Steve Smith

OP video sounds like heavy Gadd influence, big phonic kit definitely have Billy Cobham/Simon Phillips vibes, of course later years lots Buddy. He can completely play the history of the set, when left foot clave was the big trend he was doing that. Underneath it all is some Jack DeJohnette undertones in alot of concepts and of course the Tony stuff that almost everyone stole. Then he got into Indian, particularly south Indian rhythmic concepts. But also begs to ask, who is Steve because he tends to play trends or imitate very well. Some of the early Journey stuff pretty amazing and by the 2000s he became a technique guru and in the end it still sounds very much him, no matter the influence or imitation at that time. I thought he stole the show in the Burning for Buddy take that sounded like 'Steve Smith' and not an impersonation of anyone else...just a very complete performance that understands the tradition and hints at his bop concepts, killer technique and just fresh idea phrasings and insane forward momentum on that groove...would definitely listen to this track over any Buddy version. A unique drum journey (pun) for sure, I can't think of a more well rounded player honestly.

I know three world class, well-known players who feel that Gruber screwed those people up.

No, I’m not gonna say their names but they are known, high level drummers and teachers.

Steve Smith got fired from Journey because he (self admittedly) couldn't play to a click

the "mojo" and "testosterone" probably come from a brashful ignorance... as he learned to "clean up" his playing, he lost some of his edge

Neil Peart had a "grim determination" thing going on in his earlier years that he lost as he matured...

same thing, but i'm sure they didn't (and don't) care

Steve Smith got fired from Journey because he (self admittedly) couldn't play to a click

the "mojo" and "testosterone" probably come from a brashful ignorance... as he learned to "clean up" his playing, he lost some of his edge

Neil Peart had a "grim determination" thing going on in his earlier years that he lost as he matured...

Difficulty playing to a click got Danny Seraphine pushed out of Chicago. Remember, Last year or two when Aerosmith "suspended" Joey Kramer because his skills went downhill? I bet it was due to Joey's ability to play perfectly to a click. Much of Stephen Tylers high pitched vocals, screams, etc are played via backing track for live shows (just like Kiss and many others). The drummer out of sync will make things quite problematic.

I know three world class, well-known players who feel that Gruber screwed those people up.

No, I’m not gonna say their names but they are known, high level drummers and teachers.
I think Neil did gain a little bit more "swing" and he had more controlled stick work. After Freddie, Neil was not raising his left arm as far back to pound the backbeat. His arm use to go almost as high and behind his head. Neil playing something with "swing" looked a little less mechanical.

Difficulty playing to a click got Danny Seraphine pushed out of Chicago. Remember, Last year or two when Aerosmith "suspended" Joey Kramer because his skills went downhill? I bet it was due to Joey's ability to play perfectly to a click. Much of Stephen Tylers high pitched vocals, screams, etc are played via backing track for live shows (just like Kiss and many others). The drummer out of sync will make things quite problematic.
I'll never believe Danny Seraphine got kicked out of Chicago for his playing. He always had a fantastic feel on those Chicago records (especially the early ones). Even if he did have trouble playing to a click, I seriously doubt that was something he couldn't have learned to do. He did everything he could to improve when his bandmates started complaining, even taking lessons with Steve Smith (who as mentioned learned to play with a click after having trouble). There had to have been other stuff going on in the band (i.e. drama). I may be biased since Danny Seraphine is my favorite drummer but that was not a fair shake for him at all.

I'll never believe Danny Seraphine got kicked out of Chicago for his playing. He always had a fantastic feel on those Chicago records (especially the early ones). Even if he did have trouble playing to a click, I seriously doubt that was something he couldn't have learned to do. He did everything he could to improve when his bandmates started complaining, even taking lessons with Steve Smith (who as mentioned learned to play with a click after having trouble). There had to have been other stuff going on in the band (i.e. drama). I may be biased since Danny Seraphine is my favorite drummer but that was not a fair shake for him at all.
I read Seraphines’ book and there was a lot more going on within Chicago than just the playing, so it’s hard to say what made them part ways. But he will always be a big influence (part of my growing up soundtrack was the first eight Chicago albums).

I'd like to consider that, all things not being equal, Steve is still a human too. We cant all keep pummeling and flailing forever.

His seating has gotten higher. His drums have gotten lower. I'm sure his body has changed somewhat with age.

I guess what I'm saying is I dont think FG is solely responsible for the change in Steve Smith, or any drummer for that matter. I mean, any one of them coulda said "nope, not gonna do that" and just continued down their paths.

All the interviews I've seen (mostly from modern drummer) never mention that: it was Steve Perry who canned BOTH Steve and ross valory at the same time, in fact, Steve Smith wasn't fired, he just wasn't "invited" to the recording sessions for "Raised on radio"! He called Herbie or was called by Herbie Herbert and was told they were using a different drummer for the album, that was the last he ever heard from them.... game over!
Perry had liked using different musicians and running everything on his solo album, he wanted to do the same thing on the next Journey album. From what I remember Mike Baird played on Perry's solo album, Perry liked working with him so asked Baird to record and tour on the Raised on radio! Same thing may have happened with Randy Jackson.

Last edited:
I'd like to consider that, all things not being equal, Steve is still a human too. We cant all keep pummeling and flailing forever.

His seating has gotten higher. His drums have gotten lower. I'm sure his body has changed somewhat with age.

I guess what I'm saying is I dont think FG is solely responsible for the change in Steve Smith, or any drummer for that matter. I mean, any one of them coulda said "nope, not gonna do that" and just continued down their paths.

He said in a video recently that playing so hard back in the day hurt his hands, Steve is a little guy, watching that Journey video makes me cringe, he is hitting SO hard!
When he got his Zil endorsement he was using rock crashes 24" ping and a 22" crash ride, BIG heavy cymbals.

His attention does not seem to find a large-ish resolution for each phrasing that his older playing always ducked to.

Different style of playing...more attention seems available in this latter stage of development.

He seems more at ease with uncertainty/looking to the songs larger structure now.

Last edited:
His attention does not seem to find a large-ish resolution for each phrasing that his older playing always ducked to.

Different style of playing...more attention seems available in this latter stage.

He seems more at ease with uncertainty/looking to the songs larger structure now.
That’s deep.

Something nobody mentioned is many virtuoso drummers (not all) peak in their 20s, 30s, maybe 40’s. Not surprising because this period is the height of our mental and physical powers

Fine drummer.

Singularly un-gracious person. I saw him last October at the NE Drum Expo in Manchester NH. His snare was a little out of place--rather than just move it like anybody would, he demanded some poor kid come scrambling over and move it for him while he sat there. Just ridiculous.

Then he broke the head on his snare. He asked for a new one--"Be sure to get me a Jeff Ocheltree snare". Again, some poor kid scrambled out and returned with a new snare--which Steve then instructed him how to re-position, right between his legs. Too important to just put it in place himself.

After the show, we were moving some gear out and walked right by him. I politely thanked him, said I enjoyed the show. He looked at me without reply--from 5 feet away with three other people in the room. I thought it good manners to express my appreciation for his efforts, especially in such close proximity where it would have been rude to ignore him.

Good drummer--sure, very good.

I've met several others (Mike Portnoy, Vinnie Colaiuta, Scott Philips, Dave Weckl, Mike Mangini ) who are gracious and pleasant--and their obvious proficiency speaks for itself. In my professional life, I have dealt with Governors, Senators, White House staff. In that atmosphere, I've rarely come across anybody more self-important than Mr. Smith.

You always learn a lot about people when they don't know who they're speaking to. Just my own observation.
i was at the same event and somehow forgot all the other things which transpired that day until you refreshed my memory just now. this is what i remember: a small boy, accompanied by his parents, asked steve for his autograph on his snare drum head. he very nicely handed steve the drum head AND a magic marker with which to autograph the head. steve proceeded to hand it back to the boy and told him to take the cap off of the marker before he would sign it. apparently he's incapable of uncapping a marker on his own. that is completely uncalled for. what i witnessed first hand, coupled with the behavior you spoke of, leads me to believe that he must want everyone around him to bow to him and do anything he asks. if he did that to me, i'd be upset, but acting that way towards a child who is probably just starting out on the instrument? not ok. i spoke to the boy's mother about it, and she was ok with it. i would not have acted so graciously to someone who acted that way to my child.
Fine drummer.

Singularly un-gracious person. I saw him last October at the NE Drum Expo in Manchester NH. His snare was a little out of place--rather than just move it like anybody would, he demanded some poor kid come scrambling over and move it for him while he sat there. Just ridiculous.

Then he broke the head on his snare. He asked for a new one--"Be sure to get me a Jeff Ocheltree snare". Again, some poor kid scrambled out and returned with a new snare--which Steve then instructed him how to re-position, right between his legs. Too important to just put it in place himself.

After the show, we were moving some gear out and walked right by him. I politely thanked him, said I enjoyed the show. He looked at me without reply--from 5 feet away with three other people in the room. I thought it good manners to express my appreciation for his efforts, especially in such close proximity where it would have been rude to ignore him.

Good drummer--sure, very good.

I've met several others (Mike Portnoy, Vinnie Colaiuta, Scott Philips, Dave Weckl, Mike Mangini ) who are gracious and pleasant--and their obvious proficiency speaks for itself. In my professional life, I have dealt with Governors, Senators, White House staff. In that atmosphere, I've rarely come across anybody more self-important than Mr. Smith.

You always learn a lot about people when they don't know who they're speaking to. Just my own observation.

To @Heretic and @fatrunner70,

I know Steve and is the highest gentleman in the "Via Lactea" (Milky Way) and beyond. I haven´t been at this specific event these two persons mentioned but the same year (or more or less), 2008 I think, I was at one of his workshops and he proved, as usual, his extreme generosity towards everyone and me.

Steve is known for this as well as his great and serious dedication to the instrument.

P.S.: with a marker wrote this!:

Steve Smith small.jpg

And did you remove the cap before handing the marker to him? :D

Either these incidents happened or they didn't. Sounds to me like they did. If so, its poor behaviour, sorry.

I was in a line after hundreds of other guys that got already signed (200 maybe more?), the marker was there, I believe hot after so many people requesting his sign, after me there were more waiting...that´s all I can say...

Was in Munich, at Music Shop, a huge store at DachauerStr. 114 - 80636 Munich, Germany

Here is the place, has a big stage inside too, Jojo, Virgil Donati, etc. all have been here...

1697144995502.png

Last edited:
To @Heretic and @fatrunner70,

I know Steve and is the highest gentleman in the "Via Lactea" (Milky Way) and beyond. I haven´t been at this specific event these two persons mentioned but the same year (or more or less), 2008 I think, I was at one of his workshops and he proved, as usual, his extreme generosity towards everyone and me.

Steve is known for this as well as his great and serious dedication to the instrument.

P.S.: with a marker wrote this!:

View attachment 139794
that’s awesome. maybe he was just having a REALLY bad day. we all have those.

Back