THE DRUM MODIFICATION THREAD.

Jasta 11

My band gigs a lot and it gets old setting up and tearing down, loading in and loading out, 3 or 4 nights a week so i have been thinking about how to do it with a smaller foot print ( less cymbal stands/less stage space) and lighter to carry. I was going to buy a "travel" kit or something like that but i realized, I have a ton of drums already ( a 12 piece and a 9 piece kit as well as some extra drums) so the first option was to convert a floor tom which i did. Now that is getting old too, the depth being 16 inches can take up valuable floor/stage space. SOOOOO, i decided to cut some drums on my table saw. I took a huge chance not knowing what they would sound like. The first pic without a bass reso was just to see what I had after cutting. I bought new bass lugs and used the existing holes. The next pic is at the first gig recently, now i eliminated the cymbal stand and have a small boom arm in the second tom hole. I also use a cymbal stacker arm on the ride. Last pic to give a little perspective, the bass is only 22X8. The sound is amazing, i feel like i got lucky.20190807_164148.jpg20190815_161316.jpg20190816_113830.jpg

roncadillac

My band gigs a lot and it gets old setting up and tearing down, loading in and loading out, 3 or 4 nights a week so i have been thinking about how to do it with a smaller foot print ( less cymbal stands/less stage space) and lighter to carry. I was going to buy a "travel" kit or something like that but i realized, I have a ton of drums already ( a 12 piece and a 9 piece kit as well as some extra drums) so the first option was to convert a floor tom which i did. Now that is getting old too, the depth being 16 inches can take up valuable floor/stage space. SOOOOO, i decided to cut some drums on my table saw. I took a huge chance not knowing what they would sound like. The first pic without a bass reso was just to see what I had after cutting. I bought new bass lugs and used the existing holes. The next pic is at the first gig recently, now i eliminated the cymbal stand and have a small boom arm in the second tom hole. I also use a cymbal stacker arm on the ride. Last pic to give a little perspective, the bass is only 22X8. The sound is amazing, i feel like i got lucky.View attachment 87011View attachment 87012View attachment 87013
I've done exactly that for years. Always wanted a Pacific chameleon kit but could never find one, then Tama came out with the Club Jam Mini and I jumped right on it. But before that I've been playing (and loving) shallow cut drums.

travelin'light

My band gigs a lot and it gets old setting up and tearing down, loading in and loading out, 3 or 4 nights a week so i have been thinking about how to do it with a smaller foot print ( less cymbal stands/less stage space) and lighter to carry. I was going to buy a "travel" kit or something like that but i realized, I have a ton of drums already ( a 12 piece and a 9 piece kit as well as some extra drums) so the first option was to convert a floor tom which i did. Now that is getting old too, the depth being 16 inches can take up valuable floor/stage space. SOOOOO, i decided to cut some drums on my table saw. I took a huge chance not knowing what they would sound like. The first pic without a bass reso was just to see what I had after cutting. I bought new bass lugs and used the existing holes. The next pic is at the first gig recently, now i eliminated the cymbal stand and have a small boom arm in the second tom hole. I also use a cymbal stacker arm on the ride. Last pic to give a little perspective, the bass is only 22X8. The sound is amazing, i feel like i got lucky.View attachment 87011View attachment 87012View attachment 87013
Great work! Your cut down drums looks like an expensive bop kit you'd see in the shops.

Quick question for the OP or anyone who knows...I also just recently converted a 16x16 floor tom to bass drum, and when mic'd and EQ'd it sounds impressive. Now I'm wondering how a cut-down kick drum, say 20x6, would compare? What's the difference? Is it worth it? Or should I just stick with the converted floor tom?

I'm a drummer living and working in the Tokyo area, so anyway I can lighten my load for train travel is a plus.