Shell Interiors

Claymorexz

Hello everyone,

I have a set of 90s Stage Custom and their previous owner had them stored under poor conditions. After a few years of playing, I decided to try and make the kit look a bit better by changing the screws that attach the lug to the shell. But after removing some of them, I noticed they left a dark brown mark on the shell. Is there any method to remove it or clean it up? Also, this is probably how it has to look due to the wood's quality, and maybe I am biased, but the interiors from my Birch Starclassic Performer and this one look vastly different, could it be due to the poor conditions that the Stage Custom was stored, or is this just how it has to look?1706299713758.jpg

Won't the replacement screws and washers cover those marks?
yeah, it will, I was just wondering if it was possible to have the whole shell interior be cleaner overall too, because I'm not really sure if the interior got to this condition due to poor storage or if its simply like this

yeah, it will, I was just wondering if it was possible to have the whole shell interior be cleaner overall too, because I'm not really sure if the interior got to this condition due to poor storage or if its simply like this
What's actually wrong with the interior?
If it's been stored with heads on, it's hard to imagine it getting dirty.

What's actually wrong with the interior?
If it's been stored with heads on, it's hard to imagine it getting dirty.
i think it was not stored with heads on, and it was practically just laying outside on a barn with no bags or anything, so I was wondering if the bare wood had been affected and if there was any way to make it look any nicer, but that's probably just me comparing it to a higher quality set

I've never heard of Stage Customs having painted interiors. Does it look like a DIY paint job?
Ya..that's bugging me to. Not that it's bad but I'd never seen a white wash interior. I might clean it all up with a sanding (time consuming) and seal it back up. Not with a lacquer but a protectant. Something from Formbys maybe.

Ya..that's bugging me to. Not that it's bad but I'd never seen a white wash interior. I might clean it all up with a sanding (time consuming) and seal it back up. Not with a lacquer but a protectant. Something from Formbys maybe.
It's possible the previous owner painted the interiors just to make it look cool...or possibly to cover up water damage. Although I think it would show on the outside as well.

It's possible the previous owner painted the interiors just to make it look cool...or possibly to cover up water damage. Although I think it would show on the outside as well.
I remember painting the interiors to my first MIJ stencil kit. I taped all of the holes but when the paint dried and I took the tape off to my horror paint leaked through at points. I was super bumbed but it all wiped off and I was happy again.

You could try a light sanding to remove any residues and open up the wood pores. Then apply tung oil to seal it. The tung oil will add a bit of a honey-colored sheen to the shell interior.

You could try a light sanding to remove any residues and open up the wood pores. Then apply tung oil to seal it. The tung oil will add a bit of a honey-colored sheen to the shell interior.
oof I have no experience on that at all, maybe I will try a bit of light sanding or contact a friend that knows his way around this kinda stuff beforehand:LOL:

I think I would just clean it with warm soapy water then dry it immediately with a towel - that will get off any dusty grime - and leave it there. New screws/ washers will tidy it up.

I think I would just clean it with warm soapy water then dry it immediately with a towel - that will get off any dusty grime - and leave it there. New screws/ washers will tidy it up.
on the line of new screws, as I was unscrewing the pieces, I noticed one of them was so rotten that it broke in half in the process. So now the lug has an end of a screw on it. Is there any possible way I could get it out without harming the lug? the lugs are a three-point mount so its no biggie if its not possible but it would be nice if there's any solution to that

on the line of new screws, as I was unscrewing the pieces, I noticed one of them was so rotten that it broke in half in the process. So now the lug has an end of a screw on it. Is there any possible way I could get it out without harming the lug? the lugs are a three-point mount so its no biggie if its not possible but it would be nice if there's any solution to that
If there's enough stud visible, a pair of Mole Grips might clamp tight enough to turn it.
An overnight soak in diesel first might help loosen it too. (better than WD40)
If there's nothing left to grip - drilling out on a pillar drill and tapping a new thread is the only way I can think of.

Hello everyone,

I have a set of 90s Stage Custom and their previous owner had them stored under poor conditions. After a few years of playing, I decided to try and make the kit look a bit better by changing the screws that attach the lug to the shell. But after removing some of them, I noticed they left a dark brown mark on the shell. Is there any method to remove it or clean it up? Also, this is probably how it has to look due to the wood's quality, and maybe I am biased, but the interiors from my Birch Starclassic Performer and this one look vastly different, could it be due to the poor conditions that the Stage Custom was stored, or is this just how it has to look?
90's Stage Customs. I don't think they even HAD birch interiors. That inner ply could be Philippine Mahogany or Falkata. Which is why is doesn't look at all like your birch Tama shells.
i think it was not stored with heads on, and it was practically just laying outside on a barn with no bags or anything, so I was wondering if the bare wood had been affected and if there was any way to make it look any nicer, but that's probably just me comparing it to a higher quality set
Oh .... now THAT'S bad.
And it gets worse still. Outdoor storage and moisture exposure has caused your metal parts to deteriorate.

If you're in this to get experience, then experience is what you will get. It all depends on your "time is money" ratio and if this kit's worth the effort you'll have to put into it. Hopefully you'll go forth.

Depending on how many lugs are bad, you might shop for spare parts, or buy an similar model orphan drum (lugs need to match .... not color).

Sanding the inside of the shells is pretty straightforward. From there, you have a lot of options. Wax, oil, wood sealer and stain, polyurethane, etc. Tons of video's on YouTube will get you on your way. Shell repair & restoration and cleaning hardware tips ..... check out YouTube.

And that those important BEFORE photo's (hopefully you have already) is you can give us a before/after post(y)

This is damage from the bass drum, it was there when I got the set
IMG_20240128_145221.jpgthis is quite alarming,this is damage from weather exposure.Overall,I can spend the time on the drums, as they were give to me for free, but it will require quite a lot of work, both inside and outside, as it has many nicks and marks on the lacquerIMG_20240128_145146.jpg

Last edited:
like moisture rust try some #0000 steel wool If so..
Yes looks like moisture damage to me. The metal parts rusted a bit. And you can see those brown water stains clearly on that last pic. Look at how some of the water stains migrated up from the bottom of shell. Capillary action wood soaked up water from where they were sitting. Like they were sitting in water/ sitting on something very damp.

Same brown stains I saw this past spring on my ceiling after a big storm. Ended up getting roof replaced.

Back