Roc-N-Soc Nitro or Manual spindle

Doraemon

I got the manual one, because that's what I could order with easy returns and the cushion is amazingly comfy, but I'm worried I'm missing out on some cool feature not having the Nitro, or maybe that would be even better with back pain, or maybe not. I read mixed reviews on both, some saying this may be more stable, or the gas could be gone? I'm not sure if I'd want to sit on something bouncy.. Are there any other differences between the two, e.g. is the Nitro heavier? Why is there only such a small price difference?

I got the nitro for that extra give. I feel it helps my back a lot. Some don’t like the movement, but it’s way more comfy than my manual one. So far as the gas is concerned, if it goes bad, the cartridges are easy enough to replace.

Same.

I have both and I like the nitro better. The slight give and bounce are what make it so comfy to me. I also have a back rest on it so it's a total old guy throne. :ROFLMAO:

Although, the nitro throne is a bit heavier than the manual.

I had to get the spinning height adjustment. The nitro didn't go as low since I sit close to the carpet. The seat?..dont like the inverted indent. The backrest in between tunes is magic. It's a pain to haul around out of my Hard case.

Last edited:
A lot of nitro thrones don't break down.

Make sure it can break down for moving unless it's staying put.

I found my core and hip flexors felt overworked after using a nitro throne a few times. I was trying to keep from bouncing and not rotate. Many swear by them though.

I don’t like the bounce of the nitro thrones for drumming. I rely on a constant height in order to hit rimshots consistently—I hated going for a rimshot and hitting just the rim because the seat was “low” in that instant. Spindle seat for me.

With that said, I LOVE the nitro throne when sitting at the recording/mixing desk. It’s great to be able to adjust the height quickly, multiple times, during a long session.

Thank you all for sharing your experiences. It's a pity I can't try them anywhere and have to rely on online returns..it would be nice to compare the two. I can’t imagine the bouncing of the Nitro..

edit: will find out soon, bought it as well.

Last edited:
I've used 2 Nitros exclusively for the last 8 years. The first one has a saddle seat, which initially I thought felt comfortable, but after buying the 2nd one with a round seat I found my bass drum technique felt easier with the round one-- almost as if the saddle seat inhibited my leg muscle's movements to some degree. I've experimented back and forth a few times, concluding the round seat is better for my both bass and hi hat motions.
I also have had some lower back issues from time to time but never felt the nitro complicated back comfort. In fact, like Drum Mir, the micro bounce-give that happens when I sit down initially feels fine, but I don't really get a bounce after that when playing around.
I also find both seats extremely well made, with no compressing on the edges to "tip" you over while seated on any part.
I've replaced the cartridge, feet, and lever on one, purchased directly from Roc n Soc (who actually answers their phone when you call and will provide the items w/prompt shipping).

I've used 2 Nitros exclusively for the last 8 years. The first one has a saddle seat, which initially I thought felt comfortable, but after buying the 2nd one with a round seat I found my bass drum technique felt easier with the round one-- almost as if the saddle seat inhibited my leg muscle's movements to some degree. I've experimented back and forth a few times, concluding the round seat is better for my both bass and hi hat motions.
I also have had some lower back issues from time to time but never felt the nitro complicated back comfort. In fact, like Drum Mir, the micro bounce-give that happens when I sit down initially feels fine, but I don't really get a bounce after that when playing around.
I also find both seats extremely well made, with no compressing on the edges to "tip" you over while seated on any part.
I've replaced the cartridge, feet, and lever on one, purchased directly from Roc n Soc (who actually answers their phone when you call and will provide the items w/prompt shipping).
I was originally looking for the round one, thinking it would provide more support, I never liked saddle seats, but the round one is even harder to find. So I just got the original saddle one to try and it felt great. I like that it's wide, and then I saw the round is about 3" smaller.. (14" vs 17") Isn't it weird to sit on such a donut shape? Does that bump around the edge flatten?

I got the manual one, because that's what I could order with easy returns and the cushion is amazingly comfy, but I'm worried I'm missing out on some cool feature not having the Nitro, or maybe that would be even better with back pain, or maybe not. I read mixed reviews on both, some saying this may be more stable, or the gas could be gone? I'm not sure if I'd want to sit on something bouncy...
This likely won't be well received, but here goes. Back in the 80's I had a Samson "nitrous" charged drum throne as it was the latest greatest throne to come down the proverbial pipeline to help combat back issues because of the give from the nitrous charge. But in the 90's there was an article that came out by medical professionals saying that these type of thrones could facilitate back injuries (if I remember correctly it didn't say that they caused back injuries). The article implicated that there are numerous things in one's environment that likely caused the back pain to begin with and the number one issue with drummers isn't necessarily the type of throne you use, but rather finding the proper height and maintaining proper posture. The general conclusion of these medical experts--most of whom were also drummers--was to find a manual adjustable throne that you can dial in and lock the height.

Over the decades I've discovered I've done a number of things that have contributed to my back issues, but none of my thrones were the primary cause of these issues. That being said I say find a comfortable throne that works for you and stick with it. I finally went with the Ford Smart Ass throne--one tractor seat and one round--that I used for drumming and long days on film sets doing location audio recording. They're made with high quality memory foam and once they were broken in they have been the most comfortable thrones I've ever used. Incidentally they are both mounted on Gibraltar heavy duty spindle throne stands.

One of the negatives with my old Samson throne is that when it went out . . . it went out big time and was useless as it dropped to the lowest height and there was no way to adjust it again. A good spindle throne should last a long time depending on the amount of usage. But any throne that you deem helps your back, by all means use it.

Again, posture and height are the key factors. Isolate and rule out any other lifestyle things that may be the actual cause of your back pain, preferably with a doctor or physical therapist. I would surmise a lot of back issues for drummers may start with the amount of gear you lift and carry loading in and out of gigs. Your money may be better spent on a MultiCart to roll your gear in instead of buying a super high dollar throne.

My two cents worth based on prior experience and as a former young buck who always thought I would never be the victim of back issues.

This likely won't be well received, but here goes. Back in the 80's I had a Samson "nitrous" charged drum throne as it was the latest greatest throne to come down the proverbial pipeline to help combat back issues because of the give from the nitrous charge. But in the 90's there was an article that came out by medical professionals saying that these type of thrones could facilitate back injuries (if I remember correctly it didn't say that they caused back injuries). The article implicated that there are numerous things in one's environment that likely caused the back pain to begin with and the number one issue with drummers isn't necessarily the type of throne you use, but rather finding the proper height and maintaining proper posture. The general conclusion of these medical experts--most of whom were also drummers--was to find a manual adjustable throne that you can dial in and lock the height.

Over the decades I've discovered I've done a number of things that have contributed to my back issues, but none of my thrones were the primary cause of these issues. That being said I say find a comfortable throne that works for you and stick with it. I finally went with the Ford Smart Ass throne--one tractor seat and one round--that I used for drumming and long days on film sets doing location audio recording. They're made with high quality memory foam and once they were broken in they have been the most comfortable thrones I've ever used. Incidentally they are both mounted on Gibraltar heavy duty spindle throne stands.

One of the negatives with my old Samson throne is that when it went out . . . it went out big time and was useless as it dropped to the lowest height and there was no way to adjust it again. A good spindle throne should last a long time depending on the amount of usage. But any throne that you deem helps your back, by all means use it.

Again, posture and height are the key factors. Isolate and rule out any other lifestyle things that may be the actual cause of your back pain, preferably with a doctor or physical therapist. I would surmise a lot of back issues for drummers may start with the amount of gear you lift and carry loading in and out of gigs. Your money may be better spent on a MultiCart to roll your gear in instead of buying a super high dollar throne.

My two cents worth based on prior experience and as a former young buck who always thought I would never be the victim of back issues.
I'm in receipt of this POV, and it's well received, actually. My back issues aren't from drumming, but from years of running. I did well with my old Ludwig/Gibraltar throne from 1987 until just prior to 2020 when it had gotten rather worn, and didn't serve my aging body. The drum throne seat is probably something we should reevaluate every 3-5 years depending on use, wear, and one's overall health. That's my two cents worth.

My thoughts on experts is they are too narrowly focused. The real world is different. My two thrones are exactly the same height, but I’m constantly dancing on the pedals and the bit of give helps me.

Experts gave my buddy meds and darned near killed his liver. They then told him he would have to live with it till he died from an untimely death.

He did his own research and went down the path of natural solutions. Lo and behold, the experts are perplexed and can’t figure out how he healed himself.

Leave the experts to what they do best. Give opinions for money. Listen to your body.

My thoughts on experts is they are too narrowly focused. The real world is different. My two thrones are exactly the same height, but I’m constantly dancing on the pedals and the bit of give helps me.

Experts gave my buddy meds and darned near killed his liver. They then told him he would have to live with it till he died from an untimely death.

He did his own research and went down the path of natural solutions. Lo and behold, the experts are perplexed and can’t figure out how he healed himself.

Leave the experts to what they do best. Give opinions for money. Listen to your body.
I hear you. And so sorry to hear about your friend. Let me reiterate: if you have a comfortable throne that works for you by all means stick with it.

The reason that I cited the article in my original post is that it was written primarily by drummers in the medical field. They were seeing a disproportionate amount of back related issues from individuals using the model throne I was using in the 80's and 90's.

The best help I've had medically with back and muscle issues has been from some exceptional physical therapists who helped identify lifestyle issues that caused the injury. Years of riding a hardtail Harley, bicycling hundreds of miles a month for years, backpacking loads of video and audio equipment up mountains, and over lifting items in general ultimately all took their toll. I thought I was invincible until I got in my mid to late 50's. Physical therapists helped me get through the severe injuries with treatment, proper exercise and great counsel on what I needed to do differently to be preventative.

Speaking of "experts", I watched this video, too, just to get more confused..
but no matter what they say, after trying the RNS seat, my little flat round one feels like sitting on a tennis ball

There are many who love the split throne on this forum. I haven’t had one, but I still do have my R-n-S tractor style seat. It was recommended to me to address my back pain. Used it for two decades before getting the round. I discovered I hurt way less and could play longer with a simple round one with firm padding like the R-n-S offering. That said, I’m pretty sure it’s been discontinued.

What he says in the video makes total sense to me. The indent in the middle of the R-n-S throne isn’t anything he talked about in the video. For me, it works great. I feel even pressure when I’m sitting on it and have zero issues balancing. With the tractor style, I’m always fighting to not fall forward.

Many are huge fans of the tractor style too. Like the perfect pedal, you have to try a few to see which works best. Just as with my current pedal, I stopped thinking about the throne when I got my current one. I used to always try and adjust and readjust my position to find the perfect spot. Kinda like constantly adjusting your pedal - spring, beater, height, etc when your pedal isn’t working for you.

People can swear by one throne/pedal or other all day long, but ultimately it’s your body that decides. With contact points, you have to forget they’re there or they aren’t right.

I hear you. And so sorry to hear about your friend. Let me reiterate: if you have a comfortable throne that works for you by all means stick with it.

The reason that I cited the article in my original post is that it was written primarily by drummers in the medical field. They were seeing a disproportionate amount of back related issues from individuals using the model throne I was using in the 80's and 90's.

The best help I've had medically with back and muscle issues has been from some exceptional physical therapists who helped identify lifestyle issues that caused the injury. Years of riding a hardtail Harley, bicycling hundreds of miles a month for years, backpacking loads of video and audio equipment up mountains, and over lifting items in general ultimately all took their toll. I thought I was invincible until I got in my mid to late 50's. Physical therapists helped me get through the severe injuries with treatment, proper exercise and great counsel on what I needed to do differently to be preventative.
All valid points. I’ve had to work my way through a few experts over the years to get the right solution. It always helps when the expert puts down the book and listens. Unfortunately, it doesn’t happen often enough.

Back