The Drum Doctor: It Makes It So Much Easier on the Drummer

Scott K Fish

Silver Member
The Drum Doctor: It Makes It So Much Easier on the Drummer

SKF NOTE: Ross Garfield is a name new to me. What he does for a living at The Drum Doctors is unique and creative. Thank you, Bryan Menegus for bringing us this story.

This Legend Owns the Drums Heard on Almost Every Major Album in the Last 20 Years
Bryan Menegus
Thursday 1:02pmFiled to: DR. SOUNDGOOD

Ross Garfield is the farthest thing from a household name. But if you’ve even listened to Nirvana’s Nevermind, Metallica’s black album, Michael Jackson’s Bad, Blood Sugar Sex Magik by the Red Hot Chili Peppers or dozens of other seminal records from big-name artists, you’re already familiar with his work.

Garfield is the drum doctor.... [H]e’s...responsible for modifying, tuning and assembling the kits to fit each drummer’s sound.

Click Here to Watch a 5-Minute Video on Ross Garfield

Full Story

Scott K Fish Blog: Life Beyond the Cymbals

I met Ross around 1980 when he worked behind the counter at Action Music in Granada Hills (CA) and I recall he was passionate about drums even then, it wasn't just a 'day job' for him. Since then, he's become the go-to guy in town for rentals, teching etc. I feel sort of bad that I might be the only pro in town who hasn't used his services, I always handle my gear for sessions and TV.

A side note about Action Music - they gave lessons there, and one of the teachers was Gregg Bissonette! We were introduced there in 1984, just before he hooked up with David Lee Roth!

Bermuda

We've got Al Schneider who used to be a drum roadie for Larry London and Jim Keltner up up here at Gelb in the bay area also using Drum Doctor.

Unfortunately, the techie hipsters are blowing up the area in terms of drum shops because of the horrendous rent increases .

Over the past 4 or 5 years we've lost about 5 drum shops due to the rent increases (Adato,Lemmon,Drum World,San Jose Pro,California Percussion).

Only one shop left ,and they are mostly collector stuff (A Drummer’s Tradition).

Kind of sucks.

We've got Al Schneider who used to be a drum roadie for Larry London and Jim Keltner up up here at Gelb in the bay area also using Drum Doctor.

Unfortunately, the techie hipsters are blowing up the area in terms of drum shops because of the horrendous rent increases .

Over the past 4 or 5 years we've lost about 5 drum shops due to the rent increases (Adato,Lemmon,Drum World,San Jose Pro,California Percussion).

Only one shop left ,and they are mostly collector stuff (A Drummer’s Tradition).

Kind of sucks.

Dubs drum shop in Dublin just opened a cpurple of weeks ago. Bought a Giant Beat 18 multi from Darren. Nice shop, good selection.

Last edited:
Dubs drum shop in Dublin just opened a cpurple of weeks ago. Bought a Giant Beat 18 multi from Darren. Nice shop, good selection.

Thanks .
Will check it out soon.

Yes, thanks, didn't know about it and will definitely check it out.

what a GREAT job Ross has, and what an incredible arsenal.
I kept wondering about the business perspective. So these drums are in a warehouse until needed right? Does their use really pay the rent? And in a time of digital sounds, are they not being requested less and less. I hope not, but wonder.

Kind of sucks.

Well, Los Angeles is supposed to be on the music capitols, and yet there is only one drum shop, Pro Drum.

Several have come and gone, few survive.

Anyhow, I used to work at Drum World back when it was still in San Francisco in the late 80's/early 90's.

Well, Los Angeles is supposed to be on the music capitols, and yet there is only one drum shop, Pro Drum.

Several have come and gone, few survive.

Anyhow, I used to work at Drum World back when it was still in San Francisco in the late 80's/early 90's.

You would think that ,but Craigslist up here seems to have a lot more robust variety of drum stuff than LA or Orange county.

So you worked with Gene and Don?

Bought many a do dad from them.

The best ride cymbal I ever owned was a 22 inch Zildjian A that was purchased there.

You would think that ,but Craigslist up here seems to have a lot more robust variety of drum stuff than LA or Orange county.

So you worked with Gene and Don?

Bought many a do dad from them.

The best ride cymbal I ever owned was a 22 inch Zildjian A that was purchased there.

Yes I did indeed.

I still talk to Gene now and then.

Just came back from a visit.
Seems like a good start for a new drum place.
Good selection of new snares and cymbals.

Dubs is going have some competition as GC is opening a store in Dublin in November.

Back