Sonor versus Yamaha hardware

jaysticks

Whilst on a search for a new top end kit, I'm comparing the hardware on Sonor and Yamaha tip end kits, and to my knowledge the Yamaha looks like great quality steel, where as the Sonor metal work does not look as high quality.Anyone shed some light on this?

Whilst on a search for a new top end kit, I'm comparing the hardware on Sonor and Yamaha tip end kits, and to my knowledge the Yamaha looks like great quality steel, where as the Sonor metal work does not look as high quality.Anyone shed some light on this?

What I own and use (and have for nearly twenty years now) is Yamaha. The *same* stands. They've done literally hundreds of gigs, and held up way more junk than they were designed to hold. I highly recommend them.

I've personally never seen Sonor hardware in person. I can tell you I've been using the same yamaha hardware for 25 years and it's never failed. Yamaha's hardware is probably the best in the industry.

Buy a good quality set of Yamaha hardware and take reasonable care of it. Then unless you run over it with a semi truck or something, you're pretty much set for as long as you care to play.

I just traded in a Yamaha hi hat stand that I had for about 33 or 34 years. Still looked very good (besides looking a little dated), and worked perfectly. The only reason I got rid of it was to get another Yamaha HHS740 hi hat stand.

I have both. As far as mounting hw, hoops and lugs etc (shell hw) I give the nod to SONOR. The chrome plating is bullet proof and little things like tune safe and T.A.R. really do make a difference. In regards to cymbal stands, snare stands and pedals I give the edge to Yamaha. The cymbal stands in particular are (imo) the best in the business. Extremely durable with a ton of positioning options and compared to SONOR the weigh very little. Now what really matters to me is the shells. I played Yamaha forever, that is until I got my hands on a German SONOR. Best sounding ply drums in the world (again my opinion) and Yamaha makes killer sounding drums, SONOR just sound better to me. So you could do what I did and get a SONOR kit and Yamaha hw.

Yep - 2 types of hardware. The stuff that's actually on the drums, and the external stuff you get when you buy a hardware pack. I've been getting some stands and stuff like that lately, so that's the first thing that came to mind.
I see the stuff you use to actually mount the drums as being sort of a third type of hardware.

Jaysticks.. which Sonor drums are you looking at ??

One thing to consider: Sonor Hardware isn't idiot proof.

The tom arms use this ball-sytem thing (like so: http://www.thomann.de/gb/sonor_ta_478tomarm.htm), and if you have someone set-up the drums for you, they tend to tighten the screws on these WAY too hard.

Result: the tom mounts wear out and don't stay in place after a couple of years in use.

Cymbal and hihat stands are rock-solid though!

Thanks for the replies guys!I'm not referring to hi hat stands, snare stand, cymbal stands etc, I haven't found better than yamaha for that. The reason I ask is because the bass drum Tom mount and metal work on the sonor lugs doesn't look as high quality steel as yamaha. My friend made the point that if you were to take a hammer to the lugs on the yamaha they would just dent, where other companies are cheaper cast lugs and metals!

hehe.. No problem bud.

Jaysticks.. so you have looked at those kits , brand new and up close ??? These are VERY NICE kits you are talking about.

Show me a photo of something you don't approve of.

Dubbe, my point exactly!I owned a delite kit and the Tom arm you posted, was not as good metal as yamaha!Seems like amazing shells, not quite as good hardware!

If you over-tighten a Yamaha ball clamp.. how is it immune to that sort of activity where the Sonor is not ?

anyway..., that is a DIFFERENT issue than what you started the topic on.

You started it based on.. " Sonor metal work does not look as high quality."

True, but I have owned both yamaha and sonor, lugs, mounts and arms are better quality metal on yamaha than sonor!I'm presuming that you're a sonor fan/owner?The sonor shells might have a more desirable sound, but lugs, bass drum Tom mounts, bass drum legs are
nicer on yamaha!

I am a Sonor fan.. yes. but I actually agree with you for the most part.. as far as long term reliability and functionality. I probably would take Yamaha fittings for the long haul.

However, I don't hear much of any complaints on the SQ, ProLite, and later production Delite from all the Sonor owners at Sonormuseum. I DO hear some on the Designer and earlier Delite parts.

I appreciate your feedback!What in your opinion is the most versatile shell sonic makes in the sq2 range, is it a medium maple?

Maybe yes.. that medium shell which is 6mm.

The thing with Sonor is their shells are made VERY different than all the others, so with the thicker "Heavy" you don't get that limited range/response like almost every other mfg. They are much more immune from choking etc...... I would go with the initial thickness you are usually more satisfied with.

Smatch above.. has the Heavy I think. Ask him how much range he has.

I had a discontinued series from Sonor called "Force Maple" which was a GERMAN product.. Not the Mapex Sonor Force stuff you see now. They had the equivalent of the current "Heavy" Sonor shell. Made exact same way. Blew everything else I had ever owned out of the water.. without even trying.

These are them :Sonor German Maple

Overall, I have to gravitate towards Yamaha hardware. Never had a problem with it - ever! As for shell hardware, not much between the two, although I always prefer lugs/brackets hewn from solid stock rather than cast. Far greater consistency.

with the thicker "Heavy" you don't get that limited range/response like almost every other mfg. They are much more immune from choking etc......
Very much can be the case, but choking (either tuning range or dynamic) is instigated by many more factors than just shell thickness. For example, we produce a certain design that has a 6mm highly resonant shell & with no venting whatsoever. The "rule book" tells you that the drum should have a limited tuning range and a low ceiling on dynamic performance. Nothing could be further from the truth - possibly the greatest tuning & dynamic range of any drum I've ever tried.

Your observation is a good basic rule, but there are multiple examples of exceptions.

Here are some nice examples of sonor kits from chicago music exchange.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bz-BGJ3LbI sonor sq2 thin maple shell

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJGoqF0AIKc sonor prolite (vintage maple shell)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcQ4PZxRVu4 sonor sclassix birch shell

Here's some Yamaha kits from memphis drum shop!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebb8BnBLt1M maple absolute

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DedqveWfKN0 birch custom absolute

Can you hear a difference in the drums?

Back