The Ruff

when it gets to a four-stroke Ruff (is that in the beyond the 26?)

you can either play it
rlrL
lrlR
or
rrlR

or maybe if you're weird
llrL
rrlL
llrR

or maybe just take up Flute

some distant relative of Harvey's told me that at Berklee
(former not the latter)

"Now can I put my 1968 book away? thanks.

that 's It ^
I didn't get a Bacherlor's Degree in Applied Music from Berklee in Boston no less; for nuthin' in 75-79

"three stroke" ruff would be played rlR
That’s what I learned yes, but I didn’t do any marching band. There is more than one tradition, so names may vary. I don’t really care but I will check a few books I have to see what they say.
Also not sure what he's doing in the video
You mean Becker?

asked Harvey S. Whistler
he's 242 and doesn't look a day over 198
he wrote the 26 Rudiments in 1968 (actually 1931 but he hates to give away his age)
and left me these
View attachment 143807View attachment 143808View attachment 143809View attachment 143810View attachment 143811

no. 8 Ruff
no. 9 Single Drag
no. 10 Double Drag
no. 12 Single Ratamacue
no. 13 Triple Ratamacue
I started out with 26 in 1960. Then I had to learn 14 more. I like Bruce and Tommy also John Wooton is great on rudiments. I think just go by the number and play it and quit burring brain cells better wasted on beer. Like #30, is it a Flam drag or really a flam diddle? ^RLLR? The LL are 1/16ths not drag grace notes before the last R 1/8. If it were it would just be a single Flam and a single drag. Why isn't 12 the Single Rat the Drag Single Stroke Four? Does anyone know how long the hybrid rudiment list is now? It will Herta your brain thinking about it.

Then I had to learn 14 more
I'd like to 'see' those 14 additional's (I had a sheet) but never paid much attention)
Just the 14 adds I'd like to see

I believe the first time I ever heard the word "ruff" used in reference to a double followed by a single was in John Ramsay's book, The Complete Drummer's Vocabulary as taught by Alan Dawson.

At first I thought maybe it was some sort of mistake, but after some digging, I discovered that "ruff" is indeed the word used on the NARD list of The Thirteen Essential Rudiments.

Still...I personally use the word "drag" for that pattern, and I reserve the word "ruff" for singles, but clearly there is not unanimous agreement on this.

That’s what I learned yes, but I didn’t do any marching band. There is more than one tradition, so names may vary. I don’t really care but I will check a few books I have to see what they say.

That's just unusual, I've never seen that, except on instruments that don't normally use double strokes-- timpani, mallets, etc.

You mean Becker?

Yes, the Becker video. It's fine, it's just not my idea of a classically correct ruff.

yeah wish I wouldn't a saw em :D thanks
I knew I didn't look at them too closely for a reason,.

yeah wish I wouldn't a saw em :D thanks
IKWYM!! Back when I learned them there were only 26. I was pretty surprised to find out more had been added (when I got back into drumming 15 years ago). Made me feel like, "Oh great, guess I don't know my rudiments."

And the 40 don't even include the Hybrid rudiments!
😩

Reactions: jda
I'd like to 'see' those 14 additional's (I had a sheet) but never paid much attention)
Just the 14 adds I'd like to see
Ok I'll dig that out. I just had the discussion elsewhere a month or two ago. I think we were talking about the old Wilcoxon books. I was surprised myself on the old organization. I still have my old books. I don't remember off hand now but it was not just tacked on it was reorganized as well. I had a bet on but I had to go through the PAS list and compare back. I think my original book was Alfred or Ramsey. Blue cover.

Back