Tama Starclassic Walnut Birch Snare v Performer snares

Merlin5

Gold Member
Hi all. I love the sound of this Walnut and Birch snare, particularly in the 14 x 5.5. At about 1:40 on this video, his medium and high tuning sound perfect.

So I'm thinking of buying one. I just wondered what the thoughts are of the Performer snares compared to the Walnut Birch snare? Would you say just go with the Walnut Birch and perhaps the Performer snares won't sound quite as good as they're a slightly less expensive drum?

Sounds really good.. . I see on the Tama site they use the same strainer and obviously both have die cast so just the shell makeup is different afaik. The one in the vid is European Birch and American Walnut, where as the Performer is Asian Birch and Maple. The W/B is $420 and the Performer is $360 so not so huge a difference. I think the Performer would come close enough but for $60 difference you ought to just go for it.

These are great snares but if I were you I would check out the DW Design as it is North American Maple and has a thicker shell then both Tama's and a superior strainer for $300. .. It is really hard to beat for the money and I would put it up against most Collectors Maple snares.

Sounds really good.. . I see on the Tama site they use the same strainer and obviously both have die cast so just the shell makeup is different afaik. The one in the vid is European Birch and American Walnut, where as the Performer is Asian Birch and Maple. The W/B is $420 and the Performer is $360 so not so huge a difference. I think the Performer would come close enough but for $60 difference you ought to just go for it.

These are great snares but if I were you I would check out the DW Design as it is North American Maple and has a thicker shell then both Tama's and a superior strainer for $300. .. It is really hard to beat for the money and I would put it up against most Collectors Maple snares.

Thanks, that's great info. 👍 I'll go for the Walnut Birch. Never really took to the look of DW drums to be honest, plus the design series seems to have triple flange hoops and I prefer die cast. I saw this Tama Walnut Birch on youtube and the turquoise wrap is amazing! I just wish I could find one in turquoise in the UK.

Just call Thomann and order it... they should be able to get it from Tama soon enough.

It's a good idea, I'll message them. Looking at their website, they have thirteen Walnut Birch snares in all colours including the turquoise but they're all 14 x 6.5" they don't have a single 5.5" deep.

Well I got a reply from Thomann which is cool.
They said they can get me the turquoise pearl in about 3 weeks. I since found one elsewhere for cheaper and available immediately. However, now I'm thinking I might prefer a shiny lacquered wood finish! I like the Ocean Blue Ripple and I've emailed them again to see if they could get me that in 5.5" deep. I'm still somewhat undecided. Love to get opinions from people. I feel I am leaning much more now towards the blue.

This gorgeous turquoise wrap:

Or this equally gorgeous Ocean Blue Ripple lacquered finish?

Last edited:
Man they sound absolutely great. I had a Birch/Bubinga Starclassic 14x5.5 snare and it was honkingly bad. Zero tuning-range but it was sure loud. Couldn't sell it quick enough.

Man they sound absolutely great. I had a Birch/Bubinga Starclassic 14x5.5 snare and it was honkingly bad. Zero tuning-range but it was sure loud. Couldn't sell it quick enough.

Interesting. The Walnut Birch is 2 ply of Walnut and 4 ply of Birch. Was yours 2 ply of Bubinga and 4 ply of Birch? If so, I didn't really think 2 ply of an exotic wood alongside 4 ply of Birch or Maple would make such a significant difference but it seems it does.

Well I got a reply from Thomann which is cool.
They said they can get me the turquoise pearl in about 3 weeks. I since found one elsewhere for cheaper and available immediately. However, now I'm thinking I might prefer a shiny lacquered wood finish! I like the Ocean Blue Ripple and I've emailed them again to see if they could get me that in 5.5" deep. I'm still somewhat undecided. Love to get opinions from people. I feel I am leaning much more now towards the blue.

Lacquer always looks more expensive than a plastic wrap IMO.

Yay, I just bought one in Ocean Blue Ripple! The only place that had one in 14 x 5.5" was a german shop on ebay. Wasn't Thomann in the end. They were very helpful too and would have got one from the supplier but it would have cost me more to buy and taken a bit longer to arrive. The shop on ebay has the biggest selection readily available. I messaged the shop asking about the 14 x 5.5" deep as they had only listed the 14 x 6.5" in the colour I wanted, and an hour later it appeared on their listing so I bought it! Arriving between 30th May and 6th June from Germany to UK. Can't wait. :love:

I've had tracking from UPS for several days that the snare drum will arrive tomorrow. Then this morning there's an update on the tracking page saying there's an import charge to be paid of £83!

"Online payments can be made anytime up to 30 minutes prior to delivery. If you choose to pay your import fees online, we recommend saving a copy of your receipt to show the driver.Your driver also accepts limited payment methods in person upon delivery."

I already paid £358 for the drum and now it'll be £441. It's coming from an eBay shop in Germany and I don't see any mention of possible import charges on their listings or on my order page. It's kind of put me off and I'm not sure I want to pay the charge. Does £441 seem reasonable for the snare drum or excessive? Has anyone here been unexpectedly hit with import charges on purchases they've made? Pity we left the EU as then no import charge would be needed.

Last edited:
Import charges on most things coming in from Europe. The seller doesn't have to mention it because it's not actually anything to do with them. It's our (UK) government who add it upon arrival.
Unfortunately you don't really have any choice but to pay it - the seller is not obliged to refund you just because you don't want to pay the import charge. They will refund your purchase under consumer law but you have to receive the item and then send it back.
And then you will be out the import charge and the return carriage costs ( unless they offered free returns).

Import charges on most things coming in from Europe. The seller doesn't have to mention it because it's not actually anything to do with them. It's our (UK) government who add it upon arrival.
Unfortunately you don't really have any choice but to pay it - the seller is not obliged to refund you just because you don't want to pay the import charge. They will refund your purchase under consumer law but you have to receive the item and then send it back.
And then you will be out the import charge and the return carriage costs ( unless they offered free returns).

Thanks Keef. Yeah, it mentions buyer pays return costs. I should have assumed import costs anyway since we're now out of the EU.

I'm sure you're correct about the seller not needing to mention import costs although to be honest, I've usually seen advisories about possible customs and import charges on listings from a lot of sellers on different selling platforms. But never mind, I emailed Thomann today and they offered the same for £397 which saves me £44. I got all excited and then read delivery in 7 to 9 months! But given that I'd have to pay return costs if I got a refund, I'd have been no better off buying from Thomann even if they delivered quickly.

So I've paid the import charge as there's absolutely no other place to buy this snare drum in this size and colour. Well, extra costs it is, but still, I'm excited to get it tomorrow!

The unexpected cost is a huge bummer but I can almost promise you’ll be impressed with the quality. As long as you like the sound, it will be worth it in the long run.

The unexpected cost is a huge bummer but I can almost promise you’ll be impressed with the quality. As long as you like the sound, it will be worth it in the long run.

I hope so. Aluminium and brass are my favourite and I went off wood snares. I used to love my 3 ply Sakae Trilogy snare, it was my go to for years. Beautiful snare, purrs like no other with double stroke rolls, very smooth tone, but I got bored of it. I've had a love hate relationship with my Gretsch 10 ply silver series. It sounds great but I rarely enjoy it on gigs. The Tama is 6 ply which is in between the other two and I have a feeling I'll like it.

Thanks Keef. Yeah, it mentions buyer pays return costs. I should have assumed import costs anyway since we're now out of the EU.

I'm sure you're correct about the seller not needing to mention import costs although to be honest, I've usually seen advisories about possible customs and import charges on listings from a lot of sellers on different selling platforms. But never mind, I emailed Thomann today and they offered the same for £397 which saves me £44. I got all excited and then read delivery in 7 to 9 months! But given that I'd have to pay return costs if I got a refund, I'd have been no better off buying from Thomann even if they delivered quickly.

So I've paid the import charge as there's absolutely no other place to buy this snare drum in this size and colour. Well, extra costs it is, but still, I'm excited to get it tomorrow.
I've no doubt you'll love the drum mate - I've been on Tama for years and cannot fault any part of anything I've had from them.
To get the exact size and finish you want without waiting forever is worth a few extra quid I reckon;)

I've no doubt you'll love the drum mate - I've been on Tama for years and cannot fault any part of anything I've had from them.
To get the exact size and finish you want without waiting forever is worth a few extra quid I reckon;)

That's very true, Keef!

Good call on the color. Tama’s lacquers are amazing. Post pics when you get it!

Here we go then. :) Arrived this morning. I've taken the reso head up to 400hz and batter up to 323hz which is about medium to medium high. Sounds great! I'll gig it tonight and see how I get on. Stunning looking though. And biggest drum key I've ever seen!

20240606_111955.jpg20240606_112413.jpg
20240606_121405.jpg20240606_121435.jpg20240606_113918.jpg20240606_114059.jpg
20240606_121813.jpg

Back