Simon Phillips

How did the kit sound?
As Simon Phillips as usual, no all jokes aside ,the kit sounded very well i must say. Im not a big fan of the sound personally, but for what he does it sounds great. i must say that the 15,16 and 18 toms sound very deep although he useses remo ambassadors. The towel in de bass drum, i copied that ages ago and still use it as Simon does.

Clear ambass on the mammoth kit open tuning...it's like one of the most dynamic and loudest options possible. Put it with Simon's concept and technique, brilliant...most others would be lost. Here is Thomas taking a crack at it 1 min in.

" his Left arm hasn't fallen off yet!"

As Simon Phillips as usual, no all jokes aside ,the kit sounded very well i must say. Im not a big fan of the sound personally, but for what he does it sounds great. i must say that the 15,16 and 18 toms sound very deep although he useses remo ambassadors. The towel in de bass drum, i copied that ages ago and still use it as Simon does.
I love his open, non-dampened sound. Same with Billy Cobham’s sound. No muffling/dampening on the toms for a clean, true sound. However, in a recording situation all that sympathetic resonance can make the kit sound muddy without proper gating on the tom mics. I‘ve gone all across the spectrum, from wide open to heavily dampened and am amazed at what pro audio engineers can do with a kit like Simon’s.

I love his open, non-dampened sound. Same with Billy Cobham’s sound. No muffling/dampening on the toms for a clean, true sound. However, in a recording situation all that sympathetic resonance can make the kit sound muddy without proper gating on the tom mics. I‘ve gone all across the spectrum, from wide open to heavily dampened and am amazed at what pro audio engineers can do with a kit like Simon’s.
I recall Simon making the comment that his snare sound is coming from the sympathetic sound and reflection of everything that surrounds it. So making overdubs on snare without the kit isn't even feasible nor sounds as big.

Simon being an audio engineer himself has perfected it, probably approaches more like a piano or an orchestra as a singular unit. I can just imagine some anal engineer trying to isolate each component of Simons and put their spin to 'control' it...probably destroying his life's work in the turn of the knob. I'd say, just play 'Simon says...' here let him do what he does at his direction.

Simon making the comment that his snare sound is coming from the sympathetic sound and reflection of everything that surrounds it.
I saw that video and totally get it.

He proves the saying "Pros practise until they can't get it wrong" at 1:15 in the above :)
That was great! At first, i thought "big deal, he's swapping out sticks" because I watched it on crappy computer speakers at work. Then I came home and watched the whole thing with headphones.
So, for those that don't listen through headphones or a quality system, at 1:21 when he pitches the stick over his shoulder with his left hand, it hits the floor in absolute perfect time.........surprising even himself.

Back