The Size of Your Kit

DrummerDave518

I just read a craigslist post; it was a drummer looking for a band. He stated he had a 10 piece drum set with 15 cymbals, and additional bells and such, all on a rack.
My first thought was, "In today's day and age, there is absolutely NO NEED for a ten piece kit with 15 cymbals."
My second thought was, "He's going to need 2 hours just to set that thing up!"
My third thought was, "Sound guys are going to HATE HIM."
Which raises the question: in regards to drum sets, how big is too big? Personally, I have a 5 piece kit with high hats, a ride, two crash cymbals, and a splash. 99% of the time I leave the high tom at home, so it's really a four piece, although I do have a double kick pedal.
Thoughts?

I think that the size of the kit is totally up to the drummer because that's what they want. You can sit back and judge them on how impractical it might be but it's THEIR kit not yours.

How big is too big? There's no such thing.

The guy with the monster size kit might say you're compromising when you leave your tom at home. The guy with the 3-4 peice kit might say you have too much. It's all preference, the right size kit is the kit that lets you play how you want to play and make the sounds you want.

Just because you have a 10 piece kit doesn't mean you have to set up all 10 pieces. You can use just a 4 piece kit if you played out. Same with cymbals. Its all just different sounds to play with. Having that much variety in a recording studio is probably fantastic, but the practicality of lugging it around night after night will wear you down.

I have a big kit, but if I wanted to jam with people outside my house, I would pair it back to probably a 4 or 5 piece kit with a couple crashes/ride/hi-hat and maybe 1 effect cymbal (splash/china/stack). Something that I can set up in 15-20 minutes and nit break my back doing it.

He probably hasn't done many gigs, or maybe he has a guy to carry gear on retainer.

All I ever say when contacting or being contacted for possible inclusion in a project is "pro gear" -- i.e. I bring the right tools for the job, and they won't break mid-set. Leave it to me to determine what will be the right size kit to accomplish the task. But at my age, it probably won't be a 10-piece kit any more!

If you want to lug it, set it up and tear it down, then by all means bring it.
There are no rules.

I find that a 4 or 5 piece kit with a mini timbale hanging off of my hat stand for color is more than enough drums for most gigs.
Hats, two crashes, a ride, a splash, and sometimes a china is all that I need for cymbals. A cowbell completes the scene of course :)

I use a 5 piece with 2 cymbals and hats... i can't see the point of getting more until i can actually play the ones i have...

I think that the size of the kit is totally up to the drummer because that's what they want. You can sit back and judge them on how impractical it might be but it's THEIR kit not yours.

This a very nice balanced reply. I think you are totally spot on.
At the same time, anybody who advertises they have 10 of this or 15 of that, is likely using that in the ad to compensate fro something, and would make me suspicious. One never sees an ad "I have two 1959 Les Paul's and full marshall stack". Just 'got gear'.

On that note, did this drummer say he had *transportation*? lol,

I have a limit which is dictated by how much gear I want to hump... the other constraint is how much equipment can fit on the stage. What is usually comes down to (strangely enough) is 1 up 1 down, 4 cymbals and a hi-hat.
The only real flexibility I have is choosing which 4 cymbals.

By strangely enough I mean... what a coincidence! I only have 1 up and 1 down. Plenty of world percussion to add if needed though.

I just read a craigslist post; it was a drummer looking for a band. He stated he had a 10 piece drum set with 15 cymbals, and additional bells and such, all on a rack.
My first thought was, "In today's day and age, there is absolutely NO NEED for a ten piece kit with 15 cymbals."
My second thought was, "He's going to need 2 hours just to set that thing up!"
My third thought was, "Sound guys are going to HATE HIM."
Which raises the question: in regards to drum sets, how big is too big? Personally, I have a 5 piece kit with high hats, a ride, two crash cymbals, and a splash. 99% of the time I leave the high tom at home, so it's really a four piece, although I do have a double kick pedal.
Thoughts?

Well, if that's what he has, and someone wants him to use it all, then that's his prerogative. I remember how Steve Smith said Jean-Luc Ponty wanted him to have a big double bass kit for the tour, and that became his big Journey set he used when he joined Journey the next year. So sometimes the client requires it. I remember Frank Zappa bought TWO Ludwig Octapluses for his drummers and that's what they used.

That said, I always temper what I use by how many trips I have to make back and forth to the truck proportionate to the amount of money being made. So, if it's a little casual gig for $75 (and I've done alot of those), then the 4-piece and two cymbals is what you get ;)

Thoughts?

That you want me to say that you're right and that any other possible avenue for creative choice or expression must be wrong? :)

The guy with the monster size kit might say you're compromising when you leave your tom at home. The guy with the 3-4 peice kit might say you have too much. It's all preference, the right size kit is the kit that lets you play how you want to play and make the sounds you want.

Indeed sir. There's room for everyone......that's the true beauty of musical expression.

I have a limit which is dictated by how much gear I want to hump...

I always temper what I use by how many trips I have to make back and forth to the truck proportionate to the amount of money being made.

Couldn't agree more with you guys.

But to flip the coin, I don't see the point of working myself into a flap because someone sees it differently either. If they wanna lug all that shit halfway around the country side, then more power to them. I couldn't be arsed, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't.

At the heart of it, isn't this just the big kit/small kit debate.........again?
Not that I'm trying to stifle it. Have at it, by all means. But it has been done to death. We didn't get any consensus the last umpteen times we went round the mountain with it. Why should this time be any different?

At the end of the day, play what you like and like what you play. Find your niche. Find what makes you happy and embrace it as creatively and enthusiastically as you can. Just be sure to allow someone else the room to do the same.

One never sees an ad "I have two 1959 Les Paul's and full marshall stack". Just 'got gear'.
Actually, I read CL ads and yes I do read that quite a bit. Normally teen-20 something guitarists looking to impress people with their gear obsession.

I mean, good gear is crucial to good sound, and good sound is crucial to success, so I can understand it.

Quality beats quantity every time though.

Personally, anything over five toms is too much for me, and I have no need for more than one splash, a couple crashes, a ride or two, a set of hats, and one or two more aggressive sounds.. Stack, China, etc. The most I would probably gig with though is a ride, a crash or two, a couple hats, kick, snare, and two toms.

He probably hasn't done many gigs[...]

Upon first glance, this is what I'm thinking. I know that the more I started gigging, the smaller my kit got.

I bring the right tools for the job, and they won't break mid-set. Leave it to me to determine what will be the right size kit to accomplish the task.

Exactly. Could Terry Bozzio get his points across on a 4-piece kit? Probably not. Could Joey Jordison play what was needed for Slipknot on a cocktail kit? Nope. On the flippity flop, I'd feel like a fool carrying around more than hats, ride, and one (maybe two) crash(es) with my 4-piece kit.

Bring the right tools for the job. Let people blow their money on what they want.

No mention was made of musical skills, only equipment owned. Monumental misplaced priorities.

Hire me as your electrician. I work with a 1000 dollar set of linesman pliers.

The above statement is equally as stupid as stating you own a 15 piece kit.

Among many other moronic things, it implies that a 16 piece kit is superior, yet makes no mention of the actual music produced.

Misplaced priorities.

Upon first glance, this is what I'm thinking. I know that the more I started gigging, the smaller my kit got.

Totally agreed man. After doing several gigs, I tried to be as efficient as possible, using just the equipment I need (2 tripods) to get the point across from recordings we've done and new material.

I'll never forget this one low turnout festival where we opened for this Rainbow/Judas priest wannabe act. The drummer had this huge 12 piece kit with tons of cymbals, wood blocks, wind chimes and tubular bells. I watched intently and confirmed that he only used one bass drum, snare, hihat and 2 crashes for the entire show and he was off-time most of the time. I don't judge but I was just left wondering why.

Using the title of the thread, let's make this fun:

Complete the following sentence -

-- The size of your kit is equal to . . . . . . . . . ?

Or, better yet,

-- The size of your kit is inversely proportional to . . . . . . . .?

GeeDeeEmm

(By the way, it's easy for me to complete the first sentence: The size of my kit is equal to the size of my wallet!)

One thing I'd like to add to the consideration is budget. Being a student means I have a very limited amount that I can allow myself to spend on drums and equipment. Out of necessity I have a smaller 4 piece kit, but I try make every purchase count. I only buy approx. 1 thing a year, maybe a new snare or a new cymbal, but I try to get something that's quality and will add to the sounds I already have.

Huge kit at home and never more than a five piece when gigging. Same deal with cymbals.

I currently have 10 12 14 tt and 16 ft. I could see me adding an 8 tt and 18ft eventually, but I'd never play out with all that. It's just nice to have different sounds and tonal colors. My playing out days are pretty much done, so the kit is mainly permanent in my basement/studio. I mainly approach it as a four piece and don't feel obligated to use every piece in every song, but it's there. I think 3 uprights is all I'd ever put up though, so if I wanted a higher register, I'd just swap out some of the drums for smaller ones. While my finish is still offered, I am tempted to get more sizes just to have. As far as cymbals go, I swap rides quite often, and if I had more crashes and chinas, I'd do the same there too.

Do I "need" any of that? Well, not really, but I do like having options for different songs.

No mention was made of musical skills, only equipment owned. Monumental misplaced priorities.

Because it implies that a 16 piece kit is superior.

Misplaced priorities.

Because it implies that a 16 piece kit is superior.

Misplaced priorities.

Hey I heard you the first time ;)

Back