Snare wires when to replace them?

340wedge

This may be a stupid question for someone who has been drumming on and off since the 1970s but do snare wires need replacing? I have never had any fall apart other than where they attach to the strainer but beyond that do they lose resonance and need replacing?

Snare wires should be replaced when a wire gets loose. If you take it off and the wires bend like a snake get a new snare. You could also snip the offending wire off.

Replacement for experiment. You can improve your sound with another type of snare wires.

You could also snip the offending wire off.
This helps but watch out that you leave a little bit of the snare wires on and bend them to make sure that the cut wire doesn't touch the resonant head. I've ruined a head like that in the past...
If you have a few snares, you could try a set of regular size wires and try them with different snare drums - you might end up with a better sounding drum. Not all wires work equally well on different snares, though - I guess it's related mainly to the width of the snare bed.

I was told when I first started:
Replace Batter heads when they sag when loosened or they are otherwise damaged. Replace reso heads every other time you replace batter heads. Replace snare wires every other time you replace reso head.
But that's a rule of thumb.

Back