Starting to put together a new band

I haven't heard you sing, A J, but go for it. In my opinion, singing is more therapeutic than drumming. It doesn't matter if you're good or not (but I'm guessing you are). I was a shower/car singer for 45 years. My brothers-in-law were attempting the Eagles Seven Bridges Road. And failing. I was just tipsy enough (alcohol!) that I stepped in, corrected them and did the high-part harmony. Since then, I sing full voice whenever/wherever I feel like.

Here's an eye-opener: keeping time on your drums while singing lead vocals out of meter. Takes four-limb independence to another level. I'm betting you can do it!

Wow! Sounds like you're even more of a singer than a drummer. I'm kinda the opposite. Drumming is my focus and I only sing when the band drags me into it.

I've done back up vocals (and some leads) in just about every band I've ever been in. I've gotten away from it in recent years as the last band we had 3 very good vocalists, so I was content to simply play drums. In this 3-piece band, only the lead guy sings, so they're actively pushing me. We harmonize well. Doing leads will be a bit of a departure. It should be fun.

The coolest part is that I get to pick the songs. I have a higher range than the lead guy and will try select songs that fit my range, are simple enough to drum and are suitable for a 3-piece.

I'm not the kind of singer you should emulate. But the best advice I can offer is, "embrace your voice." It's another instrument you can tap into any time you want.

What kind of songs would fit in that category?

Reactions: A J
I'm not the kind of singer you should emulate. But the best advice I can offer is, "embrace your voice." It's another instrument you can tap into any time you want.

What kind of songs would fit in that category?

I appreciate the vocal advice. I've done it for years, but have just kinda winged it.

For backups, I was able to easily sing the higher chorus parts for songs like Zombie by the Cranberries, Long Train Running by Doobie Brothers and Fire Woman by the Cult. For lead vocals, I'm looking at easier songs from REM, The Smithereens, J. Geils Band and Collective Soul. I want to stay away from higher register songs, but think I could do some Audio Slave or Shine Down. Maybe.

Wow! Sounds like you're even more of a singer than a drummer. I'm kinda the opposite. Drumming is my focus and I only sing when the band drags me into it.

I've done back up vocals (and some leads) in just about every band I've ever been in. I've gotten away from it in recent years as the last band we had 3 very good vocalists, so I was content to simply play drums. In this 3-piece band, only the lead guy sings, so they're actively pushing me. We harmonize well. Doing leads will be a bit of a departure. It should be fun.

The coolest part is that I get to pick the songs. I have a higher range than the lead guy and will try select songs that fit my range, are simple enough to drum and are suitable for a 3-piece.
You will find the more you do it, the more comfortable you will get. (Like pretty much anything) Then you can start to expand your horizons, so to speak. There are songs that certainly become challenging to play and sing at the same time, for sure. (I wince every time the guys want to play Led Zeps Rock and Roll, since I can't really do either justice, playing it OR singing it, let alone both at the same time...fortunately that's usually a last-set request from a drunk ;) )

Singing lead is fun, but I think I have just as much fun singing harmony parts. I think part of what gets people to like our silly little bar band is the fact that we have 3 and sometimes 4 people singing, and that tends to attract attention, if you can stay moderately in key. It also helps the band to have multiple options, if someone isn't there, or just not feeling well. Plus, it often gives you more options on stuff that you can add to the catalog, especially if, as you say, you have a higher range than the other guys.

Enjoy!

Reactions: A J
Back