Sliding drum mat

Merlin5

Gold Member
Hi guys. For my gigs I have a proper drum mat with grippy textured rubber backing that doesn't move. But at home with my electric practise kit I have a cheap mat with a rubber backing that is smooth and has no grip. This was fine until I decided to cut up the mat and just keep a small section of it which is just under 3 foot long now. It's on a ceramic tiled floor and slides forward as I play the bass drum pedal. I'm wondering if you'd suggest some double sided sticky thing I could put under it to adhere to the rubber backing and the ceramic tiles?

Here you can see the backing. Not much texture really.

20230816_152511.jpg

This is where I want my drum throne positioned in relation ṭo the mat, where the drum throne leg is.

20230816_152455.jpg

If the throne leg is on the mat, there's no problem with it moving but the problem with that is I'm then too close for the pedal. I either need another piece of mat that is a few centimetres longer for the leg to go on or something to stick under the mat. I'm annoyed I didn't cut out a slightly longer piece of the mat, lol.

20230816_152530.jpg

Either some carpet grip or cupboard liner may work, but you might not have enough surface area to prevent it from sliding around. How about some velcro (hook and loop) or
bungee from your throne leg to the mat? You could go real retro and tie a rope round your kick tower to your throne leg in a v formation.
1692198869594.png

Either some carpet grip or cupboard liner may work, but you might not have enough surface area to prevent it from sliding around. How about some velcro (hook and loop) or
bungee from your throne leg to the mat? You could go real retro and tie a rope round your kick tower to your throne leg in a v formation.
View attachment 137753
Some good ideas there. You know what, I think your suggestion of velcro hook & loop might be the answer. I was a bit concerned about anything 'gluey' going directly onto the tiles but to be honest, a couple of small strips might be enough to hold the mat and I'm sure I could remove any sticky substance from the tiles if needed. I'll go buy some tomorrow. Thanks ineedaclutch. By the way, I applied the loctite blue that you suggested to my hihat bottom rod thread today. I also put a little into the part that the rod screws into. It'll be cured properly by tomorrow and I'll test it to see if the bottom rod holds. :)

I was a bit concerned about anything 'gluey' going directly onto the tiles
Most of the non-slip carpet mats and cupboard liners I have used have no adhesive.

Good to hear about the Loctite. It should work great for you.

Back