Tama Starclassic VS Sonor SQ2 Series

As others have said, the SQ2 are amazing drums, but make sure you've got the money to spend on them, and that they will be 100% what you want. Either way you can't go wrong, but the SQ2's are a whole division up.

Those images of the Brady are distressing. I (like most of us) have recently read about some rumblings happening at the company, and this might offer a reason as to why.

What a shame it is to see this. And what a crime it is to so carelessly damage a name so often associated with fine, handcrafted instruments.

So I'm wondering what this person ever did. Did he get a kit at all?

I like the SQ2's, but coming up with your own combinations of woods, hardware....jeez....you could take months figuring out what you want, and then what if it didn't sound good when you got it nine months later? Some people at Pearl were saying the same thing about their Masterworks line - you get "paralysis by analysis" - the choices are so great, you choose a standard line instead! And of course, there's the expense = definitely not going to be cheap.

I think he went with the Tamas.

BENTLY
BENTLY
BENTLY
BENTLY

not played the SQ2 but have played the s-classics (ithink thats the one)
but i loved sadly not enuf money to buy one but go with either sonor or mapex fopr a kit you just cant go rong..

Actually It's Bentley.....

I'd get the Starclassics, but both Sonor and Tama are go-to manufacturers for me. If you have the money for an SQ2, why not get a Guru instead?

Here comes another car metaphor....
Starclassics = Cadillac
SQ2 = Bently

I was thinking
Sonor=German=Mercedes
TAMA=Japan=Lexus.

Just remember that while the Germans are all about performance, it was the Japanese that came up with cup holders. :)

I'm partial to Sonor cause of the durability as well as the quality and sound. Buy what you like best. ;-)

I would love to own a sonor. Just three shells and maybe some snare drums but I can get stave a few stave drum sets for the price of one sq2. I currently own a tama bb that I love and plan to get a few more kits in future. Def a gretsch renown ane a sonor. As well as a stave set. My snare will be done in a few weeks. Different options. Do I need four kits? No. But I like options. And I won't be able to stick with one brand. I am a sabian wh●re but I have begun experimenting with byzance meinl and I don't want to get into bosphorus. I would say take the money for the sq2 and buy a tama and a used sq2. Two kits...

If I were to spend over 5 grand on a kit, it might very well be Tama Star.

I wonder what car they would be?

Back