Ringo Starr

The initial Beatles invasion caught my eye but sadly I lost interest and tended to go more with the frantic Keith Moon and Dave Clark and the gritty Rolling Stones with Charlie Watts. But you can always tell a Beatles song because of Ringo's signature sound and way of playing a song-like Don't let me down and the intro of Come together. Funny I always take liberties with covering a song but with Beatles songs seems like heresy to change it and feel an obligation to try and emulate Ringo.

I've been following Ringo on Facebook and he is tearing it up in Asia. Japan and Korea are going crazy and are huge fans. Some great photos posted.

But who the heck was playing the tambourine? On some of the older Beatles, it was the icing on the cake.

Quite often George Martin . Ya I agree TAmb plays a big part in some of their songs. Just think of 'We can work it out' without it.

Without Ringo Starr, they sounded like this

In 1962, with Pete Best at the famous Decca Audition (in which Decca rejected the Beatles). One wonders what they might have sounded like with Ringo's touch.
Decca Studios, West Hampstead, 1 January 1962
The Beatles' famous audition for Decca Records took place in London on New Year's Day in 1962. The group - John Lennon, Paul McCartney, George Harrison and Pete Best - travelled down from Liverpool with driver and roadie Neil Aspinall. Beset by snowstorms, the party eventually arrived just in time for the 11am audition. Brian Epstein had travelled separately on train. The Beatles recorded 15 songs altogether. Five of the Decca recordings - Searchin', Three Cool Cats, The Sheik Of Araby, Like Dreamers Do and Hello Little Girl - appeared on the Anthology 1 collection in 1995.

https://youtu.be/TTMlZxHk938

Ringo was a major influence on me when I first started playing about 5 years ago. Sure he wasn't the reason why I picked up sticks (it was actually my brother's high school marching band, which I was later a part of) but my favorite band at the time, and still is, The Beatles, so I sat down and drummed along to Ringo tracks. I absolutly love him. Plus I saw him live, so eat that!

Even though now I've moved on and I'm jamming with Cream, Hendrix, Deep Purple, and The Who, I still go back to my all-time favorite band and lay down some 'slightly' more complicated fills on top of Ringo's. Its so much fun, he is such a great drummer. I still have trouble playing the End solo :(

Even compared with all the drummers of today, just take a listen to Abbey Road, and on it you'll hear some of the best drumming of all time. Even if you aren't impressed with his skill, listen to his drum sound. It is unmatched before and since. Those toms just give me the willies when I hear them!

trouble with the solo u kidding correct, I can do inagaddavida solo so...... but Ringo ya love the snare sound he had

Some drummers rip into Ringo as a simpleton drummer. I think where they miss the boat is that you have to put the Beatles into context. Their trademark that swept across the globe were those harmonizing vocals. When you have that as your forte, you don't need some Keith Moon or Carl Palmer stealing the focus away from the forefront back to the rhythm section. Paul's Bass lines weren't the most complicated or substantial and certainly John or George's guitar lead solos did not compare with say the Yardbirds 3, either. But that is not what their focus was and had they had such a musician in the Beatles at the time, he would have most certainly been fired. You had similar situations in the Stones and AC/DC.

I enjoyed, thank you!
He IS a great source of inspiration!

Thanks for posting.
You can never have enough Ringo stuff.

He's so genuinely modest and its funny how he diffuses all the compliments by stating simple facts as to why he played a particular groove- in many cases it was either easiest to do it that way or because he was a lefty on a right kit.

He also said his grandma didn't like him playing lefty so 'she made him play on a righty kit.' Therefore to his grandma, we owe eternal gratitude (but why would she care?).

[My folks could've cared less I was lefty and got a lefty kit; my private teacher encouraged a lefty set up since it would utilize the stronger left foot for the all important bass drum. The only handicap is when you show up at a jam and have to switch things back and forth...]

Happy Birthday today, 7/7/17, to Ringo Starr, and my sister Judy. Rock on.

Attachments

• IMG_4622.JPG
    IMG_4622.JPG
    102.8 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:
Happy Birthday Rings! And your sister Judy too!

I know a guy who was born on 7/7/77 at 7:07 AM.

He was the original drummer for Doctor Dog, and coincidentally, my former next door neighbor.

Happy Birthday Justin Stens!

That's a lot of 7's!

Happy Birthday to your sister, Grunt! Is she an older sister that worked you over every now and then (when you needed it), or are you the big brother? :)

Back