Vintage 60's Paste 20" medium sizzle cymbal

TWerner

So I've been shopping for my 10 year old son's first drum set. I ordered a Sonor set for him, and got some new beats used on ebay that seem nice. Then I found a guy with a 6 month old AAX Stage Ride for $100 and bought it. It was in beautiful shape, so I figured why not, but when we tried it at home, it was soooooooooooooooooo loud. Yeah, I know, he should learn to hit it softer . . . but he's 10 and wearing ear protection. So I re-listed it on ebay. Figure I'll get what I paid for it. Then I saw this one day auction for the Paste 602 medium sizzle ride, which is supposed to be a good ride for acoustic jazz, and didn't expect to win it, but ... I did.

It's this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/PAISTE-1960...eLxxttE0YURJrpFrtf9s0Q0=&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

and I have this suspicion that a vintage 602 in that condition is probably worth a lot more than what I paid. So .... should I let my son learn on this thing, or is that like giving him a vintage porsche as his first car? I do like the idea that it will be a little quieter than the stage ride, and the youtube of it sounds pretty amazing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwFHsE8rTxg
I know it's just youtube but it's my favorite of all the ones I've listened to except maybe the K custom dark.
Advice? ? ?

In my world, drums and cymbals are meant to be played, not to be show pieces on a shelf.....even for a 10 year old beginner. Of course there are exceptions, but that beautiful 602 ride is not one of them. It was built to be heard.

As long as he treats it with a bit of TLC, plays it the way it was intended to be played and doesn't needlessly belt the bejesus outta the thing, it'll serve him well for years.

Great find.....enjoy!!

Awesome. Are the rivets permanent, or to they pop out?

Rivets are permanent. Over time they can break and fall out. You may also find that guys replace the rivets with a screw and nut (either because they are too cheap to properly replace the rivet or they like the ability to be able to add/remove it at will)....but if it's a true rivet it'll be there to stay by design.

Thanks for the info.
So do you know if this ride came from Paiste with the rivets, or if somebody had to drill the holes to add them later?

Rivets aren't permanent, though some may be harder to remove than others, I.e., you'd have to cut them out. Split-tail rivets are also common on cymbals and are easy to remove.

A ten year old should be old enough to understand good technique, and how to play an instrument rather than destroy it. So turn him loose and let him have fun with it.

So turn him loose and let him have fun with it.

That's the plan. But I was telling my buddy the other day that I finally asked my son what kind of music he wanted to learn the drums to play. He said, "Star Wars" ? ? !

That is what he's been playing on the piano. So I asked if he wanted to play music with other people, maybe the kind Train and Fun and Maroon 5 play, since that's what he listens to. He said he didn't know, then said, "I guess". Turns out, he just wanted to play drums because it's fun to hit them, making the "have fun" part a bit scary.

Obviously I'll support his efforts. He's enjoying learning the rhythms and coordination, he practices almost every day on both instruments, and honestly, learning to play on the drum pad has made his piano playing immensely better, and piano obviously helps with Marimba. I think he's even starting something in 6/8 time now on the piano, so maybe I'll have a percussionist for a son, not a pianist or a drummer. And he'll have sizzle LOL

It looks in the picture like the rivets have two tabs that got bent out, and could be straightened, not like they're normal rivets you'd flair with a rivet gun. My web searching makes me think maybe it has split rivets.

Nice score! Those usually seem to go for 175-300. I thought I got a great deal on a pretty heavily-used 602 MR for ~$150 earlier this year, but yours is basically like new. Go ahead and let him play it, but if he gets into bashing phase, get him something else until he works through it.

Gotta love stumbling onto a one day auction for exactly what you want.

I don't think he'll be a basher, but you never know. I'm building a bunch of sound absorber panels either way. I finished 2 and built 8 more frames in about 2 hours, so we'll wind up with a lot of them. I got enough Thermafiber to make 16 2'x4' panels. My wife thinks I'm crazy :)

Back