Top 20 Drummer Firings -- 2000s Edition

Son of Vistalite Black

Pleased to introduce what may be the first AI-assisted Drummerworld Post. Son of Vistalite Black asked ChatGPT for a top 20 list of drummers who were fired from prominent rock bands since 2000 (purposely excluding Pete Best, etc.), based on their fame, impact, and controversy:

Dave Lombardo (Slayer) - Fired in 2013 after a dispute over royalties and tour profits. He was replaced by Paul Bostaph, who had previously replaced him in 1992.

Joey Jordison (Slipknot) - Fired in 2013 for unknown reasons, although he claimed he was suffering from a neurological disorder that affected his drumming. He later formed the band Scar the Martyr.

Bill Ward (Black Sabbath) - Fired in 2012 after refusing to sign a contract that he deemed unfair and disrespectful. He was replaced by Brad Wilk and Tommy Clufetos.

Mike Portnoy (Dream Theater) - Fired in 2010 after announcing his departure from the band to join Avenged Sevenfold. He later regretted his decision and asked to rejoin, but was rejected by his former bandmates. He was replaced by Mike Mangini.

Deen Castronovo (Journey) – Fired in 2015 after being charged with multiple felonies. Now back with Journey.

Ryan Vikedal (Nickelback) – Fired in 2005 and Chad Kroger later filed suit stating that Vikedal was continuing to collect royalties on several of the band’s hits.

Jay Weinberg (Against Me!) - Slipknot announced in Nov. 2023 that they had parted ways with drummer Jay Weinberg. The band stated they had "decided to make a creative decision, and to part ways with Jay" with no further explanation. Weinberg was previously fired by Against Me in 2012.

Travis Barker (Blink-182) - Fired in 2005 along with singer Tom DeLonge, after the latter announced an indefinite hiatus from the band. He later rejoined the band in 2009, after surviving a plane crash that killed four people.

Phil Rudd (AC/DC) - Fired in 2014 after being arrested for drug possession and threatening to kill a former employee. He was replaced by Chris Slade, who had previously played with the band in the early 1990s.

Steve Smith (Journey) – Fired in 2020 for joining with Ross Valory for what Neal Schon described as an “ill-conceived” band coup.

Josh Freese (A Perfect Circle) - Fired in 2011 after deciding to focus on his other projects, such as The Vandals and Nine Inch Nails. He was replaced by Jeff Friedl.

Ilan Rubin (Lostprophets) - Fired in 2009 after the band's singer, Ian Watkins, was arrested for child sex offenses. He later joined Nine Inch Nails and Angels & Airwaves.

Jason> (Hawthorne Heights) - Fired in 2007 after being accused of misconduct by a fan. He was replaced by Eron Bucciarelli.

Tim Alexander (Primus) - Fired in 1996 after a creative dispute with singer Les Claypool. He later rejoined the band in 2003 and 2013, but was replaced by Jay Lane and Bryan Mantia in between.

James Kottak (Scorpions) – Fired in 2016, a couple years after being arrested for “offensive behavior” in Dubai after shouting insults after arriving by plane. (RIP)

Gene Hoglan (Strapping Young Lad) - Fired in 2007 after the band's leader, Devin Townsend, decided to disband the group and pursue a solo career. He later played with Testament, Fear Factory, and Dethklok.

Chris Pennie (Coheed and Cambria) - Fired in 2011 after failing to obtain a visa to tour with the band in Europe. He was replaced by Josh Eppard, who had previously left the band in 2006.

Adrian Erlandsson (Cradle of Filth) - Fired in 1999 after clashing with the band's singer, Dani Filth, over musical direction. He later played with The Haunted, Brujeria, and At the Gates.

Gil Sharone (The Dillinger Escape Plan) - Fired in 2008 after deciding to leave the band to pursue other opportunities. He was replaced by Billy Rymer.

Jon Wysocki (Staind) - Fired in 2011 after expressing dissatisfaction with the band's direction and lack of communication. He was replaced by Sal Giancarelli.

This is great. Some I never knew the reason why they were gone. They were just gone one day.

I'd venture to correct AI and say if a drummer left a band because the band disbanded, they got "laid off" rather than fired *insert Gene Hoglan here*. 😁

Mike Portnoy (Dream Theater) _ he wasn't fired. He quit. But the yes he tried to un-quit and was told no.
He wasn't fired. He quit. But the yes he tried to un-quit and was told no. So I guess, in a way, he was fired for quitting.

He was later let go from Avenged Sevenfold.

Gil Sharone (The Dillinger Escape Plan) - Fired in 2008 after deciding to leave the band
That doesn't make any sense. lol.

Jay Weinberg (Against Me!) - Slipknot announced in Nov. 2023 that they had parted ways with drummer Jay Weinberg. The band stated they had "decided to make a creative decision, and to part ways with Jay" with no further explanation. Weinberg was previously fired by Against Me in 2012.

I thought we had discussed that he wasn't fired from Agaisntg Me, that he quit without giving the band any notice. (though the band was somewhat inactive at the time).

Back