Should I convert 14" and 16" toms to floor toms?

FritzDrummer

I purchased a Pearl Masters Custom (MMX) a year ago, used, to use as my gigging kit. I use the full 10/12/14/16/22 setup at any gig I can, but the 14" and 16" toms are rack toms with the Optimount system. I have no problem with the Optimount system and love the sound of the drums, but I always wish these two toms were floor toms with legs. I feel it would make it much easier for set up. I would also not have to mount them to a cymbal stand or have to bring a rack to the gig. I would love to add legs to these but am nervous that drilling into the shells and adding leg brackets will take away from the resonance these shells have. Anyone else convert a rack tom to a floor tom? How did it turn out? Would you do it again? Any ideas/opinions would be greatly appreciated guys! Thank you!

Why not get a double tom stand and mount them low like floor toms?

I have considered this! I typically mount them to cymbal stands but then the cymbal stands but am getting tired of constantly moving them so they correctly balance, aren't in the way etc... Also trying to limit the number of stands I have to pack if possible. My ideal setup is 10/12/14/16 or 12/14/16, I just felt it would be easiest to add legs. If it is too risky, I will be purchasing a tom stand for them! Thanks for the suggestion!

My ideal setup is 10/12/14/16 or 12/14/16, I just felt it would be easiest to add legs. If it is too risky, I will be purchasing a tom stand for them! Thanks for the suggestion!

Another option to investigate: Floor Tom Basket

productImage

Benefit: No drilling.
Drawback: Drums will no longer fit in their road cases.

I have a basket like kamak posted. No regrets.

I had these on a kit once and really liked them, plus they still fit in my cases, so that wasn't an issue for me.

In any case, I would definitely put some legs on those drums however you decide to go about it, and I wouldn't be too freaked out about drilling them either. Many moons ago, I custom ordered a new Ludwig kit with a 15x14 "floor tom" but Ludwig didn't offer that size as a floor - though they did as a mounted tom - so I ordered it without the tom bracket and drilled it for floor tom legs as soon as it arrived and before ever playing it. Then all was right with the world.

Think of it as a value-added mod.

Have a look at the Ludwig Atlas Mounts.

This is a good idea. With the Ludwig Atlas mounts, it's simply a matter of replacing three lugs and sliding the legs thru. It's completely reversible and there are no holes to drill.

On the matter of drilling, I converted my 14" tom from mounted to floor. It's an easy process and quite inexpensive, and you get the typical floor tom sound, which is improved thru use of the Pearl isolation feet. Does converting to a floor tom cause some resonance to be lost? Yes. But not enough to bother me. I'd do the conversion over again and again. I just do not like mounted low toms - and for the same reasons you cited.

My advice: convert.

GeeDeeEmm

Do it. IMO, the very slight bit of lost resonance will be more than outweighed by the ability to put those things wherever you want without concern for having a stand near them. Never buying mounted floor toms again. Never.

I say be brave and drill 'em.

I tried the floor tom basket thingy and it didn't work out for me because the drum no longer fit in the case. So I had a Tama mounted 16" tom, went out and bought the Tama floor tom brackets and legs and installed them myself. Hanging floor toms are so 80s.

I say be brave and drill 'em.

I tried the floor tom basket thingy and it didn't work out for me because the drum no longer fit in the case. So I had a Tama mounted 16" tom, went out and bought the Tama floor tom brackets and legs and installed them myself. Hanging floor toms are so 80s.

Matt, was there any sound difference that you noticed after installing the legs? I believe I am going to do it. Or go to Dale's Drum Shop since it's down the road and have them do it! Thanks everyone for your feedback! I emailed a Pearl worker to find out what exact parts should be installed. Only thing that worries me is someone in another forum mentioned that, since it has glitter in the finish, there could be a possibility of the lacquer spider webbing when drilling. But I think I am going to go for it!

I added Ludwig Classic brackets and legs to my Genista 14 and 16.
Love the sound and easy setup.
Fritz, no problems drilling through the lacquer, just make sure the drill bit is sharp and drill pilot holes.

Attachments

• genista kit1.jpg
    genista kit1.jpg
    658.3 KB · Views: 637
Last edited:
Drilling can be scary, but I have an issue with large suspended toms. Making them floor toms would be a great idea. As for the sound, I have 14 and 16 floor toms that sing and they both have legs, so not to worry.

I added Ludwig Classic brackets and legs to my Genista 14 and 16.
Love the sound and easy setup.
Fritz, no problems drilling through the lacquer, just make sure the drill bit is sharp.

Off topic, but I love Premier Genista drums. That's a very pretty set you have there in green.

GeeDeeEmm

To the best of my recollection, the MMX is Pearl's 7.5mm 6ply maple shell. Drilling shouldn't be a huge issue.
DO take your time and measure 3x and drill once. Take care when drilling the shell to not exert too much pressure on the shell itself and be careful not to split plies. I may be preaching to the choir as alot of this is common sense stuff.
Just hate to see you booger up that beautiful drum set.

productImage

I've used these for 10 years now on my Richmo 14x7 and 16x8 floor toms, they're great as I don't like attaching a tom from a cymbal stand. I also have this on my other Richmo which has a standard 16x16 floor tom. Just remember to put a bit of tape on the legs so you can remember the height of the legs.

With cases I use soft bags for gigging and put the metal ring at the top so it doesn't wedge into your bag

Anyone else convert a rack tom to a floor tom? How did it turn out? Would you do it again? Any ideas/opinions would be greatly appreciated guys! Thank you!
I did this very recently. Made a thread about it too:
http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124152

I originally had a RIMS Dynamount (cradle type thing). Didn't like it at all. Finally drilled the shell and so glad I did. I did notice a reduction in resonance with legs attached to the shell vs. the Dynamount, but the difference was all but cancelled out once I installed the Pearl suspension feet. Now the drum sounds just as good, if not better, plus it's super stable, lighter weight, and it fits in my drum bag easier.

Matt, was there any sound difference that you noticed after installing the legs? I believe I am going to do it. Or go to Dale's Drum Shop since it's down the road and have them do it! Thanks everyone for your feedback! I emailed a Pearl worker to find out what exact parts should be installed. Only thing that worries me is someone in another forum mentioned that, since it has glitter in the finish, there could be a possibility of the lacquer spider webbing when drilling. But I think I am going to go for it!

No difference, especially when you use those Pearl floating feet on the legs. Those things really work!

Personally, when drilling, you just need sharp bits and good technique. But even if it did "shatter" your finish a bit, it would be covered by the bracket anyway.

Back