Ultimate learning book?

Drew221

Im pretty new to drumming, and unfortunately i cant afford lessons (i know ill probably get roasted for that, a lot of people are live or die by lessons). I feel i have started to pick up a lot of stuff significantly with the time i put in, such as rudiments and basic beats, but i am a pretty structured learner. Im looking for a book that will really give me a kickstart on learning, and will help me develop my technique, independence, etc. im not looking for something thats gonna make me a pro, just really help develop the fundamentals i really need to get on my own.

Pretty much the two books that are must for beginners are Stick Control and Syncopation. However it helps to have context for what you're learning, which these books don't provide on their own.

The big red book, Basic Drumming by Joel Rothmann, does have everything you need to begin and even provides some context for drum set playing as well written into the book. Its more expensive off the bat, but is worth looking into as well.

Im pretty new to drumming, and unfortunately i cant afford lessons (i know ill probably get roasted for that, a lot of people are live or die by lessons). I feel i have started to pick up a lot of stuff significantly with the time i put in, such as rudiments and basic beats, but i am a pretty structured learner. Im looking for a book that will really give me a kickstart on learning, and will help me develop my technique, independence, etc. im not looking for something thats gonna make me a pro, just really help develop the fundamentals i really need to get on my own.

Well, the "I'm not looking for something that's gonna make me pro" phrase needs to be defined, but ok. In that case, what is it you want to do? Drumming, like all things art, can be learned from all kinds of angles, and usually those angles are more easily defined if you have an end-goal in mind. Take a step back and really focus in on what exactly it is you want out of your drumming, then the plan should form naturally.

After about a year of playing, I came across a book by James Morton, titled Easiest Drum Set Book and I enjoyed learning everything in it. That book gave me a sense of accomplishment.

And about six months before I discovered that book, I purchased, Syncopation by Ted Reed. But, I could not get into that book at all. For me, any book or learning material needs to seem relevant. Because it's the relevance that inspires me to keep at it.

Last edited:
Books like syncopation are excellent, if you have a teacher or someone explaining how to use it.

You should say how new, (how long) and what level you are at. Can you read music? can you do it well? can you keep excellent time? How is your current independence?

Survival guide for the modern drummers comes with a few disks, and goes over a ton of different styles, grooves, fills, etc. I thought it was a really good book for relatively new students. Especially if you don't know where you want to take your drumming. It has a bit of everything.

If your looking for becoming a world groove, jazz, funk drummer etc there are also books specific to those kindof things.

Until you can do consistent clean doubles and diddles that is something that always needs work. it pays off in the end,

If there were such a thing as an "ultimate learning book", then drum lessons would pretty much go extinct.

All the products -- books, DVDs, online programs, YouTube -- for a beginner, none of them have replaced lessons in any meaningful way, because they can't tell YOU what YOU are doing wrong. A video screen can't correct your grip or posture, or make you adjust your dynamics, help you count, or fix your bass drum technique. Private lessons give a much more meaningful and nuanced learning experience.

Let's say you decide to purchase the Joel Rothman book ($30) and an online course for 3 months at $30 per month. For the same price, you can get about 5 weeks worth of private lessons. If it were me teaching you, we'd learn about 3 or 4 easy songs, plus you'd get technique training, independence and coordination exercises, improved listening abilities, learn notation, counting methods, and on and on. From there, you could then supplement by purchasing an online program, in order to keep learning more songs.

So, at least start with a few lessons. If you're even thinking about buying books or online courses, you can surely afford it.

Yeah. Correct progression and feedback based on your evel, needs and understanding can't come from a book.

I don't have them, but the Trinity and/or Rock School stuff is one way to start, I guess.

Methods cover one subject or are up to interpretation. That's also where the teacher comes up as an encyclopedia that sort of does the right "googleing" for you.

Basic info on where you're at, if you read, goals and how much you're wlling to work can help a bit.

In any case these would be a good buy from drumset.
Ultimate Play-a-long by Dave Weckl:
Survival Guide for the Modern Drummer by Jim Riley.
Groove Essentials by Tommy Igoe.

For independence it would e New Breed, but take it slow and get some help simplifying things if it's too much at this point Understanding Rhythm by Michael Lauren might be a better place to start.

If you're serious you need some sort of technique routine and general snare work. Great Hands for a a Lifetime and the Podemski book might be somewhere to start.

Not all of this may be right for you, but any student or teacher should have these IMO.

You should say how new, (how long) and what level you are at. Can you read music? can you do it well? can you keep excellent time? How is your current independence?

I've been playing for roughly 2 months on a cheap electric kit I have as well as a practice pad. I have learned to read some drum music, I'm not too great yet but still learning, and my time is decent as far as I can tell. I can play some basic rock beats, and I'm still working on my independence, but so far I feel I have separated my hands and feet pretty good (still working, always can work on it more) but I struggle with separating my hands from each other and my feet from each other.

Another vote for the Jim Riley book. Great book.

Back