Unwrapped Ludwig Rockers Update!

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
I was looking back and realized it's been about 7 years since I first started my little unwrapping project.

The first part started here but I've been making a lot of changes now that I have *ahem* some free time so I thought a full update was in order.

Over the years I've collected several old Ludwig Rocker, Rocker II, and even a pre-Monroe S/L series drums, and started removing wrap and sanding/clear-coating the shells.

The Rocker lugs are really prone to breaking, so over time I've replaced almost every lug with large classic lugs, which have the same hole spacing.

Goofing around I figured why not set up a big kit?

While all those drums are fun, I've really settled on this set up as being pretty much perfect for me.

Since I've been on a big "upgrade" spree I've added S-Hoops on the batter side of all of the toms. I've also replaced all of my old black Hendrix washers and other assorted random nylon washers with red Hendrix washers for a tiny pop of color. I suspect red cymbal felts are on the horizon.

They look great, and I like all the photos. I also like the stealth rack. Peace and goodwill.

I said it then and I'll say it again it's hard to believe that those are rockers. They look wonderful. I had some SL Series in the 80s they sounded pretty darn good

I said it then and I'll say it again it's hard to believe that those are rockers. They look wonderful. I had some SL Series in the 80s they sounded pretty darn good

The S/L series tom I have was interesting. Like the other Rockers it was exceptionally clean and smooth under the wrap. Unlike the others, which appear to have a maple outer ply, the outside ply on my S/L seems to be something different, maybe poplar? It's really white, fairly soft, and almost completely lacking any visible grain or figuring.

Almost all of my drums were surprisingly good looking under the wrap. I originally unwrapped one tom as a test, not knowing what might be under there, and after I found an incredible-looking shell I made quick work of all of them, and began my collection in earnest.

The elbow grease I put into them plays a part in it, but I honestly love these drums and I can't believe how awesome they sound. I've played a lot of drums that were "nice" or were a "good value" but nothing can compare with drums that you have a visceral connection with. For me, Ludwig drums have that, and especially these.

The S/L series tom I have was interesting. Like the other Rockers it was exceptionally clean and smooth under the wrap. Unlike the others, which appear to have a maple outer ply, the outside ply on my S/L seems to be something different, maybe poplar? It's really white, fairly soft, and almost completely lacking any visible grain or figuring.
Yes I think you're right I was pretty sure that my drums were 4 ply Poplar they were very white they also had Ludwig classic lugs on them.

Yes I think you're right I was pretty sure that my drums were 4 ply Poplar they were very white they also had Ludwig classic lugs on them.

Yes, my S/L had small Classic lugs.

What's a little frustrating is how Ludwig hid what ALL of their drums were made of under the blanket "American whitewood" terminology so it's a little hard to confirm for sure what they were using, especially on the lower lines. I'm sure they were using whatever was cheap, easy, and plentiful but it makes the dectective work that much harder.

Good-looking stuff. The seven-tom setup has me waiting for Phil Collins to show up in a picture. He would have had concert toms, though.

Though I've been playing Pearl for decades now, my first set ever was a Ludwig. Kind of sentimental.

Good-looking stuff. The seven-tom setup has me waiting for Phil Collins to show up in a picture. He would have had concert toms, though.

He's actually in every one of those pics I posted, between the Face Value LP, the laminated backstage pass hanging on the tom stand, and the Phil Collins signature ride cymbal.

But even more to the point, the Rockers aren't the only Ludwigs I have...

Yeah, I'm kinda a fan... :p

Classic! Those are straight out of a '70s time capsule. I sort of miss the once-common sound of concert toms. All attack with no resonance.

In the general genre of "rock," I've always believed that Phil Collins has one of the most distinctive styles in drumming history. You always know when he's playing. He imprints every note with his own identity.

Back