"Wake 'n Break" Series

Today's wake 'n break is a sixteenth note groove that has upbeat snare accents as well as anticipated ghost notes and a couple of hi-hat openings. Taking the bass drum first, we have notes falling on 1, the "a" of 2, on 3, and on the "a" of 4. Looking at the hi-hats next, we have notes falling on "1e" and the "a" of 1, the "&a" of 2, on "3e" and the "a" of 3, and on the "&a" of 4, with the "e" of 1 and the "e" of 3 being open notes. Moving along to the snare drum, we have accented notes on the "&" of 1 and on the "&" of 3, as well as ghost notes on the "e" of 2 and the "e" of 4. In this video, I have a small ankle jingle resting on side of the snare drum head, but it didn't really cut through too well. I just need to be able to rig the thing to my snare so that it won't move. That way, I'll be able to drive the accents home more and move those jingles. Last but not least, we have our tom falling on 2 and 4. As always, I hope you dig it and much love!

Wake n Break No. 1754 - Sixteenth Note Groove With Upbeat Snare Accents And Anticipated Ghost Notes

Notation available at:

Thank goodness it's Friday! :) I recently came up with a hand to hand hi-hat groove in 5/4, but today I have taken the underlying theme of that groove and turned it into a hand to hand snare groove with flanged hi-hats. Taking the feet first, our bass drum is falling on 1 and 2 while our hi-hats are being chicked on the "&" of 3 and then flanged on the "&" of 4. Lastly, the snare drum has single strokes falling on "1&2&3&4&5&" with accented notes on the "&" of 3 and on the "&" of 4. As always, I hope you dig it and have a great weekend!

Wake n Break No. 1755 - Hand To Hand Snare Groove In 5/4 With Flanged Hi-Hats

Notation available at:

Today's wake 'n break is a four on the floor groove where all of our snare accents are anticipated. Taking the bass drum first, we have a steady quarter note pulse on "1, 2, 3, 4". Looking at the hi-hats next, we have notes falling on "1&", on 2 and the "&a" of 2, on "3&", and on 4 and the "&a" of 4. Last but not least, our snare drum has ghost notes on the "e" of 1, the "e" of 2, the "e" of 3, and on the "e" of 4, with accented notes on the "a" of each beat as well as flams on the "a" of 1 and on the "a" of 3. As always, I hope you dig it and much love! I notated this groove but I don't have my camera with me, so I won't be able to post the notation until tomorrow. Sorry for the wait!

Wake n Break No. 1756 - Four On The Floor Groove With Anticipated And Flammed Snare Accents

It's Sunday Drumday! ?Today's wake 'n break is a two bar halftime shuffle that utilizes a bottle cap shaker on the hi-hats and has no snare accents in the second bar. Taking the hi-hats first, we have notes falling on 1 and the "let" of 1, 2 and the "let" of 2, 3 and the "let" of 3, and on 4 and the "let" of 4 throughout both bars. Looking at the bass drum next, we have notes falling on 1 and the "let" of 2 in the first bar, followed by notes on the "let" of 1 and on the "let" of 3 in the second bar. Last but not least, we come to the snare drum. First, we have ghost notes falling on the "trip" of 1, the "trip" of 2, and the "trip" of 4 in the first bar, followed by ghost notes on the "trip" of each beat in the second bar. Finally, we have a single accented snare note on 3 in the first bar. As always, I hope you dig it and much love!

Wake n Break No. 1757 - Two Bar Halftime Bottle Cap Shuffle With No Snare Accents In The Second Bar

Notation available at:

A new week is upon us once again! :) Today's wake 'n break is a two bar boom bap beat that utilizes a mini Boomywang prototype draped over the tom. Taking the bass drum first, we have notes falling on 1, the "a" of 1, and on the "&" of 2 in both bars. Looking at the hi-hats next, we have notes falling on "1&2&" with a lingering open note on the "&" of 2. We also have hi-hat splashes on "3&" as well as a chick on the "&" of 4. Moving along to the snare drum, we have notes falling on 2 and 4, providing the groove with its backbeat. Next, we have sixteenth note triplets on the boomywang, starting on 3 (counting: 3 trip let & trip let) played on the boomywang. Last but not least, we have a single stack note on the "e" of 4 in the second bar. As always, I hope you dig it and here's to everyone's week starting off on the good foot!

Wake n Break No. 1758 - Two Bar Boom Bap Beat With A Boomywang Draped Over The Tom

Notation available at:

this just gave me new reasons to wake up...I normally hate mornings...but now I have a cool little snippet to work on every day!!!

this just gave me new reasons to wake up...I normally hate mornings...but now I have a cool little snippet to work on every day!!!
I'm stoked you dig the series! :)

Today's wake 'n break is a dirty sixteenth note cross stick groove that utilizes finger rolls on the snare drum. Taking the hi-hats first, we have a steady slew of sixteenth notes on "1e&a, 2e&a, 3e&a, 4e&a". Looking at the bass drum next, we have note falling on "1e" and on the "a" of 1, the "&" of 2, and on 3 and the "&a" of 3. Moving along to the cross stick, we have accented notes on 2 and 4, with ghost notes on the "e&a" of 4 to create a delay-like effect. Last but not least, we have finger rolls which are basically acting as the first stroke of a ruff between the snare and bass drum. As always, I hope you dig it and much love!

Wake n Break No. 1759 - Dirty Sixteenth Note Cross Stick Groove w/ Finger Rolls And A Slight Decay

Happy Humpday! ?Today's wake 'n break is a two bar groove that takes the traditional Iyesa bell pattern and voices the rhythm between the bass and snare drum in a drum 'n bass inspired groove. Taking the hi-hats first, we're using the see-saw technique in order to play a steady slew of rapid single handed sixteenth notes on "1e&a 2e&a 3e&a 4e&a", with an open note on 4 in the second bar. Looking at the bass drum next, we have notes falling on 1 and 2 in the first bar, followed by notes on "1&" in the second bar. Last but not least, our snare has accented notes falling on "3&" in both bars, with ghost notes on the "e" and "a" of 4 in the first bar. As always, I hope you dig it and have a great turkey day tomorrow!

Wake n Break No. 1760 - Voicing The Traditional Iyesa Bell Pattern On The Drums In A Drum 'N Bass Inspired Groove

Today's wake 'n break is a quasi-linear backbeat with anticipated bass drum notes. Taking the bass drum first, we have notes falling on the "e" of 1 and on the "a" of 2. Looking at the hi-hats next, we have notes on the "a" of 1 and on the "&" of 2, an open note on 4, as well as chicked notes on 1 and on the "&" of 3. Last but not least, our snare drum is providing the backbeat on 2 and 4. As always, I hope you dig it and that you had a wonderful Thanksgiving! ?

Wake n Break No. 1761 - Quasi-Linear Backbeat With A Stagger And Anticipated Bass Drum Notes

Notation available at:

Thank goodness it's Friday! :) Today's wake 'n break is a two bar groove that is made up of a Swiss triplet ostinato that is broken up between the ride cymbal, stack, and snare drum, with the bass drum playing a two bar phrase. Starting with the feet, our bass drum is falling on 1 and the "let" of 3 in the first bar, followed by notes on 1, the "let" of 3, and on the "trip" of 4 in the second bar. Meanwhile, our hi-hats are playing a quarter note pulse throughout both bars. Moving along to the ride cymbal, we have notes falling on 1, 2, 3, and 4 throughout both bars. Next, our stack is falling on the "trip" of each beat. Last but not least, our snare has a shuffle pattern falling on 1 and the "let" of 1, 2 and the "let" of 2, 3 and the "let" of 3, and on 4 and the "let" of 4. I am definitely going to take this one and start to work on playing the snare with proper shuffle accents, that way it will really groove. As always, I hope you dig it and have a great weekend!

Wake n Break No. 1762 - Swiss Triplet Groove w/ Two Bar Bass Drum Phrase & Shuffled Snare Drum

Notation available at:

Saturday night's alright for fighting but it's even better for drumming! :) Today's wake 'n break is a boom chick ostinato that has open and closed tone triplets on the snare. I refer to these as "Brazilian" triplets because they're being played with a stagger similar to the unique lilt that you often hear in samba. Taking the feet first, we have our boom chick ostinato, with the bass drum falling on 1 and 3 while the hi-hats are falling on 2 and 4. Next, our right hand is playing eighth note triplets on "1 trip let, 2 trip let, 3 trip let, 4 trip let" while our left hand is switching back and forth between muffled and open tones. Last but not least, our cross stick has a few grace notes in between some of the triplets. As always, I hope you dig it and much love!

Wake n Break No. 1763 - Open And Closed Tone "Brazilian" Triplets Over A Boom Chick Ostinato

It's Sunday Drumday! ?Today's wake 'n break is a two bar triplet groove with a plodding bass drum part as well a few flams on the snare drum. Taking the bass drum first, we have notes falling on "1 trip" and "3 trip" in both bars. Next, our hi-hats are falling in unison with the bass drum in both bars, with an additional lingering open note on the "trip" of 4 in the second bar. Last but not least, our snare drum has accented notes falling on "2 trip let" and on "4 trip let" in the first bar, with ghosted notes on 1 and the "let" of 1, 3 and the "let" of 3. 2 and 4 are also being played as flams in the first bar, as well as the 2 in the second bar. Meanwhile, the second bar has all of the same notes and accents except we are omitting the accented note on the "let" of 4 and we aren't playing the 4 as a flam. As always, I hope you dig it and enjoy the rest of your weekend!

Wake n Break No. 1764 - Two Bar Triplet Groove With A Plodding Bass Drum & Several Flam Accents

Notation available at:

Today's wake 'n break is a 6/8 groove based on the traditional bembe bell pattern, however we're playing the pattern on the bass drum (with one of the notes played on the snare drum) instead of on a bell. Taking the bass drum first, we have notes falling on 1, 2, 3, the "&" of 4, the "&" of 5, and on the "&" of 6. Looking at the hi-hats next, we have an open note on 1, followed by notes on 4 and another open note on the "&" of 5. Last but not least, our snare drum is falling on the "&" of 3 and on the "&" of 5. As always, I hope you dig it and here's to everyone's week starting off on the good foot!

Wake n Break No. 1765 - 6/8 Groove Voicing The Traditional Bembe Bell Pattern On The Bass Drum

NOTE: I forgot to add the bass drum on the "&" of 5 in the notation. Notation available at:

Today's wake 'n break is a quasi-linear groove with sixteenth note triplets (counting: "1 trip let & trip let") broken up between the ride cymbal and snare drum. Taking the bass drum first, we have notes falling on "1&" and on the second "let" of 3. Looking at the ride cymbal next, we have a single note on the first "let" of 2. Moving along to the snare drum, we have a crescendo with notes falling on the "& trip let" of 2, followed by accented notes on the first "trip" and "let" of 3, as well as on the second "let" of 4. Last but not least, our hi-hats are being chicked on 2 and on the first "let" of 4, as well as struck with an open note on the second "let" of 4. As always, I hope you dig it and much love!

Wake n Break No. 1766 - Quasi-Linear Groove w/ Short Triplet Crescendo Between The Ride & Snare

Notation available at:

Happy Humpday! ? Today's wake 'n break is a two bar swing groove with a slight halftime shuffle feel to it. Taking the bass drum first, we have notes falling on 1 in the first bar and on 3 in the second bar. Looking at the hi-hats next, in the first bar we have open notes on 1 and 3, as well as notes on 2 and the "let" of 2 and on 4 and the "let" of 4. Meanwhile, in the second bar we have open notes on 1 and 3, as well as notes falling on 2 and on 4 and the "let" of 4. Last but not least, we come to the snare drum. In the first bar, we have ghost notes on the "trip" of 2 and on the "trip" of 4. Finally, we have a single accented note on the "trip" of 1 in the second bar, as well as notes on 2 and on the "trip" and "let" of 4. As always, I hope you dig it and hang in there because we're already halfway through the workweek!

Wake n Break No. 1767 - Slow Two Bar Swing Groove w/ A Slight Halftime Shuffle Feel To It

Notation available at:

Today's wake 'n break is a mainly triplet driven baiao groove with a heavy emphasis on the 1. It also sees us alternating between the stack and ride cymbal. Taking the feet first, our bass drum is falling on 1 and the "a" of 1, the "&" of 2, on 3 and the "a" of 3, and on the "&" of 4. Meanwhile, our hi-hats are being chicked on all of the upbeats or "&'s". Looking at the right hand next, our stack is falling on 1 and 3 while our ride bell is falling on 2 and 4. Last but not least, we come to the snare drum. We have accented notes on 1, 2, and 4, as well as ghosted notes on the "trip" of 1, the "trip" and "let" of 2, and on "3 trip let". As always, I hope you dig it and much love!

Wake n Break No. 1768 - Baiao Groove With Triplets On The Snare And A Heavy One

Notation available at:

Today's wake 'n break is a 6/8 groove that has a slew of bass drum notes and open hi-hats on some of the downbeats. Taking the hi-hats first, we have notes falling on "1&2&3&4&5&6&" with open notes on 1, 3, and 5. Next, our bass drum is falling on 1, the "&" of 2, and on "4&5&6&", and last but not least, our snare has a single note falling on 3. As always, I hope you dig it and much love!

Wake n Break No. 1769 - Bonham/Grohl-esque Bass Drum Groove In 6/8

Notation available at:

Today's wake 'n break is a dirty two bar sixteenth note backbeat with short ghosted blasts, and it starts with a pickup on the "a" of 4. Taking the hi-hats first, we have a steady slew of sixteenth notes on "1e&a 2e&a 3e&a 4e&a" throughout both bars, with barked notes on the "a" of 4. Looking at the bass drum next, we have notes falling on the "e&" of 1, the "&a" of 2, on 3 and the "a" of 3, and on the "a" of 4 in the first bar. The second bar is the same except our blast expands into the third beat. Last but not least, our snare drum has accented notes on 2 and 4 with ghosted 32nd notes peppered in between. As always, I hope you dig it and much love

Wake n Break No. 1770 - Dirty Sixteenth Note Groove With Short Ghosted Blasts
Notation available in the YouTube video description.

Today's wake 'n break utilizes a flat ride and is based around flams played on the ride, as well as rapid single handed sixteenth note triplets (counting: 1 trip let & trip let) that are also played on the ride cymbal. Taking the feet first, our bass drum is falling on 1 and the "let" of 1 while our hi-hats are keeping a quarter note pulse on 1, 2, 3, and 4. Looking at the ride cymbal next, we have a flam on the "trip" of 2, followed by notes on the "let" of 2, on 3 and the "let" of 3, and on "4 trip let & trip let". Last but not least, our snare drum has a single accented note on 4. As always, I hope you dig it and much love!

Wake n Break No. 1771 - Flammed Flat Ride Groove With Rapid Fire Sixteenth Note Triplets

Notation available at:

Today's wake 'n break is built around the unison between the ride cymbal and the snare drum. Taking the ride and snare first, we have ghost notes falling on 1 and on "4e" and the "a" of 4, as well as a single accented note on 3. Moving along to the bass drum, we have notes falling on the "a" of 1 and on the "&" of 3. Last but not least, we have hi-hat chicks on 1, the "&" of 2, and on the "&" of 3. As always, I hope you dig it and much love!

Wake n Break No. 1772 - Snare And Ride Unison Groove w/ A Single Snare Accent

Notation available at: https://imgur.com/FglXijJ

Back