USB Mic

Th3rddrummer

I am starting to record drums but have just been attempting to do so with my phone. Therefore I am dealing with the peaking from the phone not being able to process all the sounds while condensing the sound file. I know the traditional way to do this would be to go get 1-2 mics and an audio interface but is the better option to get the hang of recording and mixing my sounds to buy a simple USB condenser mic that will pick up everything and give me a better sound. Drums are just placed in a bedroom and for reference I am a senior in high school.

Thanks,
Th3rddrummer

Not the answer you probably want to hear but if I were in your shoes I think the best option would be to go with a Zoom Q2n-4K Handy Video Recorder with XY Microphone. You'll not only end up with better audio but you have the plus of video footage as well. The Zoom Q2n-4K is currently on sale for $189 at Sweetwater. If you don't require video, any of Zoom Handy recorders should suffice for your budget and needs.

Not the answer you probably want to hear but if I were in your shoes I think the best option would be to go with a Zoom Q2n-4K Handy Video Recorder with XY Microphone. You'll not only end up with better audio but you have the plus of video footage as well. The Zoom Q2n-4K is currently on sale for $189 at Sweetwater. If you don't require video, any of Zoom Handy recorders should suffice for your budget and needs.
I’d go with this too. In good light those Zoom video recorders do a great job. I have the Q8 and in a pinch it does well.

OR - I also have one of those XLR-to-iOS interfaces and can plug a single mic into it, or a line out from a mixer to record video and audio into my iPhone - that’s a great tool because it does better video, and I can edit and go straight to the internet from there.

I can't answer your question directly as I have no experience with USB mic's, but something to try that costs nothing at all is to place your phone over your left shoulder. I saw someone mention that on here (I think), and I gave it a quick try and was quite surprised at the improvement in sound quality.
I didn't take it any further because that's not how I record, but since I had my doubts to the validity of that suggestion I just had to give it a go. It doesn't sound like anything remotely professional, but it seemed to prevent the mic from being overdriven.

About the cheapest setup you can get for descent quality recording/mixing is the Yamaha EAD10, but that is considerably more expensive than a USB mic.
This seems like a great find. I didn't see anything like that when I was looking around for options

Do they get rid of the oversaturation of noise that phones are notorious for having when recording? Is the Yamaha EAD10 a better option in the long run?

Do they get rid of the oversaturation of noise that phones are notorious for having when recording? Is the Yamaha EAD10 a better option in the long run?
Any of the mid level or upper level Zoom recorders--placed appropriately--should outperform your cell phone sonically. That just leaves variables of heads, tuning and room acoustics effecting overall sound quality.

I can't comment on the Yamaha EAD10 not having used it before.

Help me understand if your overall goal is to learn and master the recording process as it relates to drums--or--is it to record your playing for you to monitor your personal progress as a drummer? If it's the latter, the Zoom options are a nice price point to quality ratio for that purpose.

If you want to learn the recording process then you have to decide how deep you want to jump in. That would make more sense starting with a single USB mic and stand if that is the extent of your budget. Take a look at the Audio-Technica AT2020-USB+ microphone. One or two of these would put you in the game of learning how to record. Are they studio quality microphones? No. Strictly entry level for podcast and content creators. But I sense budget is going to be a governing factor (it sure was for me when I was in high school).

Personally I would steer you towards socking your money away for a proper audio interface--even if only two channels--and two decent microphones, mic stands and quality XLR cables. But everyone has to start somewhere so it's your call how bad you want to jump in right now.
Stick to your budget.

I would recommend that you call Sweetwater Pro Audio and get assigned to a personal representative. Let them know that you're a drummer, you're in high school and what you're trying to accomplish on your budget. Your rep can walk you through some options and piece together a plan for your needs. You'll develop a relationship with your rep over time, just be open to listening to what he or she says. Their job isn't to sell you what you want but rather to direct you to what you need.

My two cents.

Back