"Wake 'n Break" Series

kindbeats

Platinum Member
Today's wake 'n break is a somewhat sparse and simple groove in 6/4 that has a lingering buzz stroke and a lingering open note on the hi-hats. Taking the bass drum first, we have notes falling on 1, the "&" of 2, and on the "&" of 6. Moving along to the hi-hats, we have an open notes on 1 and 3 as well as closed notes on 2 and 4. Last but not least, our snare drum has a buzz stroke on 3 that lingers until beat 5, followed by accented notes on "5&" and a final ghost note on the "&" of 6. As always, I hope you dig it and much love!

Wake n Break No. 1893 - Sparse 6/4 Groove With A Lingering Buzz Stroke & Lingering Hi-Hat Note

Notation:

Last edited:

kindbeats

Platinum Member
Today's wake 'n break is a dirty sixteenth note groove with a tom falling on 1. Starting with the hi-hats, we have a steady slew of sixteenth notes on "1e&a 2e&a 3e&a 4e&a". Taking the bass drum next, we have notes falling 1, the "e" and "a" of 2, on the "e&" of 3, and on the "e&" of 4. Moving along to the tom, we have a single note falling on 1. Now looking at the snare, we have a single cross stick falling on 2 and last but not least, we have a crashed ride cymbal on the "&" of 4. As always, I hope you dig it and much love!

Wake n Break No. 1894 - Dirty Sixteenth Note Groove With A Tom On One

Notation:

Last edited:

kindbeats

Platinum Member
Today's wake 'n break is a halftime backbeat in 4/4 with a toe-heel-toe triple on the bass drum. Taking the hi-hats first, we have a steady eighth note pulse on "1&2&34&" and there is a short opening on 4. Looking at the bass drum next, we have notes falling on the "&a" of 1, on 2, and on the "&" of 4. Last but not least, our snare drum has single accented note falling on 3. As always, I hope you dig it and be safe out there!

Wake n Break No. 1895 - Halftime Backbeat With Toe-Heel-Toe Triple On The Bass Drum
https://youtu.be/5bMDmRXhklc

Notation:

kindbeats

Platinum Member
Today's wake 'n break is a double stroke phrase on the toms and hi-hats over a 3/2 son clave ostinato on the bass drum. Taking the bass drum first, we have notes falling on 1 and the "a" of 1, the "&" of 2, the "&" of 3, and on 4. Looking at the hi-hats next, we have notes falling on the "&a" of each beat. Moving along to the toms, our high tom is falling on "1e" and our floor tom is falling on "3e". Last but not least, our snare drum (with dropped wires) has notes falling on "2e" and on "4e". As always, I hope you dig it and much love!

Wake n Break No. 1896 - Double Stroke Tom & Hi-Hat Groove With 3/2 Son Clave On The Bass Drum

Notation:

Last edited:

kindbeats

Platinum Member
Today's wake 'n break is a two bar hand-to-hand sixteenth note groove with anticipated snare accents. Let's start with a break down of the hand ostinato. First, our ride cymbal has notes falling on 1, 2, 3, and 4. Meanwhile, our hi-hats are falling on the "e" of each beat. Next, our snare drum has ghost notes on the "&" of every beat, as well as accented notes on the "a" of each beat. Finally, we come to the bass drum. In the first bar, we have notes on 1 and 3 and last but not least, we have notes on 1, "3e" and the "a" of 3, and on "4&" in the second bar. As always, I hope you dig it and much love!

Wake n Break No. 1897 - Hand To Hand Ostinato With Anticipated Snare Accents Over A Two Bar Bass Drum Phrase

Notation link available at:

kindbeats

Platinum Member
Today's wake 'n break is a funky groove built on top of the 3/2 rumba clave on the bass drum. Taking the bass drum first, we have notes falling on 1 and the "a" of 1, the "a" of 2, the "&" of 3, and on 4. Looking at the hi-hats next, we have notes falling on 1 and the "&a" of 1, on the "e" and "a" of 2, the "e&" of 3, and on 4 and "&a" of 4 with an the "a" of 4 being an open note. Last but not least, our snare drum has accented notes on the "&" of 2 and on the "a" of 4, as well as ghost notes on the "e" of 1, on 2, on 3 and the "a" of 3, and on the "e" of 4. As always, I hope you dig it and much love!

Wake n Break No. 1898 - Funky Groove With 3/2 Rumba Clave On The Bass Drum

Notation:

Last edited:

kindbeats

Platinum Member
Today's wake 'n break is a busy and uptempo groove where our hands are playing sixteenth note single strokes between the ride cymbal and snare drum, and we have a 2/3 rumba clave on the bass drum (technically, the last note of the rumba clave is being voiced on the snare). Starting with the bass drum, we have notes falling on the "&" of 1, on 2, and on 3 and the "a" of 3. Taking the ride cymbal next, we notes falling on 1, 2, 3, and 4 while the bell of the cymbal is falling on all of the upbeats or "&'s". Moving along to the snare drum next, we have notes on the "e" and "a" of each beat with the "a" of 2 and the "a" of 4 being accented. Last but not least, our hi-hats are being chicked on all of the upbeats. As always, I hope you dig it and much love! Notation will be available in the youtube video description.

Wake n Break No. 1899 - Sixteenth Note Singles Up Top With Rumba Clave Played Between The Bass Drum & Snare Drum

Notation:

Last edited:

kindbeats

Platinum Member
Today's wake 'n break is a 12/8 groove with a halftime backbeat feel and interjecting hi-hat chicks. Taking the ride cymbal first, we have a steady slew of eighth notes on "1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12". Personally, I think the pattern can be played with more of a slinky feel once I internalize the groove. Looking at the bass drum next, we have notes falling on 1, 2, 4, and 6. Moving along to the snare drum, we have a single accented note on 7 followed by ghost notes on 8, 9, 10, 11, and 12. Last but not least, our hi-hats are being chicked on 3, 5, 10, and 11. As always, I hope you dig it and much love!

Wake n Break No. 1900 - Halftime Backbeat Feel In 12/8 With Trailing Snare & Interjecting Hi-Hats

Notation:

kindbeats

Platinum Member
Today's wake 'n break is built around barked hi-hat notes as well as our bass drum and hi-hats falling mainly in unison. Taking the bass drum first, we have notes falling on "1e" and the "a" of 1, on 2 and the "&a" of 2, and on the "e&" of 3. Looking at the hi-hats next, we have notes falling on "1e" and the "a" of 1, on 2 and the "&a" of 2, the "e&" of 3, and on "4e&", with barked notes on the "e" of 1, on 2 and the "a" of 2, and on the "&" of 3. We also have a quick hi-hat chick on the "&" of 4. Last but not least, our snare drum has accented notes 2 and 4, as well as a single ghost note on the "a" of 4. As always, I hope you dig it and much love!

Wake n Break No. 1901 - A Backbeat With Anticipated Hi-Hat Barks

Notation available at:

kindbeats

Platinum Member
Today's wake 'n break is a sparse and dirty two bar groove that is quasi-linear and only has one unison per phrase. Starting with the bass drum, we have notes falling on 1 and 2 in both bars. Looking at the hi-hat next, we have notes falling on the "&" of 1, the "a" of 2, and an open note on 4 in the first bar. The second bar is the same except we have an additional note on the "a" of 3. Last but not least, we come to the snare drum. In the first bar, we have an accented note on the "e" of 3 and a ghost note on the "a" of 3. Finally, our second bar has an accented note on the "e" of 3 and then a buzz stroke on 4. As always, I hope you dig it and much love!

Wake n Break No. 1902 - Sparse And Dirty Two Bar Quasi-Linear Groove

Notation link:

kindbeats

Platinum Member
Today's wake 'n break is a two bar shuffle where we're riding the snare and most downbeats are being played as buzz strokes (with an occasional flam happening in there). Taking the bass drum first, our bass drum is falling on 1 and the "let" of 1, 2 and the "let" of 2, 3 and the "let" of 3, and on 4 and the "let" of 4, and this remains constant throughout both bars. Next, let's look at the snare drum. In the first bar, we have a tap on the "let" of each beat as well as buzz strokes on 2, 3, and 4. In the second bar, we have buzz strokes on 1, 2, and 3, as well as taps on the "let" of 1, the "let" of 2, and the "let" of 3. The snare phrase is then finished with a triplet crescendo on "4 trip let". Last but not least, our hi-hats are keeping a quarter note pulse the entire time As always, I hope you dig it and much love!

Wake n Break No. 1903 - Two Bar Snare Shuffle With Buzzed Downbeats

kindbeats

Platinum Member
Today's wake 'n break is a two bar boom bap beat that was inspired by DJ Premier's production on the Jeru the Damaga track, "Come Clean". I simply played dirty buzz strokes on the toms emulate the sound effect. Taking the bass drum first, we have notes falling on "1&", the "a" of 2, on "3&", and on the "a" of 4 throughout both bars. Looking at the snare drum next, we have our backbeat being voiced with accented notes on 2 and 4 in both bars with the 4 in the second bar being played as a buzz stroke. Moving along to the floor tom, we have buzz strokes on 1 in the first bar and on the "&" of 1 in the second bar. Next, our high tom has buzzed strokes on 3 in the first bar and on the "e" of 2 in the second bar. Off screen (apparently it's not in shot) is a tiny tamborim that is mounted above the floor tom and has a single buzzed stroke on the "&" of 3. Last but not least, our hi-hats are being chicked on all of the upbeats or "&'s". As always, I hope you dig it and much love!

Wake n Break No. 1904 - Two Bar Boom Bap Beat Inspired By DJ Premier

Notation link will be added soon.

kindbeats

Platinum Member
Today's wake 'n break is a two bar hand-to-hand groove with a steady slew of eighth notes being played on the bass drum. Starting with the bass drum, we have notes on "1&2&3&4&" throughout both bars. Taking the hi-hats next, we have notes falling on "1e&a", the "&" of 2, on 3, and on "4&" in the first bar. In the second bar, we have notes falling on the "&" of 1, on 2, "3&", and an open note on the "&" of 4. Last but not least, our snare drum has notes falling on 2 and on the "&" of 3 in the first bar, followed by notes on 1, the "&" of 2, and on 4. As always, I hope you dig it and much love! Notation coming soon.

Wake n Break No. 1905 - Two Bar Hand To Hand Groove w/ Eighth Notes On The Bass Drum

kindbeats

Platinum Member
Today's wake 'n break is a dirty sixteenth note groove with a broken swing feel and utilizes a tamborim placed on top of my ride cymbal. Taking the bass drum first, we have notes falling on 1, the "a" of 1, and on the "&" of 3. Looking at the hi-hats next, we have notes falling on "1e&a", on "2e" and the "a" of 2, the "&" of 3, and on "4e&a" with the "e" of 2 and the "&" of 3 being played as open notes. Last but not least, we have a cross stick providing the backbeat on 2 and 4. As always, I hope you dig it and much love!

Wake n Break No. 1906 - Dirty Sixteenth Note Groove w/ A Broken Swing Feel And A Tamborim On The Ride

Notation coming soon.

kindbeats

Platinum Member
Today's wake 'n break is a two bar baiao based groove and utilize bowed metal (an old model of the Hammerax Bash) to take the place of a cuica. Taking the feet first, our bass drum is falling on 1 and the "a" of 1 and on 3 and the "a" of 3 while our hi-hats are being chicked on all of the upbeats or "&'s". Finally, we get to the bowed pattern. In the first bar, we have bowed strokes on the "e&a" of 1, on "2&", "3&", and on "4e&a". In the second bar, we have bowed strokes on the "e&a" of 1, on "2&", "3e&", and last but not least, we have a single struck note on 4. As always, I hope you dig it and much love!

Wake n Break No. 1907 - Baiao Based Groove With Bowed Metal Replacing The Cuica

Notation:

kindbeats

Platinum Member
Today's wake 'n break is built around a hand to hand pattern between the hi-hats and ride and I've broken down as a halftime backbeat in 6/4, although it can definitely be heard/felt as a triplet backbeat in 4/4. Taking the bass drum first, we have notes falling on 1 and 5. Looking at the hi-hats next, we have notes falling on 1, the "&" of 2, and on the "&" of 5. Next, our ride bell has notes falling on 2, 3, 5, and 6. Last but not least, our snare drum has a single accented note on 4. As always, I hope you dig it and much love!

Wake n Break No. 1908 - Halftime Backbeat In 6/4 With Hand To Hand Lick Between The Hi-Hats & Ride Bell

Notation:

kindbeats

Platinum Member
Today's wake 'n break is a backbeat that utilizes a splash on top of the floor tom. Taking the bass drum first, we have notes falling on 1 and 3. Looking at the splash on the floor tom next, we have two thirty second notes starting on the "e" of 1, another note on the "a" of 1, followed by notes on the "a" of 2, the "e" of 3, and on the "e" of 4. Moving along to the hi-hats, we have notes falling on all of the upbeats or "&'s", as well as an open note on the "&" of 4. Next, our snare drum is providing the backbeat on 2 and 4 and last but not least, we are hitting our floor tom on the "e" of 2 and on the "a" of 3. As always, I hope you dig it and much love!

Wake n Break No. 1909 - Linear Backbeat With A Splash On The Floor Tom

Notation:

kindbeats

Platinum Member
Today's wake 'n break is a four bar bell groove in 6/4 and the bell I'm using is a broken and rusted ogene. Looking at the bass drum first, we have notes falling on 1 and the "&" of 2 in all four bars. Lookig at bell next, we have notes falling on "1&", the "&" of 2, on 3, "4&", the "&" of 5, and on 6 in the first two bars. In the last two bars, our bell is falling on "1&", the "&" on 2, 3, "4&", the "&" of 5, and on 6. Moving along to the hi-hats, we have chicked notes in the first two bars, as well as notes on the "&" of 2 and on the "&" of 6. In the last two bars, we have no chicked notes and have notes falling on 2, the "&" of 3, and on the "&" of 6. Last but not least, our snare drum has an accented note on the 5 of all four bars. As always, I hope you dig it and much love! Notation will be added shortly.

Wake n Break No. 1910 - A Four Bar Bell Groove In 6/4

kindbeats

Platinum Member
Today's wake 'n break is a quasi-linear groove in 5/4 and is broken up among the bass drum, hi-hats, and snare drum. Taking the bass drum first, we have notes falling on "1&", the "&" of 2, the "&" of 3, and on 4. Looking at the hi-hats next, we have notes falling on 2, 3, the "&" of 4, and on the "&" of 5. Last but not least, our snare drum is falling on the "&" of 2 and on 5. As always, I hope you dig it and much love!

Wake n Break No. 1911 - An Odd Time Quasi-Linear Groove In 5/4

Notation will be added soon. My apologies for not getting them up right away the past few days.

kindbeats

Platinum Member
Today's wake 'n break is a two bar polyrhythmic groove in 6/8, with the polyrhythm of two against three being voiced between the bass drum and hi-hat. We also have a 3/2 clave being voiced on the toms. Taking the feet first, our bass drum is falling on 1 and 4 while our hi-hats are being chicked on 1, 3, and 5. Looking at the snare next (with dropped wires), we have notes falling on 1, 2, 4, and 5 in both bars. Moving along to the high tom, we have notes falling on 1 and 5 in the first bar as well as a note on 2 in the second bar. Last but not least, our floor tom is falling on 3 in the first bar and on 4 in the second bar. As always, I hope you dig it and much love!

Wake n Break No. 1912 - Two Bar Polyrhythmic Groove In 6/8 With 3/2 Clave On The Toms

Notation: