Stage Fees?

I still don't understand why you don't understand your post. Your wife can't strip in the street. She could, I suppose, but she wouldn't make the money she would in a club, right? This is still very different from some band playing at a venue. You're comparing very different forms of entertainment. I've never had a blowie off the band, nor would I want or expect one, but I've rolled 10/10 out of the "dancers".

Because a hired employee is providing a service for the company. Having to pay to work is backwards. I don't know what you do for a living , but would you want to pay your employer for the privilege to work for them? It makes no sense. If you are contracted and are renting a space, sure. But a hired employee is on the payroll and part of the company at that point.

Also, I made a direct comparison between dancers and bands, based on my own personal experience and the conversation my wife and I were having. Even Bo seems to not know about this pay to play thing. Just seems kinda crooked, that's all.

I still don't understand why you don't understand your post. Your wife can't strip in the street. She could, I suppose, but she wouldn't make the money she would in a club, right? This is still very different from some band playing at a venue. You're comparing very different forms of entertainment.

I don't see the difference.

The dancer/band need the stage, the lights, the PA the club provided DJ/soundman to put on there best show.

Sure, and the band can just play on the street, but it wouldn't be the same.

In both cases, the venue is providing what the entertainer needs to entertain, and collecting money from the entertainer.

Not that I think it's right.

In terms of bands, does this only apply to original bands? I've done a lot of cover band stuff and never had to pay a fee, in addition to getting paid as a band member. I had no idea these fees existed.

Yes.

And really? Nobody gets paid for the Super Bowl? That seems hard to believe.

The halftime show is considered an advertisement, not entertainment.

And really? Nobody gets paid for the Super Bowl? That seems hard to believe.

It makes perfect sense when you think about it differently.

A 30 second Super Bowl commercial is pushing the 5 million dollar mark. An artist will get maybe 10 minutes of exposure. Entertainers are also in business and all the same rules apply and marketing is #1.

I have absolutely no idea what the real numbers are but, if they pay a 10 million dollar fee to perform and they sell an additional 15 million dollars in product, that is a good investment.

It's not a whole lot different than when Nabisco pays slotting fees to the grocery stores to get the best eye level shelves. When a business has something of value, they sell it. Sometimes these things are subtle.

Most tours you see now days, all the opening acts paid to be on the bill. That's how the headliner makes money, especially at the club level. Smaller venues have low guarantees, if any at all, and some even take a cut of merch sales.

Anyone can open for a major act if you have deep enough pockets.

Acts in the Superbowl halftime show pay to be there. They are not compensated

This is an exposure gig. The most you'll ever play.

For us "little guys" who will never play that level of a show, paying for stage time is bunk.
If they come at me with that, I'm out as there are plenty of places where me playing is what they need.

Back