Simple cymbal set-ups.

I'd use a 17" or 18" crash if playing with a small cymbal set. Although I'm not into the biggest, lowest-pitched cymbals, I find a medium size more versatile than the smallest one.
My choice with what I've currently got:
  • 15" 2002 Sound Edge hi-hats
  • 17" Sound Formula Full Crash
  • 20" 2002 Ride
I'd like the 14" SE hihats and a 2002 crash, though.

I've never really been into large cymbal set-ups, the most I've ever had was 3 crashes, felt weird. Over time I've progress more to just hats, and two crash ride, or crash and ride. Heavily inspired by Levon Helm, Al Jackson Jr type set ups. Just wondered if anyone else has a simple cymbal set up, and if so, what do you have in yours?
A simple setup here:

Attachments

• cymbals.jpg
    cymbals.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 17
I've never really been into large cymbal set-ups, the most I've ever had was 3 crashes, felt weird. Over time I've progress more to just hats, and two crash ride, or crash and ride. Heavily inspired by Levon Helm, Al Jackson Jr type set ups. Just wondered if anyone else has a simple cymbal set up, and if so, what do you have in yours?

Yup. I ditched all of the Chinas and splashes YEARS ago.

I play Heartbeat cymbals:

15 Studio hats
20" Studio Crash thin
22" Custom Dry Ride thin (also can be crashed easily)
20" Custom Dry Crash thin
1708351703206.png

16" Epic hats
20" Epic crash thin
24" Jazz ride thin (crashes great as well"
22" Epic crash thin
1708352109901.jpeg

My bog standard setup is hats, ride and two crashes. Small stage hats, crash and ride. Very small stage hats and ride.

I really don't need any more than that for anything so I keep things as simple as possible.

The last few practice sessions I bring hi hat only. I set the cymbals about 2 inches apart so that I can use the upper hi hat cymbal as a ride. I can get bell sounds from that upper hi hat cymbal. So I get 4 cymbal sounds: closed hat, slightly open hat, open hat and bell.

99% of the time, hihats, 1x crash and a ride. It’s all about finding the perfect crashable ride, I’ve bought and sold 7 or 8 rides in the last couple of years. Actually done a full circle and back to the old faithful Sweet Ride, albeit a K one this time around.

99% of the time, hihats, 1x crash and a ride. It’s all about finding the perfect crashable ride, I’ve bought and sold 7 or 8 rides in the last couple of years. Actually done a full circle and back to the old faithful Sweet Ride, albeit a K one this time around.
I'm right about there with you on rides, but I use an AA Bash Ride. Tried the sweets, Paiste twenty series, and a few others. Kept the Bash the longest.

If I remember right, it's a RBDR thinned out to do the crash riding, and is Sabian's equivalent to the sweets IMO.

Playing wise, I can get away with hats crash and ride 99% of the time, and have done so, but with a 1 up 2 down, the floor tom side looks naked without a second crash 😆

I know what you mean about naked floortom syndrome. I use straight stands which for the ride forces the positioning a touch to the right thus eliminating the problem!
I boom mine because I like it up and over my kick. It's practically my main crash at this point in my current band. Probably doesn't help I like a single rack tom darn near directly in front of me.

FB_IMG_1702256568972.jpg

for my jazz/country/rockabilly band, it is

all Zildjian
15" 90's era Quick Beat hats
17" '00's era K Dark Custom crash
18" '50's era A crash w/ rivets
22" '50's era A ride

for the country band, a 22" 90's era K ride replaces the 50's one

Back