Thinking of getting my dream kit.

Another thing of note…..I was cruising thru CymbalFusion web page and holy smokes….several of the SQ2 kits they had only a week ago are SOLD OUT. Damn! I mean like 7 different sets they just had in stock very recently. Beech and maple. Poof, gone

Yeah they move quite a bit because the owner Erik gives the best deals of any store when you call him.. ., at least from what I have observed.

Yeah they move quite a bit because the owner Erik gives the best deals of any store when you call him.. ., at least from what I have observed.
Nice.

I was actually in the store about 6 months ago, they had a gretsch die cast hoop 14 I was after, so I just drove over there. Very unassuming looking building from the outside….but fantastic looking inside. Countless high end sets and snares displayed the right way. Friendly people.

You have good drums that you like now. I suspect that you, along with mostly everyone on this forum, enjoys everything about drums: playing them, listening too them, looking at them, talking about them, writing about them, touching them, etc. Sounds like you have enough cash to buy whatever kit will make you the most excited to play it. That's an enviable position. I hope you enjoy the search and end up with drums that are a joy to you every time you play them.

I just got some extra cash from a lawsuit that's been going on for a few years. I still like my Renown but I'd like to get something really nice that's made in America. I play with a 24 bass 13 mounted tom and 16 floor tom but I want to go to two rack toms and two floor toms this time around. I'm leaning towareds a DW kit. I have about $6000 to mess with. Any suggestion on what's the best DW kit?
Assuming you’re in the US, I’d suggest a trip to one of the bigger shops to try out as many sets and manufacturers as possible. Even if you’re sold on DW, you might find something different/unexpected that sounds and feels really special.

Last edited:
Assuming you’re in the Ud, I’d suggest a trip to one of the bigger shops to try out as many sets and manufacturers as possible. Even if you’re sold on DW, you might find something different/unexpected that sounds and feels really special.
Yup - hear them in person if you can. Call ahead and tell them you're coming with cash. A long time ago (1989) I went to Sam Ash with the intent of getting a Noble and Colley snare $500- and walked out with a bronze Black Beauty $250. Had no idea it was bronze - just knew it sounded the best to me.
Still have it.

After much calling around and listening to many videos, I finally ordered a kit. Since I already have a maple kit I wanted something a bit different so I got a Sonor SQ2 with thin birch toms and a medium birch bass drum. My Renown is big sizes so I went with traditional sizes 22x16-10x8-12x9-14x14 and16x16 with this one. Bass drum has mount for toms so I don't have to mess with hanging those rascals. I went full Elvis white sparkle lacquer with black innards. Gonna be awhile but that's OK. I got a nice deal and was able to stay under budget too! I wanted to go made in USA but more than a few salesmen, and drummers, told me that these would be better than any DW I'd be able to put together and that they have better resale value too. So you there you have it. Thanks for the advice and comments.

Back