Starting to play again

Terminator7t

Hey I have recently just started playing drums again after not playing them for about 6 months, due to neighbours etc. However, now I have purchased a electronic drum set (Roland HD-1) and I was wondering how to motivate myself as I have no idea how to start again. I would like to think of myself as an intermediate to advanced drummer, and I have tried playing a long to my i pod which is fun and all, but I find myself not learning anything new, and do not know where to go from here.

Any suggestions?

Best motivation ever, IMO = play with others. Get some mates together, check the local ads for anyone looking for a drummer. Nothing quite like playing music with other people....it trumps playing along to ipods etc, hands down.

Hey Terminator7t,

I am going through the same thing. Just a few months ahead of you. It's been about 12 years for me though!

I decided to really focus on education this time. I have purchased JoJo Mayer's "The Secret Weapon of the Modern Drummer," Benny Greb's "The Language of Drums," and, I am holding in my hands, (well actually on my lap,) an unopened box from Amazon with John Riley's "The Art of BeBop." As suggested by this forum, Jeff Johnson (jeffwj) in particular

I played professionally for about 15 years starting in high school and going on the road after I was out. I was a pretty good drummer/percussionist; I have played pit bands, jazz bands, rock, funk, you name it. But, now I am having a blast learning as much as I can about just being a drummer. Not band oriented, rather just enthralled in learning as much as I can, and putting into application as I play my instruments...!

Welcome to the Forum and kudos on your new drums..!

@ChipJohns Hi, thanks for your input, yeah the Roland HD-1 isn't the best kit but the best I could afford, does the job, (sort of) ha. Hope to upgrade to the TD-4 later this year.

Anyway, I have heard of a couple of those DVD's and they are apparently very good, particularly JoJo Mayer's "The Secret Weapon of the Modern Drummer", so I might just buy that thank you.

@Pocket-full-of-gold, Hi, I was in a band previously and I completely agree it is a great way to motivate yourself, I moved recently and have not met many people who can play instruments (and the ones I have met have been terrible), but I am looking around and hopefully will meet some people who I can play with.

First of all - Chip, glad you took my suggestion on the Riley book. Nice to know that I could be of help.

Terminator - Welcome to Drummerworld. Most people on the forum already know what I'll say next. Lessons - no matter what level you are at, you can benefit from formal instruction. I still study to this day (while continuing to teach others).

Especially if you are at the intermediate to advanced level - there are so many things out there to pull your attention one way or another. There are so many DVDs and method books that it all becomes a guessing game as to what to buy. This is where a teacher fits in. He/she will analyze your playing and cart out a course for your playing.

The mental boost, or motivation, after a lesson can be quite invigorating. I think it might be just what you need. Find the best teacher around and sign up for at least one trial lesson. What is there to lose?

And as others have said - play with other musicians. Listen to various styles of music. Transcribe some drum parts or fills. In the meantime, check out these youtube channels for education and inspiration.

http://www.youtube.com/user/drumteacher76

http://www.youtube.com/user/vadrum

http://www.youtube.com/user/drummernyc

http://www.youtube.com/user/phillydrumdude

Jeff

Last edited:
Great advice above (especially play with others and transcribe pieces that you like)... but I'd add that -- if you like playing to your iPod, practice songs that you love to listen to but can't yet play.

I became a better drummer after spending time (admittedly frustratingly) with albums like 2112 and Moving Pictures. I'm sure you have some you can think of.

Back