"Wake 'n Break" Series

kindbeats

Platinum Member
Today's wake 'n break is a raw and wide open backbeat that utilizes a set of Pete Engelhart blossom bells, a stack, and an auxiliary set of hi-hats. Taking the bass drum first, we have notes falling on 1, the "a" of 2, and on 3. Looking at the bell swipe next, we are starting our swipe on the 1. Although I didn't play it this way in the video, I notated the bell swipe as sixteenth note triplets because I believe it sounds better than a straight ahead swipe. Moving along to the snare, we have notes falling on 2 and 4. Next, we are crashing our open auxiliary hats on 2 while leaving the stick on them during the decay. Last but not least, we have a single stack falling in unison with the snare drum on 4. As always, I hope you dig it and much love!

Wake n Break No. 1773 - Raw And Wide Open Backbeat With A Stack And Bell Swipe

Notation link available in the youtube video description.

kindbeats

Platinum Member
Happy humpday! Today's wake 'n break has some ghosted snare notes as well as upbeat accents. Taking the bass drum first, we have notes falling on 1, the "a" of 1, and on 4. Next, our hi-hats are falling on 1, the "a" or 1, an open note on 3, and then another note on 4. Last but not least, our snare has ghost notes on the "e&" of 1 and on the "e" of 4, as well accented notes on the "&" of 2, the "&" of 3, and on the "&a" of 4. As always, I hope you dig it and hang in there because we're already halfway through the workweek!

Wake n Break No. 1774 - Bass Drum & Hi-Hat Unisons w/ Upbeat Snare Accents
Notation link in the video description!

kindbeats

Platinum Member
Today's wake 'n break is a two bar groove where we are alternating between downbeats and anticipated notes on the ride cymbal. Taking the feet first, we have our bass drum falling on 1, the "a" of 2, on 3, and on the "a" of 4 in both bars. Meanwhile, our hi-hats are being chicked on all of the upbeats or "&'s". Moving along to the snare in the first bar, we have accented notes on 2 and 4, as well as ghost notes on the "a" of 1 and on the "a" of 3. In the second bar, however, we are simply playing the 2 and 4 as a cross stick. Last but not least comes the ride cymbal. In the first bar, we have a quarter note pulse falling on "1, 2, 3, 4", but in the final bar, we are striking the side of the cymbal on all of the "e's" and "a's". As always, I hope you dig it and much love!

Wake n Break No. 1775 - Two Bar Groove Alternating Between Downbeats And Anticipated Notes On The Ride

Notation available at: https://imgur.com/WK9wOzE

kindbeats

Platinum Member
Thank goodness it's Friday! :) Today's wake 'n break is a two bar waltz groove that utilizes a tambourine on top of the snare drum. Taking the feet first, our bass drum is falling on 1 while our hi-hats are being chicked on 2 and 3. In the second bar, however, the hi-hat on 3 is splashed. Lastly, we come to the tambourine, where we have quarter note circles being swiped with the right hand while the left hand is voicing accents on 1 and the "&" of 2 in both bars. As always, I hope you dig it and much love!

Wake n Break No. 1776 - Two Bar Tambourine Waltz With Brushes And Cross Rhythm Accents

Notation available at:

kindbeats

Platinum Member
Saturday night is alright for fighting and even better for drumming! :) Today's wake 'n break is a two bar groove that is based around five stroke rolls that are played as eighth note triplets between the hats and snare. Taking the bass drum first, we have notes on 1 and the "let" of 1 in both bars. Looking at the hi-hats next, we have a buzzed note on 1 and on the "trip" of 3 in both bars, with an additional open hi-hat note on 4 in the second bar. Last but not least, our snare drum has buzzed notes on the "trip" of 1 and on 3, as well as struck notes on the "let" of 3. As always, I hope you dig it and much love!

Wake n Break No. 1777 - Five Stroke Triplet Groove With Rolls Broken Up Between The Hi-Hats And Snare Drum

Notation link available:

kindbeats

Platinum Member
It's Sunday Drumday! :) Today's wake 'n break is a sixteenth note backbeat that has many of our ride and hi-hat notes falling in unison. Taking the ride cymbal first, we have a steady stream of sixteenth notes falling on "1e&a, 2e&a, 3e&a, 4e&a". Looking at the bass drum next, we have notes falling on "1&", the "&" of 3, and on the "e" of 4. Moving along to the snare drum, we have our backbeat falling on 2 and 4. Last but not least, our hi-hats are falling on "1e&a", the "&a" of 2, on "3e", and then a short open note on the "a" of 4. As always, I hope you dig it and much love!

Wake n Break No. 1778 - Sixteenth Note Backbeat With Ride And Hi-Hats Often Falling In Unison

Notation available at:

kindbeats

Platinum Member
A new week is upon us once again! :) Today's wake 'n break is broken up between the bass drum, snare drum, ride, hi-hat, and a stack (in this case, an original Hammerax Crash Course) and it has a sixteenth note triplet (counting: "1 trip let & trip let") stagger to it. Taking the bass drum first, we have notes falling on 1 and the "a" of 1, on the "&" and second let of 2, on the first "trip" of 3, and on 4. Looking at cymbals next, our ride cymbal has notes falling on 1 and on the "&" of 2, our stack has a note falling on the second "let" of 2, and our hi-hats have open notes on the first "trip" of 3 and on 4. Moving along to the snare drum, we have a ruff that leads into the bass drum on 1, followed more notes on "2 trip let", the "&" of 3, and on the "&" of 4. Last but not least, our hi-hats are keeping an eighth note pulse the entire time. As always, I hope you dig it and here's to everyone's week starting off on the good foot!

Wake n Break No. 1779 - Stack, Ride, And Snare Groove With A Sixteenth Note Triplet Stagger

Notation available at:

kindbeats

Platinum Member
Today's wake 'n break is an eighth note groove in 7/4 and is broken up between the bass drum, snare, toms, and hi-hat. Taking the hi-hats first, we have a steady slew of eighth notes falling on "1&2&3&4&5&6&", as well as an open quarter note on 7. Looking at the bass drum next, we have notes falling on 1, 2, the "&" of 5, and on the "&" of 6. Moving along to the snare drum, we have a cross stick on 3 and then an accented note on 7. Last but not least, our floor tom is falling on the "&" of 4 and on 5 while our high tom is falling on 6. As always, I hope you dig it and much love!

Wake n Break No. 1780 - Odd Time Groove In 7/4 With Eighth Notes On The Hi-Hats

Notation available at:

kindbeats

Platinum Member
Happy Humpday! Finally got back in front of my computer after a long day or rehearsals. Today's wake 'n break is a cross stick backbeat utilizing a set of jingles on the hi-hats, as well as a wadded up shirt in between the two hi-hats so that you only hear the jingles and no attack. Taking bass drum first, we have notes falling on the "e" and "a" of 1. Next, our hi-hats are being chicked on "1&2&3&4&" and struck on the "&a" of 2 and on "3e&a" with an open note on the "a" of 3. Last but not least, we have a cross stick falling on 2 and 4. As always, I hope you dig it and hang in there because we're already halfway through the workweek!

Wake n Break No. 1781 - Cross Stick Backbeat With Eighth Note Jingles On The Hi-Hats
https://youtu.be/nHBUU13Uso0

Notation link available in the youtube video description!

kindbeats

Platinum Member
Today's wake 'n break is a two bar phrase with open hi-hat notes on all of the upbeats or "&'s". Starting with the bass drum, we have notes falling on "1&" in both bars. Next, we have our upbeat hi-hat openings falling on the upbeats. Last but not least, our snare drum is falling on "3e&a" and on "4e&" in the first bar, followed by notes on "3e" and the "a" of 3, as well as on "4&" in the second bar. As always, I hope you dig it and much love!

Wake n Break No. 1782 - Two Bar Groove With Hi-Hat Openings On The Upbeats

Notation available at:

kindbeats

Platinum Member
Thank goodness it's Friday! Today's wake 'n break is isn't a traditional mozambique or guaguanco, but the groove itself in inspired by both rhythms, hence I referred to it as a "hybrid" in the title. Starting with the feet first, our bass drum is falling on 1 and the "a" of 1 while our hi-hats are being chicked on all of the upbeats or "&'s". Looking at the ride cymbal next, we have notes falling on 1, the "a" of 1, and on the "e" of 2. Moving along to the tom, we have notes falling on the "&a" of 2. Next, our stack is falling on "3e". Last but not least, we have a cross stick note on the "&" of 1 followed by a crescendo of snare notes on the "&a" of 3 and on "4e&", with the "&" of 4 being played as an accented note. As always, I hope you dig it and much love!

Wake n Break No. 1783 - An Uptempo Hybrid of Guaguanco And Mozambique

Notation available at:

kindbeats

Platinum Member
Today's wake 'n break is a slinky open handed halftime backbeat with ghost notes on the hi-hats, as well as a couple of notes played on the rim of the bass drum. Taking the bass drum first, we have notes falling on "1&", with our stick striking the rim of the bass drum in unison. Looking at the hi-hats next, we have notes falling on the "e" and "a" of 1, on 2 and the "&a" of 2, and on the "e&a" of 3 with a lingering open hi-hat note on the "a" of 3. Moving along to the tom, we have a single note falling on the "e" of 2 and last but not least, our snare drum has a single accented note on 3. As always, I hope you dig it and much love!

Wake n Break No. 1784 - A Slinky And Open Handed Halftime Backbeat w/ Ghosted Hi-Hat notes

Notation available at:

kindbeats

Platinum Member
Finally back behind my computer after a fantastic gig. :) Today's wake 'n break is a two bar backbeat with upbeat triplet accents on the hats in the first bar, followed by downbeats in the second bar. Taking the bass drum first, we have notes falling on 1 and 3 in both bars. Next, our snare drum is providing the backbeat on 2 and 4. Last but not least, our hi-hats are falling on the "trip" and "let" of 1, the "trip" and "let" of 2, the "trip" and "let" of 3, and on the "trip" and "let"of 4 in the first bar, followed by notes on "1e", "2e", "3e", and on "4e" in the second bar. As always, I hope you dig it and much love!

Wake n Break No. 1785 - Two Bar Backbeat Alternating Between Upbeat Triplets & Downbeats On The Hi-Hats

Notation available at:

kindbeats

Platinum Member
A new week is upon us once again! Today's wake 'n break is a slinky and funky 6/8 groove broken up between the bass drum, hi-hats, and snare drum. Taking the bass drum first, we have notes falling on 1, on "4&", and on the "&" of 5. Looking at the hi-hats next, we have notes falling on "1&" with the "&" being an open note, the "&" of 2, on 3, on "4&", and on the "&" of 5 and the "&" of 6. Last but not least, our snare drum has accented notes on 2 and the "&" of 6 with a ghost note on the "&" of 3. As always, I hope you dig it and here's to everyone's week starting off on the good foot!

Wake n Break No. 1786 - A Funky And Slinky Groove In 6/8

Notation available at:

kindbeats

Platinum Member
My drums are packed up for a gig, so today's wake 'n break is a partido alto groove for pandeiro. I've played a similar rhythm in the series before, but I have wrapped some jingles around my wrist for a bit of holiday vibe. As always, I hope you dig it and that all of you have a wonderful Christmas Eve! ❄☃❄

Wake n Break No. 1787 - Partido Alto Groove For Pandeiro With Jingle Bells Wrapped Around The Wrist

kindbeats

Platinum Member
Merry Christmas! 🎅 A few years ago, I came up with a little piece that took the melody to "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen" and put it over a boom bap beat. The second part was a bossa groove with the bells playing notes from "Carol of The Bells". Since my drums are still packed up, I broke out my Pete Engelhart blossom bells and decided to try and blend those two melodies together. The result was a two bar phrase with the first bar being the first half of the "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen" melody, followed by a bar of "Carol of the Bells". Finally, I'm hitting a tambourine with my foot to keep a quarter note jingle pulse. When I unpack my drums tomorrow, I think I'm going to try and adapt this one for the kit. I hope you all had a Merry Christmas and much love!

Wake n Break No. 1788 - Creating A Soothing Bell Melody By Combining The Melodies of Two Christmas Carols

kindbeats

Platinum Member
Today's wake 'n break takes part of the melody from "Carol of the Bells" and turns it into a fat backbeat with blossom bells used for the melody. Taking the bell pattern first (you can use toms, cymbals, or any other sounds you like), the highest pitched bell is falling on 1 and the "a" of 1, the "&" of 2, the "e" of 3, and on 4. Next, our middle pitched bell is falling on the "&" of 1, on 3, and on the "&" of 4. Finally, the lowest pitched bell is falling on 2 and on the "&" of 3. Moving along to the feet, our bass drum is falling on 1 and on the "a" of 3 while our hi-hats are being chicked on all of the upbeats or "&'s". Last but not least, our snare is falling on 2 and on "4e&a". As always, I hope you dig it and much love!

Wake n Break No. 1789 - Turning The "Carol of the Bells" Into A Really Fat Backbeat

Notation available at:

kindbeats

Platinum Member
Thank goodness it's Friday! :) Today's wake 'n break is a syncopated quasi-linear groove reminiscent of funk legend, Zigaboo Modeliste of the Meters. The reason why I am referring to this groove as "quasi-linear" is because there is actually a single unison between the bass drum and snare drum. Taking the bass drum first, we have notes falling on 1, 2, and on the "e" of 3. Looking at the hi-hats next, we have notes falling on the "e&" of 1, the "e&" of 2, the "a" of 3, and then an open note on the "a" of 4. Last but not least, our snare drum is falling on 2 and on the "e" of 4. As always, I hope you dig it and much love!

Wake n Break No. 1790 - Quasi-Linear Groove With A Zigaboo Modeliste Vibe

Notation available at:

kindbeats

Platinum Member
Today's wake 'n break is a 6/4 groove and is what I sometimes call a "tick tick" groove, referring to groupings of three notes on the hi-hats. Taking the bass drum first, we have notes falling on 1 and on the "e" of 6. Next, our hi-hats have notes falling on 1 and the "&a" of 1, 2 and the "&a" of 2, 3 and the "&a" of 3, 4 and the "&a" of 4, on 5, and on 6, with open notes on the "a" of 1, the "a" of 2, the "a" of 3, the "a" of 4, and on 5. Moving along to the snare drum, we have accented notes on 2, 4, 6, and the "a" of 6, as well as ghost notes on the "e" of 1 and on the "e" of 3. Last but not least, our hi-hats are being chicked on "1&2&3&4&". As always, I hope you dig it and much love!

Wake n Break No. 1791 - Busy Groove In 6/4 With Eighth Note Hi-Hat Chicks

Notation available at:

kindbeats

Platinum Member
Today's wake 'n break is a New Orleans inspired groove that starts on the snare drum instead of a bass drum. Taking the hi-hats first, we have sixteenth notes on "1e&a, 2e&a, 3e&a, 4e&a" with an open note on the "&" of 4. The sixteenth notes are being played with what I refer to as a broken swing feel. Next, our bass drum has notes falling on the "a" of 2 and on 3 and the "a" of 3. Last but not least, our snare drum has notes falling on "1e" and the "a" of 1, the "e&" of 2, and finally an accented note on the "&" of 4. As always, I hope you dig it and much love!

Wake n Break No. 1792 - A Funky New Orleans Inspired Groove Starting On The Snare Drum

Notation available at: