bars, as well as snare hits (with dropped wires) on the "&" of 3. Looking at the tom next, we have a single note falling on the "&" of 4 in all four bars. Last but not least, our hi-hats are being chicked on 2 and 4 in all four bars. As always, I hope you dig it and much love!

Wake n Break No. 1892 - Four Bar Hybrid of Boogaloo & Mambo

Notation:

Last edited:
Back