Steely Dan Is Not a Band

From what I recall about SD,they got a really lousy contract and quit performing live as a band.
They just morphed into a studio group to fulfill their contract until it was up.

In lots of discussions, the eclectic, ever-changing collective known as Steely Dan is discussed as if SD is or was a band that could be compared to, say, The Rolling Stones or Focus.

Here’s why Steely Dan, over most of its career, was not a band:

1. At best, Steely Dan was a duo, but has continued after Walter Becker’s death in 2017.

2. After 1974, Steely Dan fires its backing musicians and became a studio-only entity consisting of a Who’s Who of eminent pay-by-the-hour studio musicians.

3. The post-74 material (Katy Lied, The Royal Scam, Aja) is what SD is most celebrated for.

4. Studio perfectionists, Fagen and Becker did not want to recreate their production tricks onstage. Apparently, the tools became available by the time Becker and Fagen reunited for tours in 1993

5. Steely Dan’s army of musicians (not members) is massive:
Larry Carlton, Chuck Rainey, Victor Feldmen, Rick Derringer, Jeff “Skunk” Baxter Denny bias, Michael Omartian, Tom Scott, Wayne Shorter; Steve Khan, Randy Brecker, Anthony Jackson, Joe Sample, Hiram Bullock, Michael Brecker, Pete Christlieb, Don Grolnick, etc.

Counting just the drummers, you include Jim Hodder; Jim Gordon, Jeff Porcaro, Hal Blaine, Bernard “Pretty” Purdie, Steve Gadd, Paul Humphrey, Rick Marotta, Jim Keltner and Ed Greene.

As you reflect on this, Son of Vistalite Black insists you listen to Donny & Marie’s rendition of “Reeling in the Years.” It really capture what a cultural force Steely Dan had become during the 70s.

I enjoy a laugh as much as the next man, but - there IS a way I can un-see/hear this, right? Guys? GUYS??

In lots of discussions, the eclectic, ever-changing collective known as Steely Dan is discussed as if SD is or was a band that could be compared to, say, The Rolling Stones or Focus.

Here’s why Steely Dan, over most of its career, was not a band:

1. At best, Steely Dan was a duo, but has continued after Walter Becker’s death in 2017.

2. After 1974, Steely Dan fires its backing musicians and became a studio-only entity consisting of a Who’s Who of eminent pay-by-the-hour studio musicians.

3. The post-74 material (Katy Lied, The Royal Scam, Aja) is what SD is most celebrated for.

4. Studio perfectionists, Fagen and Becker did not want to recreate their production tricks onstage. Apparently, the tools became available by the time Becker and Fagen reunited for tours in 1993

5. Steely Dan’s army of musicians (not members) is massive:
Larry Carlton, Chuck Rainey, Victor Feldmen, Rick Derringer, Jeff “Skunk” Baxter Denny bias, Michael Omartian, Tom Scott, Wayne Shorter; Steve Khan, Randy Brecker, Anthony Jackson, Joe Sample, Hiram Bullock, Michael Brecker, Pete Christlieb, Don Grolnick, etc.

Counting just the drummers, you include Jim Hodder; Jim Gordon, Jeff Porcaro, Hal Blaine, Bernard “Pretty” Purdie, Steve Gadd, Paul Humphrey, Rick Marotta, Jim Keltner and Ed Greene.

As you reflect on this, Son of Vistalite Black insists you listen to Donny & Marie’s rendition of “Reeling in the Years.” It really capture what a cultural force Steely Dan had become during the 70s.

Canned Laughter was an even greater "cultural force" I'd say. 😣
What did Steely Dan do or say to the adorable siblings to merit THAT retribution?
Hell hath no fury like a Mormon scorned.

Decades ago to describe and contrast SD from most rock bands of era was the comment “they are a tight band”. I agree.

<snip>

I'll see your Osmonds & Steely Dan and raise you a Cher & Stevie Wonder:

Steely Dan and Fagans solo stuff gets played a lot on my home theater. Their stuff has a sound that just doesnt get captured on many productions. I own quite a few SACDs from both. Theyre some of the best sounding discs I own.

And, I forgot to mention that I love some of their solo stuff, too.
The Nightfly and Circus Money

Is an aggregate
"a whole formed by combining several (typically disparate) elements."..

Actually It's a Club where you have to "Knock Three Times Rap with your Cane"

one of my favorite songs of theirs

Back