The Amazing Intermediate Kits

Andy, I was surprised to see you posting in a thread about intermediate kits... Then I saw you were just chatting with Stix.

How about the Yamaha Stage Custom? My Stage Custom 4 piece is a real workhorse of a kit. I just with this 12" rack tom would grow a little if I fed it...

Andy, I was surprised to see you posting in a thread about intermediate kits... Then I saw you were just chatting with Stix.

How about the Yamaha Stage Custom? My Stage Custom 4 piece is a real workhorse of a kit. I just with this 12" rack tom would grow a little if I fed it...
You will find Andy in the " Too heavy to carry buy yourself kits" thread. :p

Anyone checked out Yamaha's Rock Tour kit?

I currently am playing on one, and it's killer!!
I get so many compliments from other drummers and sound guys at gigs on how it sounds miced up, and I get a LOT of compliments from everyone on the finish...

Ash over Mahogany shells :)

a 4pc kit with snare is about $900

RockTour.jpg

You will find Andy in the " Too heavy to carry by yourself kits" thread. :p
I've corrected your post as you intended it to read, so it's funny, almost :)

As a point of clarification, even my prototype kit isn't that heavy, but I admit, it is a touch more than most. Our new development kit however is super light, in fact, about half the weight of a saturn, thus making it slightly lighter than Uranus;) ;) ;)

I've corrected your post as you intended it to read, so it's funny, almost :)

As a point of clarification, even my prototype kit isn't that heavy, but I admit, it is a touch more than most. Our new development kit however is super light, in fact, about half the weight of a saturn, thus making it slightly lighter than Uranus;) ;) ;)
Damn my spelling. :( English was never my strong suit. The one site that I got banned from, the owner of it told me to always read over my posts a couple of times to make sure I really want to send it. Guess I forgot this time. :)

Gretsch Renown. probably one of the better maple kits for being intermediate.

You're a very naughty boy Andy.... ;-))

I read somewheres on here that the meridian maple and sonor 3007 are made in the same factory. I'm assuming the shells are quite alike.
You are quite right. KHS makes shells for both companies.

Just ask Audiotech. He will tell you. :(

Haha. Well, he doesn't like Pearl either.

Actually if you think about it... you two are kinda similar..
You only like the kits you own!!! ;)

You got away with that because you placed awesome in the same sentence as Saturn ;)

Even though not quite up to modern intermediate kit standards, I still reckon the Pearl Export series was the most impressive game changing kit in recent drum history.

Haha.
I agree, I think Pearl Exports are pretty awesome too.

And since you corrected Styx, I corrected you. :p lol

Cheers!

Gretsch Renown. probably one of the better maple kits for being intermediate.

Ok. Now I gotta ask:

What do you guys understand by intermediate???

Intermediate price?
Everything that's below the "flagship" company kit?
Anything that's not made in USA or Japan?

Because I don't consider Renowns to be intermediate. By no means

Those drums feature American Maple shells, diecast hoops, 10-lug bass drums, 8-lug floor toms, 10-lug snares... same GTS mounts that USA Customs, same "silver sealer"...

So what is it? They're intermediate just `cause they're made in China???

To me, Renowns are pro kits.

I consider intermediate features:

- good tone woods like birch or maple, not poplar or basswood, but lower grade woods (asian maple instead of american)
- lacquered finishes
- 8-lug bass drums and snares instead of 10
- Lower grade hardware, flimsy hoops
- Lower grade heads from factory (like Remo UX, UT..)
- etc.

So what's you opinion??

Well, I'll win some of the Mapex fan club here by saying the Saturns should be considered a pro kit, even though it isn't Mapex's top-of-the-line, and does not qualify as an intermediate kit. I owned a Pro M kit for a brief period and thought the shells and tone were terrific. Very warm drums. The finish was nice for that pricepoint but the lugs, rims, and mounts seemed like junk. Glad I didn't keep that kit for the later years. Looks like they've addressed the Pro M's shortfalls with the Meridan replacement line.

Just buy a stinking kit already. This isn't like buying a house. :) I like lots of kits but you asked. Seemed like an easy decision to me. I would already be setting it up by now.

Well, I'll win some of the Mapex fan club here by saying the Saturns should be considered a pro kit, even though it isn't Mapex's top-of-the-line, and does not qualify as an intermediate kit. I owned a Pro M kit for a brief period and thought the shells and tone were terrific. Very warm drums. The finish was nice for that pricepoint but the lugs, rims, and mounts seemed like junk. Glad I didn't keep that kit for the later years. Looks like they've addressed the Pro M's shortfalls with the Meridan replacement line.

Don't worry. Everyone except Audiotech and Doc are clear on this point, and luckily I don't have to argue with Doc anymore. :)

Back