TrackTalk: Bill Gibson on "Sports" and "The Power of Love"

John DeChristopher

Drums Ambassador
I hope you enjoy this little excerpt with Bill Gibson of Huey Lewis and the News. Check out the entire episode and please subscribe!

Awesome! Sports was the first cassette tape I bought with my own money and I started learning how to play the drums playing along primarily to Huey Lewis and the News' first three albums. Bill has always come off as a nice guy and he's such an underrated drummer so it's nice to see the spotlight pointed his way.

Does Bill talk about what he used in the studio in the longer version of that video? I remember seeing a Zildjian ad in 84/85 where it looked he had Sonor Phonics and a Tama snare. Certainly sounds like Phonics on "The Power Of Love". Speaking of that, I have a promo 45 that's titled "Power of Love" and has slightly different writing credits. Curious.

Thanks for posting!

Dan

Does Bill talk about what he used in the studio in the longer version of that video? I remember seeing a Zildjian ad in 84/85 where it looked he had Sonor Phonics and a Tama snare. Certainly sounds like Phonics on "The Power Of Love". Speaking of that, I have a promo 45 that's titled "Power of Love" and has slightly different writing credits. Curious.

Thanks for posting!

Dan
Hey Dan,

I’m not sure how much we talked about his Sonor kit - it was an early episode, over three years ago and I can’t remember :) Here’s the link. The full episode is also available as a podcast.

This interviewers apprehensive style makes for a laid back interview. I remember when Bill switched to Yamaha and didn't like his recorded sound as much. I missed the fat Sonor phonics.

Last edited:
This interviewers apprehensive style always makes me feel uncomfortable. I'd much prefer an interview with Howard Stern. I remember when Bill switched to Yamaha and didn't like his recorded sound as much. I missed the fat Sonor phonics.
I can't argue with you. I cringe when I watch some of the early episodes. I was winging it and making it up as I went along. Bill started endorsing Yamaha around 1986 when "Fore" was released, but I don't know if he recorded "Fore" with Yamaha or his Sonor drums. The first time I recall seeing Bill playing Yamaha was the "Jacob's Ladder" video. He never officially endorsed Sonor. He bought his kit (in '79 I believe).

I can't argue with you. I cringe when I watch some of the early episodes. I was winging it and making it up as I went along. Bill started endorsing Yamaha around 1986 when "Fore" was released, but I don't know if he recorded "Fore" with Yamaha or his Sonor drums. The first time I recall seeing Bill playing Yamaha was the "Jacob's Ladder" video. He never officially endorsed Sonor. He bought his kit (in '79 I believe).
I don't know, but I *think* Bozozoid was kidding...

Either way, I prefer how you interview these great drummers. I mean, Howard would just want to know about what kind of sexual hijinks these guys got into.

Either way, I prefer how you interview these great drummers. I mean, Howard would just want to know about what kind of sexual hijinks these guys got into.
I forgot to put a smiley face by Howard Stern letting you know I was kidding. A few beers today left me lacking diplomacy skills. As I posted I'd hoped for light heartedness but going back I wasn't happy with my post. I'm changing it.

Ha! Thank you. I appreciate it.
I forgot to put a smiley face by Howard Stern letting you know I was kidding. A few beers today left me lacking diplomacy skills. As I posted I'd hoped for light heartedness but going back I wasn't happy with my post. I'm changing it.
Ha! I'm about to have one myself. But you were right... you didn't need to change it, but very kind of you.

Two favourite 80's power pop bands - Huey Lewis & The News and Greg Khin Band . Both drummers with Phonics at one point in their bands history , both styles with fat knockout pockets .

Great interview as usual , John . U da man !!!!

Back