Snare advices

Hi, I am thinking of buying a new snare. I will not buy on the used market and the budget is between 400$-500$ canadian dollars which is between 300$ to 370$ US.

I play in my home studio with a far away possibility of gigs in the future.

I mostly play rock music.

One example that I saw that caught my attention is the Sonor 14 * 5.75 Kompressor steel snare.

Thanks in advance for the replies.
Go up another $50 and you can get one of several TAMA SLP snares. Absolute best bang for the buck IMO.

That's a good question. I bought a lot of used cymbals since I find it much easier to verify the quality by a rapid eye test. I am king ofn the fence for a snare since they could have been either dropped, beaten during their usage. Unless you take off the heads, you will not be able to verify if their is a default of some kind with the shell.

This will also be my last snare since I am not young anymore and I want to beat the hell of it myself...With the guarantee attached.

Maybe I am too careful since I probably could get a 900$ snare for half the price in stores, but that's the way I feel.
Hi. I just « wasted » part of my weekend checking for used high end snares and found this one. Looks interesting even if it was not mentioned in the discussion. Any thoughts?

Another vote for the Ludwig Supraphonic. Pretty much the do-anything, go-anywhere snare drum. There's nothing it cannot do.

If you want a "sleeper" snare, the Yamaha Stage Custom Steel 6.5x14 snare (SSS1465) is an unbelievable value, especially if you upgrade the stock heads. Upgrade the hoops and wires too and it gets really, really close to sounding like a Supraphonic at a fraction of the cost. Its price to performance ratio is off the charts.

Another vote for the Ludwig Supraphonic. Pretty much the do-anything, go-anywhere snare drum. There's nothing it cannot do.

If you want a "sleeper" snare, the Yamaha Stage Custom Steel 6.5x14 snare (SSS1465) is an unbelievable value, especially if you upgrade the stock heads. Upgrade the hoops and wires too and it gets really, really close to sounding like a Supraphonic at a fraction of the cost. Its price to performance ratio is off the charts.
How about that Yamaha Brass Snare that I found on FB and that is described above?

This will also be my last snare since I am not young anymore and I want to beat the hell of it myself...With the guarantee attached.
This is why I saved for while and sold a pair hats and bought a new Ludwig black beauty B stock for $ 500 US dollars. Although I'm still in the honeymoon period I don't regret it. It's pretty nice. B stock has a cosmetic blemish somewhere usually on the inside and are often hard to find.

How about that Yamaha Brass Snare that I found on FB and that is described above?
Yamaha snares are usually pretty good, but that particular model is rare in the USA, or maybe it's not sold here at all. I've never seen it, so I can't comment on it.

My top recommendations, based purely on sound. There are plenty of drums that *look* nicer, but none of them sound as good as these IMHO...

Ludwig Supraphonic (Used or B-stock) It's a do-everything drum. It sounds better than 99% of drums out there and has the track record to prove it.

Ludwig Supralite 14x6.5". A killer budget option that sounds just as good as a Supraphonic, but slightly louder and more aggressive. Great for Rock.

Pork Pie Big Black Brass. Also a killer-sounding drum that sounds nearly identical to a Ludwig Black Beauty, but it's half the price.

I have no direct experience with that model but my hunch is that it's great. Yamaha snares are generally very good and brass snares are popular for good reason so if that one meets your budget and catches your eye, you should go for it.

If you do buy it, you might experiment with a lower wire count set of snare wires. It's not a hard rule but when it comes to snare wires, less is often more.

Hi, I am thinking of buying a new snare. I will not buy on the used market and the budget is between 400$-500$ canadian dollars which is between 300$ to 370$ US.

I play in my home studio with a far away possibility of gigs in the future.

I mostly play rock music.

One example that I saw that caught my attention is the Sonor 14 * 5.75 Kompressor steel snare.

Thanks in advance for the replies.
Amazing price right now on this one. Normally $450 on sale for $274
Hell I may have to get it

There are some fantastic snare drums in this price range that should fit your criteria. I got all these listings and prices from the Sweetwater website.

Ludwig has several depths of the Universal black over brass - 5.5", 6.5" and 8" - available around USD$350. They also have a 13x7" available at the same price.
1692557697605.png1692557591244.png1692557599726.png1692557837717.png

Pearl's 14x6.5" Sensitone Elite aluminum snare lists at $337, a serious Supra contender.
1692557671718.png

The Sonor Kompressor 14x5.75" steel snare you mentioned is about $310.
1692557757228.png

On the wood side, hard to go wrong with a DW Design series 14x6" maple snare for $369.
1692557795956.png

How about the Tomahawk? The owner of a small music store near by told me that I would not be disapointed with it.
Solid snare drum! My church has one and I sometimes use it over my own (copper snare at the time, not Mapex). I recommend it.

Hi, I am thinking of buying a new snare. I will not buy on the used market .... One example that I saw that caught my attention is the Sonor 14 * 5.75 Kompressor steel snare.
I've got 2 steel snares. A Tama Royalstar, and a Pearl Chad Smith Signature. Steel makes for a good, solid rock snare.
Hi. I just « wasted » part of my weekend checking for used high end snares and found this one. Looks interesting even if it was not mentioned in the discussion. Any thoughts?

I'm not a huge fan of brass snares ..... but Yamaha makes nice ones. I'm more of an Aluminum (Supraphonic) guy, than brass. I've got a 14x5 Supra. The Pearl Sensitone alparrott mentioned is a pretty good Supra clone.

If you've got a drum store near you, I'd go play a few snares, and see what you like, and don't like.

I've got 2 steel snares. A Tama Royalstar, and a Pearl Chad Smith Signature. Steel makes for a good, solid rock snare.

I'm not a huge fan of brass snares ..... but Yamaha makes nice ones. I'm more of an Aluminum (Supraphonic) guy, than brass. I've got a 14x5 Supra. The Pearl Sensitone alparrott mentioned is a pretty good Supra clone.

If you've got a drum store near you, I'd go play a few snares, and see what you like, and don't like.
Thanks for the info. It seems that Pearl is not producing the Pearl Sensitone Elite Aluminum snare anymore. It seems to be really hard to find, at least here in Canada.

This snare looks like a pretty good alternative: Sensitone Heritage Alloy Seamless Aluminum 14 x 5. Any thoughts.

Thanks for the info. It seems that Pearl is not producing the Pearl Sensitone Elite Aluminum snare anymore. It seems to be really hard to find, at least here in Canada.

This snare looks like a pretty good alternative: Sensitone Heritage Alloy Seamless Aluminum 14 x 5. Any thoughts.

Same drum different name.

Same drum different name.
Thanks.

After tons of hours on the Net (research and listening) and multiple phone calls I have these four interesting choices in canadian dollars:

Metal
- Ludwig Supraphonic Aluminium 5 * 14 at 520$ (B-Stock)
- Pearl Sensitone Heritage Alloy Seamless Aluminium 5 * 14 at 520$ (brand new)

Wood
- Mapex Black Panther Scorpion 5,5 * 14 at 510$ (brand new but not a lot of reviews on the Internet)
- DW Maple Design Series 5,5 * 14 at 512$ (brand new)

LOL, so many choices. I am completely "exhausted".

Any thoughts before I go check them live?

I have to say that the Pearl's looks are incredible even if looks are a small part of the decision making process.

Thanks.

After tons of hours on the Net (research and listening) and multiple phone calls I have these four interesting choices in canadian dollars:

Metal
- Ludwig Supraphonic Aluminium 5 * 14 at 520$ (B-Stock)
- Pearl Sensitone Heritage Alloy Seamless Aluminium 5 * 14 at 520$ (brand new)

Wood
- Mapex Black Panther Scorpion 5,5 * 14 at 510$ (brand new but not a lot of reviews on the Internet)
- DW Maple Design Series 5,5 * 14 at 512$ (brand new)

LOL, so many choices. I am completely "exhausted".

Any thoughts before I go check them live?

I have to say that the Pearl's looks are incredible even if looks are a small part of the decision making process.
I think you've got four excellent choices there. When you check them out live, pay attention to which one gives you what James May calls "the fizz" - that indescribable satisfaction of a good piece of gear that has hit all your buttons. That'll be the one.

Back