Switching quickly from brushes to sticks (and back again)

vyacheslav

Greetings,

I play a lot of jazz in lounge/restaurant type atmospheres where the band is "wallpaper" to people eating and talking. I play thin cymbals and use thin sticks, so I don't have a problem playing softly nor am I "holding back" from my normal playing motion/style.

I do use a lot of brushes on these gigs (typically the first time through the melody and then during the bass solo or trading). I'll use sticks during the piano and horn solos for the most part. I will sometimes use sticks for the entire tune. I have to do a lot of "quick change" acts between brushes and sticks. I use a clamp on stick holder all the way to the right of my floor tom (off a cymbal stand) for easy stick access, but brushes at full spread really don't fit very easily. (I use the "On Stage" clamp on stick holder that's a soft, neoprene "bag". I like it because it's easy to fold up and toss in my cymbal bag accessory pocket).

For these quick changes, I have sticks ready to go on the floor tom before we start the tune, and I just toss my brushes to the floor to my left near my hi-hat when I'm ready to pick up the sticks. When I need the brushes again, I have to lean over and pick them up off the floor with my left hand, while keeping my hi-hat and right hand going. I keep thinking "there has to be a better way to do this". I can't really put the brushes on the floor tom obviously. Putting brushes at full spread in any kind of stick holder/stick bag would require them to be put in handle side first (so the wires are sticking out up top). That would necessitate flipping the brush around in my hand both prior to and after taking it in/out of the stick holder/bag. So my question to the fine folks here is:

Where do you keep your (fully spread) brushes and sticks for quick changes?

I know I have seen a "Drummer's Palette" plastic accessory tray that clamps onto the rim of the floor tom/snare drum that keeps the tray level at the approximate height of the rim (see images below). I don't know if I like that idea. I don't like anything hanging off of my drums (I don't hang a stick bag off the floor tom for this reason), I just don't like how it looks aesthetically, and it slightly decreases the "playing area" of the drum although it's a good idea. But at nearly $50 on Amazon..............

I just picked up a Peter Erskine Free Standing Stick Bag (the original Yamaha version) with the "tabletop", so I might try that, although that takes up precious floor space.

Let me anticipate a few questions from the group:

1. Why don't you keep your sticks in the stick holder instead of on your floor tom for the quick change?

A fair point, but depending on the room, how full it is etc. I like to keep about 4 different pairs of sticks for small sonic choices (slightly different weights, different tips etc.). In the change over from brushes to sticks I only have a few seconds, and grabbing a matching pair, even if they are labeled, during those few seconds would be very tricky.

2. Why don't you just keep your brushes and a pair of sticks on top of your bass drum?

Another fair point, but I don't like doing this because:

1. They rattle while playing. Maybe no big deal in a loud stage environment, but it is a definite issue in a small restaurant at low volumes.
2. The constant rattling and picking up/putting down can damage the finish of the drum over time (I've seen it happen)

What say you, wise drummer family?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 9
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 9
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    240.5 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
The Drummer's Palette can also hook onto the tension rods of any drum, so it's not in the way at all. Easy on, easy off. That's what I use, hooked onto my FT. You could hook it onto the snare if you want. I also have the Erskine stick bag to my left for my iPad/setlist.

IMG_4139_sm.jpg

Hold the sticks in your mouth...

If you aren't willing to make concessions with your stick selection or putting things on your drums a shelf of some sort, or a stick bag is the way to go.

Here is a vid a Jerry Granelli switching during a song:

1) you don’t need that many “extra” pairs of sticks at the ready. If it’s a low key gig just play it with one pair of sticks. It will be fine.
2) don’t be too set in your ways about play the first chorus with brushes and then picking up the sticks etc. this is boring. Break out of that habit. Play the music not a preconceived notion of what it is. Trying playing an entire song with sticks. Even the bass solo!! Or play with only brushes. Be more creative.
3) get over the sticks on the bass drum. No one will ever hear the “rattling” if there is any. The sticks won’t scratch your finish.
4) switching back and forth takes practice. There’s choreography involved. One thing that can help is keeping the left hand sweep going while you pick up your ride stick. Putting down your snare stick while keeping the ride going is the reverse. In other words one stick at a time.
5) hihat splashes can give you a couple of beats to switch.
6) put the sticks under your armpit when you are playing brushes for short periods.
7) balance the brushes on the rim of the floor Tom. Watch Al Foster videos for an example.

1) you don’t need that many “extra” pairs of sticks at the ready. If it’s a low key gig just play it with one pair of sticks. It will be fine.
2) don’t be too set in your ways about play the first chorus with brushes and then picking up the sticks etc. this is boring. Break out of that habit. Play the music not a preconceived notion of what it is. Trying playing an entire song with sticks. Even the bass solo!! Or play with only brushes. Be more creative.
3) get over the sticks on the bass drum. No one will ever hear the “rattling” if there is any. The sticks won’t scratch your finish.
4) switching back and forth takes practice. There’s choreography involved. One thing that can help is keeping the left hand sweep going while you pick up your ride stick. Putting down your snare stick while keeping the ride going is the reverse. In other words one stick at a time.
6) put the sticks under your armpit when you are playing brushes for short periods.
7) balance the brushes on the rim of the floor Tom. Watch Al Foster videos for an example.

Thanks for the tips. I do all or most of those things anyway. I always approach the music differently based on what it needs, I don't follow the same "formula" for every song (I didn't mean to imply that). Some nights if the crowd is livelier, I'll barely use the brushes. I do like to have a few choices of sticks at the ready though. When playing thin cymbals delicately, you would be amazed at what a slightly different tip shape and or weight taper will do to the cymbal. It sounds like a different cymbal!

The hi hat splash trick is one I use frequently. I definitely have fun and have my own "Style" for switching back and forth. I'm just trying to make it a little easier. I always play from my soul. I just want to look less awkward when I go to pick up the brushes!

When playing thin cymbals delicately, you would be amazed at what a slightly different tip shape and or weight taper will do to the cymbal. It sounds like a different cymbal!

Oh we know. The audience doesn't know the difference or care.

When I need to play a song with brushes and I need to use wood sticks for only part of the same song (like the middle of the song), I use brushes with wooden handles.
Playing while holding the brush end of the stick feels a little odd, but it works for part of the song. I just hold the wood part of the handle. It's like playing with a very short wood stick.

I just put the pair I don´t need on the floor tom. The brushes rest on top of the rim with both ends so they don´t touch the head, the sticks like in Heartbeat´s picture above, but a bit more off-center. That way, I can still play the floor tom.

This technique is pretty much what Jeff Hamilton uses too. I asked him at a clinic once how one switches from sticks to brushes.

I adopted his technique as it seemed to make sense to me. His first response was, "Get some good insurance!" because the technique involved tucking one or both sticks under your thigh, butt end sticking out ready to grab. The other stick, if not placed very carefully under yourself, can rest on the floor tom.

However, when not in use, the brushes simply layed on the floor tom.

You can probably find some videos of Jeff doing this if you search Clayton-Hamilton, Diana Krall, Ray Brown, etc.

Last edited:
Back