Roland SPD-S

danander11

Does anyone here use this little bugger? And/or can you steer me to somewhere that might have a video or some sound clips on what it can do?

I'm looking to add something to my kit that will allow me to use percussion, sound effects, sampled bits, etc..

Thanks in advance!

The SPD-S is perfect for what you wish to do.

You can record samples either via line-in, or with a mic, and sounds are recorded as .wav or.AIFF files, which means they can be created on pc via protools, etc.

Its a very durable unit and very easy to use, but one minor drawback is that the expansion cards used are CompactFlash and only accomodate a maxium memory of 512MB. Why is this a problem? Because CF cards are now all 1GB and more, which means 512MB cards can be difficult to find.

Johnny Rabb will be glad to show you http://www.rolandus.com/products/pr...&skip=true&page=video&file=spd_s_sampling.flv I've had mine for 3 years (something like that). Wonderful machine. I run mine in stereo. A dry channel and a wet channel. Into two Roland PM-1s. Wet channel runs thry a Electro-Harmonix 16 Sec. loop station and a Ernie Ball Jr. volume pedal, so I can fade my loops in and out of the mix.

Many thanks Brother...

Exactly what I was hoping to find.. I'll do some more snooping around on youtube and such, but I'm pretty sold that this is what I want.. Now, if I can just find one in my price range LOL..

Peace!

I picked up mine used for $325. I've got 2 CF cards full of sound effects and samples, including a helicopter flying a search pattern, in stereo.

I picked up mine used for $325. I've got 2 CF cards full of sound effects and samples, including a helicopter flying a search pattern, in stereo.

I'm doing the 'Ebay-Shuffle' to find one as well.. There was only one for sale anywhere near me.. they lowered it from $1600 to $1200 and someone snapped it up.. sigh. They are selling in the states for about $450-500.. and shipping is less than $100.. Sometimes folks amaze me in their desire to waste money.. but as long as people keep on buying at those prices, they'll keep on selling them..

I found a few more videos on youtube doing some nice things.. I think it will do exactly what I want it to.

Thanks for all of your help.. and expect an IM or three when I get one LOL..

Peace!

Actually a fellow employee told me about BPMmusic.com. They are a distributor of Roland products...I just picked it up about a month ago. $399. Pretty sure free shipping if over $200. Excellent customer service.

Actually a fellow employee told me about BPMmusic.com. They are a distributor of Roland products...I just picked it up about a month ago. $399. Pretty sure free shipping if over $200. Excellent customer service.

Thanks, The price is excellent, but shipping to where I live now would be a lot.. however, my last ebay quest is not turning out so good so I may just do it if they will ship here.

Peace!

They are selling in the states for about $450-500.. and shipping is less than $100..
Technically speaking, every Roland retailer the world over is under contract not to sell gear outside of its own territory. Basically, A US store selling Roland can only sell to US customers and the same with Australian retailers. If they are caught not abiding by this, they can have their entire account with Roland shut down.

If a store deliberately ignored their contractual obligations for the sake of one SPD-s sale, youd have to wonder whether they are the kind of store you want to be buying from anyway.

Technically speaking, every Roland retailer the world over is under contract not to sell gear outside of its own territory. Basically, A US store selling Roland can only sell to US customers and the same with Australian retailers. If they are caught not abiding by this, they can have their entire account with Roland shut down.

If a store deliberately ignored their contractual obligations for the sake of one SPD-s sale, youd have to wonder whether they are the kind of store you want to be buying from anyway.

That's what they said too.. I can always have my brother pick one up for me.. I probably won't be visiting the states for 6 months or so. They retail here for $1600 and sell, when you can find one, for around $1200.. Some on Ebay, but they go for $600+ and up...

Sigh..

Ah the SPD-S.

I bought mine for about $750 AU. You can seriously get it from the US for about that much. Billy Hydes here retails for $1,000.

It's a ridiculously cool idea, the only thing they need to work on is a better way to type in names. You have to scroll through the letters, so if you give your loop a name like "HouseTechnoGroove" it takes you 5 minutes just to get the name in.

Otherwise it does everything I want it to. Just working around to buying a kick trigger for it, and i'll be all over the place.

They retail here for $1600 and sell, when you can find one, for around $1200

The retail price has come down. If Im not mistaken, they now retail at either $995 or $1195 in AU (I cant remember!)

Ill check tomorrow and let you know. My work has some going out on special at the moment.

I have an SPD-S, newly acquired, and lemme tell you, I find myself using it all the time. I recently got a larger memory card so I never run out of sounds I want. I have made my own sounds using Fruity Loops, a rap beat making program. It helps cause I can make long drones in whatever key the songs are in. It helps to make your own sounds. Plus, you can add random sound effects that the SPD-S didn't include in stock form.

The retail price has come down. If Im not mistaken, they now retail at either $995 or $1195 in AU (I cant remember!)

Ill check tomorrow and let you know. My work has some going out on special at the moment.

I regularly swing by the Billy Hydes near where I work.. They seem to be the largest chain in Aus.. (I moved here 3 years ago from the US). That is how I get my info.. The Drum Factory has always been a bit higher on things than BH.

The thing that kills me is the way things are priced here in Aus.. The exact same unit sell new in the states for around $500, (some places less). Shipping via the US post office is around $80.. add in the current exchange rate and you are still under $700 AuD. It sticks in my craw to have to pay the extra $300.

I suppose I should get used to it since this is my home now.. but $300 is a new cymbal or snare or a box of sticks.. (or a weekend away Wifey says).. LOL

When the time is right, I'll find a deal. I've pretty much convinced myself that having one is necessary ;-)

Peace!

^ I definitely hear you on that one!

By the way, The correct retail for the SPD-S in Australia is currently $1195.

Hi i got my roland spds and it worked fine suddenly the pads stop working when you hit them there is no sound, there is no star/stop funtion working (ther is no pad recognition) non lights turn on.

there is some way to reset this machine????

Hey guys,
I want to connect my Roland SPD-S Drum Sampler via MIDI cable to my MacBook Pro and record performances/drum patterns straight into Logic Express.

Is this possible and what sort of MIDI cable do I need? A MIDI USB cable?
Sorry for the dumb question!

Thanks,
Ed

Im using a standard midi cable, that goes into my Presonus Firebox (also high end audio interface) In the spd-s I set the midi channel's and numbers connect it to my MBP with Ableton or Logic, set the right samples and matching channels' and numbers and just play.

Works fine.

Or like sample master swiss Chris... use 2 ;)

Back