Roland SPD-S

Thanks MusiQmaN.

So what I was missing from my set up was a recording interface right?
In your case you use a Presonus Firebox.

So I have to use one, I can't go direct from SPD-S to MBP right?

Silly question, but does the TMC-6 work with the SPD-S?

I want to add sampling capability to my kit, but as well as triggering loops, I want to have 2 pads, kd-7 and hihat control with one shot triggers as well. The SPD-S only has the one trigger output and one foot switch output, so instead I was thinking of patch all my trigger pads through the TMC and then linking that to the SPD-S via MIDI.

Silly question, but does the TMC-6 work with the SPD-S?

I want to add sampling capability to my kit, but as well as triggering loops, I want to have 2 pads, kd-7 and hihat control with one shot triggers as well. The SPD-S only has the one trigger output and one foot switch output, so instead I was thinking of patch all my trigger pads through the TMC and then linking that to the SPD-S via MIDI.

Sure it does.

You've figured it out for the most part. You'll have as many samples to trigger as there are pads on the SPD-S (I have one by the way) By using the TMC unit you are addressing the SPD-S as a pure sound source via MIDI. Unless of course you decide to use the built-in pads/edge triggers as well.

I've considered doing this myself but haven't been able to justify it as my gigs don't call for it. One thing to keep in mind is that although you may be triggering bass drum, snare drum, toms, etc., you will only have Left and Right Stereo Outputs to pan to. Therefore the EQ and levels will have to be dealt with to be effective.

HTH

Jim

Help with noisy sound

Hey guys,

I have a Clap sampler sound but it has a kinda noisy sound like when you scream in a big empty hall. what is the best way to fix it? which software should i use.

Thanks

I am having trouble with my spds. the lower mid pad is receiving simpathy hits from the other pads being struck. is anyone else having this problem??

I am having trouble with my spds. the lower mid pad is receiving simpathy hits from the other pads being struck. is anyone else having this problem??

I haven't had that problem.....yet. :)

However, there is some kind of setting in the manual for adjusting for that. I remember reading about it although I can't remember exactly what it was ("Mask time" setting?). Peruse the back of the manual where they go into depth about settings and features and you'll be able to dial it in better. If you get stumped, call Roland tech support after the weekend.

HTH

Jim

I tried all the sensativety settings but the problem is that the 6 lower pads adjust as a group, not indivdualy. I guess I will call roland on monday. thanks for the input.

I just picked one of these up at guitar center, i'm pretty excited. it was on sale for $450 plus I got 15% off with the black friday coupon! I got a 2 gig cf card, I read somewhere that you can partition it and leave a 512 mb partition that the spd-s will read.

they have the 512 mb cards on amazon.com they are just $13 just make sure they are type 1 cf. BTW, regarding the issue i had with the pads false trigering, i installed rubber wahers between the mount plate and the unit. it seemed to do the trick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BP8DmbKHOA

I made a short video of my first try messing with the sampler. It is pretty easy to use, and set up. I had a hard time playing the kick drum with my left hand, so I will probably buy an external kickpad to use.

I have a hip-hop gig on the 26th, and I can probably get a few songs together by then for the freestyle parts of the show.

Once I get my cf cards in this week I will be able to trim up those samples on the computer so they loop better.

well, the rubber washers did not work, i hit the pad for the hellocopter sound for pink floyd and it mixed with the car crash sound for kiss detroit rock city. two sounds that just dont go together. especialy live. :( off to the service center.

I use a Roland SPD-S in my band,*You can see it in my avatar below my mac* triggering various loops, although I tend to set the pads up to play through, rather than having to keep triggering the pads myself. So its much like an on/off for the loop.

I don't tend to use it much for percussion sounds, and frankly in my opinion most of the preset sounds are pretty lame.

I also add a Roland V Drum pad on it for odd snare sounds.

Overall for me , its a really important bit of kit for what I do.
However, its an expensive bit of kit, and I doubt, if I did not need it I would buy it.
Could get a new couple of cymbals with that money!
And if you're looking at it for home use, you'll probably want some kind of monitor....here come the extras! :)

I think the Roland SPD20 may be more suited to pure percussion sounds rather than the SPDS which is more for triggering?

Has anyone seen the new Yamaha DTX-MULTI12.

Looks quite cool! :)

Re: Roland SPD-S Floyd Samples

I just picked up my SPD. I want to incorporate some samples in my shows. Of course it takes a while to read the book but I really want to know how to get samples like the Pink Floyd "Airplane sound" on in the Flesh as well as the scream in alot of their songs. Additionally, the Liverpool sample at the end of Wish you were here. Any suggestions? I need all the help I can get!!

I loaded the sounds from the original tracks into Pyro audio creator and cut the sections of the tracks i wanted to sample. just play it back from your pc headphone jack to the input jacks on the spds, press the sample button, adjust the level(small nob by the input jack) press the start/stop button and the sound clip together, press start/stop again to stop. follow steps from there to assign.

One question to everyone who use this SPD-S.. what about the sound???
i read that the SPD-S only has 16bit sound-quallity.. that i think is very less
and far away from a professional drum-kit...

what you think abaut the sound-quallity... ireally wanna know, thx.

for the amount of time my loops and clips play, plus our pa is not a stereo rig, 98% of the crowd would never know the difference between 16 and 64 bit. also, i dont use the spds in the studio. Live only. so for me it doesn't matter.

Back