SPD-SX froze

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
A first for my newish SPD-SX, in the middle of a show last night, it froze. I couldn't scroll the programs up, but I could scroll them down. Once it got to Pgm 1, it stayed there. Powering down and on again brought it to Pgm 2, but again it wouldn't scroll up, only down, and then stayed on 1. It did this several times.

I'm touring Australia with a US unit, but it has been working fine and in fact didn't crash until half-way through the show. The power didn't seem to affect anyone else's electronics, so I don't know if or how 'dirty' the power is.

Thoughts?

Would a hard reset perhaps help, and is there a way to do that without re-installing the factory samples and pgms? Maybe just re-install my backup file? I walked away from it last night without trying anything. Hope to address it today.

Thanks!

Hi Boss.

Umm, I don't know whether my suggestion is a bit pale knowing your experience.

I was wondering if the US to AUS converters you are using may be failing as opposed to the module itself?

I know our 240v can be brutal to overseas units.

So I don't know if you may need to change over any conversion adaptors etc.

There's been a bit of a heatwave over East..... maybe there's been some electrical overheating as well perhaps?

Last edited:
I was wondering if the US to AUS converters you are using may be failing as opposed to the module itself?

That's certainly a possibility, although it's been working fine for the past 6 weeks in Europe and OZ. It's odd that suddenly the power would be an issue. But there's dirty power in some places, I'm just curious why only my gear is affected if that's the case.

Ah. Thank god for acoustic drums though 😉
Yeah, they really saved the day when it was time for my handclaps, tambourine, and guiro samples! 😮

That's certainly a possibility, although it's been working fine for the past 6 weeks in Europe and OZ. It's odd that suddenly the power would be an issue. But there's dirty power in some places, I'm just curious why only my gear is affected if that's the case.
Highly doubtful it has anything to do with Australian power. Almost every piece of gear built in the last 15 years that has a lump in line uses a switch mode power supply. They work with any input voltage from 100-240vac and both 50/60Hz. Pretty much all you need to do is use a plug that fits whatever is on the wall wherever you go.

I would suggest doing a factory reset and then reloading your saved backup.

Highly doubtful it has anything to do with Australian power. Almost every piece of gear built in the last 15 years that has a lump in line uses a switch mode power supply. They work with any input voltage from 100-240vac and both 50/60Hz. Pretty much all you need to do is use a plug that fits whatever is on the wall wherever you go.

I would suggest doing a factory reset and then reloading your saved backup.

Really?

Jeez, I didn't know that.........cool.

So, the unit came back to the states, and had the same issues. So it wasn't dirty/foreign power. I had two rental units to get me through the last two shows, using my power supply, and they worked fine (so it's not a bad power transformer... it's definitely my pad.)

Guess it's going to 'the shop'... wherever that is!

Finally sent it to Roland here in L.A., didn't hear from them for a few weeks so I sent an email. Got a quick response with a quote: $85.17 ($80 labor, 5.17 for parts!) I had to call to give my billing info, and couldn't resist asking what was wrong that required only $5 in parts. It was just a bad keypad thingy, thankfully.

Unit came back working perfectly and with my samples still loaded. I'm sure they were amused by some of them!

Anyway, apparently no tax on the part or charge for return shipping, so I consider myself lucky. This time.

Back