SUVs for gigging? I'm considering a vehicle change.

The myopic viewpoints here regarding EVs are equally as disappointing as those of AI.
Hey hey don't you go all Chris Whitten on us...myopic, really, because we can't do research? Or your opinion is the only valid one? I have you know that I have the privilege of working with some of the smartest people in the planet, I surely trust their opinions more than those of some people here.

There are also a lot of videos showing Tesla owners basically having to get rid of their cars because Tesla wants ridiculous money to repair simple things that should be covered.

this actually happened to the guitar player of one of my bands. About a year in, he got rid of it because of the cost of repairs. He can afford to have any car he wants, but went with a new Honda Civic....

I'm replying to multiple people.
You thought you'd need a new battery in 15 years.
I just stated a simple desire IF I were to have an electric vehicle. Nothing more. There are other desires, and yes, expense is the major obstacle. The most I've spent on a car purchase is about $12,000.

If you gigged within a 200 mile area an EV would be a significant cost saving. Mine has virtually no maintenance costs. I charge it overnight at my house and could reduce my costs to almost zero if I had solar.
Yes, it can be a hassle finding charging, especially in the middle of the night when you don't want to waste time, if traveling long distances to gig.

Love my Volvo XC60. Not too big but plenty of cargo room with flat folding seats. I can fit even bigger configurations with smart packing. Only knock is the lift gate height is higher than my wife’s SUV. Perfect compromise between SUV and sport sedan. Not made for towing though. IMG_1039.jpeg

If you gigged within a 200 mile area an EV would be a significant cost saving. Mine has virtually no maintenance costs. I charge it overnight at my house and could reduce my costs to almost zero if I had solar.
Yes, it can be a hassle finding charging, especially in the middle of the night when you don't want to waste time, if traveling long distances to gig.

I was trying to say that I'm a cheap car guy. But that 12k truck was in 23 years ago which was well before electrics became common.
As I said about when i worked on the road locally driving to jobsites in adjoining counties, I could've easily done it with an electric. I did the calcs and considered it. Instead I drove cheap used cars to their early retirement and banked the mileage reimbursements to spend on collecting.

My current daily driver vehicle cost was $500. Just five hundred. My previous Equinox was 2500 before being totaled. Prior to that was a Civic at about 4k owned for about 10 years.
I'm a cheap car guy.

I'm so frugal that I'll shop the junkyard for good used tires. Been doing that for 10 years. I've bought 2 daily driver SUVs at a junkyard that I used for work travel. A 4Runner for 1300 and an Explorer with 214k miles for 2k. Good vehicles. 1 sold, 1 totaled. I made a couple thousand on their value from the sale and insurance.

Last edited:
Reactions: A J
Love my Volvo XC60. Not too big but plenty of cargo room with flat folding seats. I can fit even bigger configurations with smart packing. Only knock is the lift gate height is higher than my wife’s SUV. Perfect compromise between SUV and sport sedan. Not made for towing though. View attachment 135834
I love those. Are some years for maintenance better others ? I'm kind of in the less computerized crap/ the better camp. But if I ever move away from Japanese, I could see one of these.

I love those. Are some years for maintenance better others ? I'm kind of in the less computerized crap/ the better camp. But if I ever move away from Japanese, I could see one of these.
Not sure about maintenance. Mine is a 2019 and while I’ve never had any serious problems with it at all, dealer routine maintenance is pricey.

I haven't darkened the door of a car dealer for many years. Here are some observations from my visit:

- The dealer had very little inventory in stock. Their huge, indoor facility was virtually empty.
- They were air conditioning a building the size of a Walmart super center and there's literally a handful of desks inside. All the desks are in cubicles positioned fairly close to one another. Whenever I was at the salesman's cubicle, the employee in the adjacent cubicle was always standing and appeared to be listening in. Weird.
- Car salesmen haven't changed a bit. They're still as annoying as ever. For anyone on this site who is actually a car salesman, my intent is not to offend. I worked inside sales for almost 4 years. My style and demeanor in sales was much different than anything I've seen from car salesmen. I find them to be pushy, "aggressively friendly" and socially awkward.
- They no longer have printed brochures and spec sheets. My salesman literally wrote everything for me on two yellow sticky tabs.

Last edited:
I have a Durango. Plenty of space even with the 2nd row up. Lower both rows and you could fit an entire band's gear. Height is good for getting stuff in and out. Not too high and not too low. Easy to drive too.

Back